Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bayer  
#1 Posted : 11 August 2009 02:21:31(UTC)
Bayer

Hi all,

In a addition to Märklin I also collect gauge H0 made by a danish manufacturer called "Long". They made model trains of the danish prototypes the MY 1101-1104 and MO 573 and goods and passenger wagons. Unfortunately "Long" only existed for about 17 years, from the ending of the forties to the middle of the sixties. Therefore it is rarely seen on markets and on auctions, even here in Denmark, so when I see something I buy it almost immediately if the price is fair and the condition is good.

Here is some pictures of my little "Long" collection including both the MY and the MO and some wagons.

Here is the MY 1102 with its original box. This one here was made around the fifties and is a very rare DC version. You can see the two pick-up shoes on the boogie to the right:
UserPostedImage

Here is a better photo of the box. It is very easy to see where the inspiration for the illustration on box comes from:
UserPostedImage

The MO 573 with its original box. This one here has a number, 537, printed on the undercarriage. With this number I have found out it was sold the 11th of October 1955:
UserPostedImage

This box is also inspired of Märklin's Boxes. Here it looks like the old bicycle boxes.

The motor inside of these locos is very big and when the loco runs it actually sounds like a diesel engine:
UserPostedImage

The power boogie is made just like the ones on the Märklin ST, DL, DT and RE 800's. Here it is the MY:
UserPostedImage

Here is a passenger wagon. This is, however, very rare, because it is made for the Norwegian market. "NSB" is just written over "DSB CD 1201". Instead of "Long" it is stamped "TEKNO". This was "Long's" name in Norway:
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Here is my last piece. A closed goods wagon made for DC with Fleischmann couplers. It also has it original box:
UserPostedImage

Hope you have enjoyed the pictures and comments and questions are very welcome.

Regards,
Thor
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by Bayer
Offline TroyYang  
#2 Posted : 11 August 2009 02:48:55(UTC)
TroyYang

Very interesting indeed. These are model trains from the old world.
Troy
San Francisco, USA
Marklin HO - all eras and everything.
Offline john black  
#3 Posted : 11 August 2009 04:05:32(UTC)
john black

United States   
Hi Thor Smile,

WOW - you see me deeply impressed, what treasures you got there - congratulations [:p][:p][:p]
And looking closely at your pictures one can see why the company lasted for 17 years, only -
their products simply were too good for the market thus rather expensive to make, perhaps.
Quality & craftmanship of motor and transmission simply look superb ... CoolCoolCool

I do remember when I was about 12 (in the early 1960s) I had an JAGUAR E-Type and an
MERCEDES 220SE, both made by TEKNO. Those heavy metal models could get disassembled,
and were steered by pressing down the front fenders. Real coil suspension, too ... Smile

I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by john black
Offline Oscar  
#4 Posted : 11 August 2009 09:46:59(UTC)
Oscar

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by john black
<br />WOW - you see me deeply impressed, what treasures you got there - congratulations [:p] And looking closely at your pictures one can see why the company lasted for 17 years, only - their products simply were too good for the market thus rather expensive to make, perhaps.
Quality & craftmanship of motor and transmission simply look superb

<font face="Verdana][size=2]My thoughts exactly! This is very impressive stuff!</font id="Verdana]
Offline Bayer  
#5 Posted : 11 August 2009 13:33:22(UTC)
Bayer

Thank you all for your replies. You are right the quality is superb and everything is very good made. The only places where I can see some problems are the plastic wagons which sometimes shrink because of stress in the plastic and on the nylon universal joint, which is almost worn out on MO and sometimes pops out.
I have linked to a danish web-site with some old "Long" catalogs:

http://www.kvv73.dk/Long...talog/long_kataloger.htm

I remember my grandfather telling me, that at the time around the fifties and sixties you could get around four danish kr. for one Deutsche Mark (correct me if I'm wrong) That means if you bought a "Long" MY for 143 danish kr. you could for the same amount of money only get a DA 800 or a SET 800 and if you decided to buy a CCS 800 or DL 800 you should pay 400 danish kr. [:o]. A hourly wage for a workman here in Denmark at the time was around 9-10 danish kr.

