Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline g.berish@verizon.net  
#1 Posted : 20 March 2024 19:45:58(UTC)
g.berish@verizon.net

United States   
20240320_104654.jpg20240320_104709.jpg20240320_104604.jpg20240320_140630.jpg20240320_141144.jpg

I have an old Marklin 3030 SJ electric locomotive. I believe it's from the late '60s or early '70s. I purchased this used at a show. It has been fitted with what I was told was a 6090 decoder. I operate a CS3. The address of the decoder was set to 80. I can get the CS3 to recognize the decoder. I can switch the lights on and off and can reverse the direction. But the locomotive won't move. I tried changing addresses with the same result. I tried using an old analog transformer and ran into the same situation. The lights work bu the loco won't budge. It looks like the wires are all connected. There are a few unused wires, I'm guessing for hooking up to other functions which this 3030 doesn't have. I'm not sure which motor it has.

Included some pics of the decoder. Any suggestion would be great.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by g.berish@verizon.net
Offline ktsolias  
#2 Posted : 20 March 2024 22:52:18(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Looks that is a motor problem
Disassemble and clean the motor
Oil on the gears
New brushes

This may solve the problem

Costas
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline Tie  
#3 Posted : 22 March 2024 13:45:40(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
I probably should keep my mouth shut… because I do not have an answer:but I assume the decoder provide some kind of DC current to the motor… and then: does the old motor require AC current?

Regards
Thor
Offline pederbc  