John, the TEKNO cars that you had or maybe still have? was made by another manufacturer. They made cars and metal construction kits here in Denmark and are collector's items today. My father has some and they are also very well made. The only reason why "Long" called themselves TEKNO in Norway, was that someone else already was called "Long" in Norway.

Regards,
Thor

P.S If some here has some "Long" are you very welcome to post pictures of it. All information and pictures on the Internet are very scarce.
Offline john black  
#6 Posted : 11 August 2009 13:44:14(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bayer
<br />The only reason why "Long" called themselves TEKNO in Norway
was that someone else already was called "Long" in Norway.

Guess our friend Adrian's family clan been first (like that ever present uncoupler thingy) biggrin
Seriously, Thor - the model cars are long gone, alas [xx(]. At age 12 I was rather dumb, then ...
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline Caplin  
#7 Posted : 11 August 2009 14:27:41(UTC)
Caplin

Hej Thor,
Great collection. Happy to see that Long items from my youth is still valued. I suppose that you know of/attend the quite big SAMLERTRÆF FOR GAMMELT LEGETØJ in FREDERIKSBERGHALLEN, where most items are trains. It is held on selected sundays the year round. I have seen Long items there occationally. Happy hunting for more.
Regards,
Benny - Outsider and MFDWPL

UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#8 Posted : 11 August 2009 15:06:50(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Thor, thanks for sharing those fabulous pictures. They don't make stuff like that any more! (Even my Big Boy had a screw fall out from somewhere when I took it out of its box today, after receiving it in the mail!)
Offline intruder  
#9 Posted : 12 August 2009 02:15:55(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Very interesting, Thor!

Nice collection of rare items. Thank you.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline Bayer  
#10 Posted : 13 August 2009 19:15:07(UTC)
Bayer

Thank you all for your friendly comments.

Actually, Benny, I didn't know of the big samlertræf for gammelt legetøj in Frederiksberghallen. Thank you very much for the tip. It looks very interesting and something I'll probably go to the next time. As I live in Helsingør it won't be a long trip going to Frederiksberg. Have you seen Märklin from the fifties or maybe older there?

Regards,
Thor
Offline steventrain  
#11 Posted : 13 August 2009 20:20:15(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Very nice!

Is the loco too heavy?
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Bayer  
#12 Posted : 13 August 2009 21:09:56(UTC)
Bayer

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by steventrain
<br />Is the loco too heavy?

Both the Locos weigh about 650 grams.

Regards,
Thor
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bayer
Offline jvasconcelos  
#13 Posted : 16 June 2021 14:08:02(UTC)
jvasconcelos

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: Bayer Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

In a addition to Märklin I also collect gauge H0 made by a danish manufacturer called "Long". They made model trains of the danish prototypes the MY 1101-1104 and MO 573 and goods and passenger wagons. Unfortunately "Long" only existed for about 17 years, from the ending of the forties to the middle of the sixties. Therefore it is rarely seen on markets and on auctions, even here in Denmark, so when I see something I buy it almost immediately if the price is fair and the condition is good.

Here is some pictures of my little "Long" collection including both the MY and the MO and some wagons.

Here is the MY 1102 with its original box. This one here was made around the fifties and is a very rare DC version. You can see the two pick-up shoes on the boogie to the right:
UserPostedImage

Here is a better photo of the box. It is very easy to see where the inspiration for the illustration on box comes from:
UserPostedImage

The MO 573 with its original box. This one here has a number, 537, printed on the undercarriage. With this number I have found out it was sold the 11th of October 1955:
UserPostedImage

This box is also inspired of Märklin's Boxes. Here it looks like the old bicycle boxes.

The motor inside of these locos is very big and when the loco runs it actually sounds like a diesel engine:
UserPostedImage

The power boogie is made just like the ones on the Märklin ST, DL, DT and RE 800's. Here it is the MY:
UserPostedImage

Here is a passenger wagon. This is, however, very rare, because it is made for the Norwegian market. "NSB" is just written over "DSB CD 1201". Instead of "Long" it is stamped "TEKNO". This was "Long's" name in Norway:
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Here is my last piece. A closed goods wagon made for DC with Fleischmann couplers. It also has it original box:
UserPostedImage

Hope you have enjoyed the pictures and comments and questions are very welcome.

Regards,
Thor

Hello interesting post and very useful to me since I also have one Long diesel loco My1102.
If you have more info about this I am happy to learn more about it.

Thank you
Regards

Joao

IMG_20210616_120148.jpg
IMG_20210616_120232.jpg
IMG_20210616_120219.jpg
IMG_20210616_120204.jpg
IMG_20210616_120142.jpg
IMG_20210615_221717.jpg
IMG_20210614_171040.jpg
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by jvasconcelos
Offline marklinist5999  
#14 Posted : 16 June 2021 16:07:57(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
First I've heard of "Long"! How well does the knurled gearing provide power? As this is older, no doubt, the Korean maker F.M. models copied the drive in brass for my brass bodied GHB International Amtrak AEM-7. It does not work so well. Perhaps the bras has worn thinner and the gears aren't meshing well. I have not ran it much, and it always was this way. I did buy it new. I think these maybe were given to Amtrak retirees as an award, or for 25 or more years of service.
Amtrak and GM EMD licensed to build them from Asea of Sweden.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#15 Posted : 16 June 2021 23:06:39(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
The interesting thing about Long is that the manufacturer aimed these articles squarely at the Märklin user market.
They were nicely made and robust.
I have a few pieces of Long passenger and freight rolling stock and they run perfectly happily on my C track digital layout without modification.
They look really good behind modern Märklin models of Danish steam era locomotives.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Giel9988  
#16 Posted : 26 October 2021 11:44:51(UTC)
Giel9988

Belgium   
Hello Bayer, hello everyone,

I would like to learn more about a particular Long locomotive (Long 500 in Belgian NMBS livery?). 
I want to sell it but have no idea what the value is.
The locomotive was bought in the 1950’s by my great grandfather and ended up in the wrong hands for a while. It was been damaged on purpose.

Photos: https://drive.google.com...fYVJ1YvFq8Jt?usp=sharing
(I can always add more photos/videos if necessary)

https://link.2dehands.be...&utm_content=app_ios

Kind regards and thanking you in advance,
Giel

Originally Posted by: Bayer Go to Quoted Post
Thank you all for your replies. You are right the quality is superb and everything is very good made. The only places where I can see some problems are the plastic wagons which sometimes shrink because of stress in the plastic and on the nylon universal joint, which is almost worn out on MO and sometimes pops out.
I have linked to a danish web-site with some old "Long" catalogs:

http://www.kvv73.dk/Long...talog/long_kataloger.htm

I remember my grandfather telling me, that at the time around the fifties and sixties you could get around four danish kr. for one Deutsche Mark (correct me if I'm wrong) That means if you bought a "Long" MY for 143 danish kr. you could for the same amount of money only get a DA 800 or a SET 800 and if you decided to buy a CCS 800 or DL 800 you should pay 400 danish kr. [:o]. A hourly wage for a workman here in Denmark at the time was around 9-10 danish kr.

John, the TEKNO cars that you had or maybe still have? was made by another manufacturer. They made cars and metal construction kits here in Denmark and are collector's items today. My father has some and they are also very well made. The only reason why "Long" called themselves TEKNO in Norway, was that someone else already was called "Long" in Norway.

Regards,
Thor

P.S If some here has some "Long" are you very welcome to post pictures of it. All information and pictures on the Internet are very scarce.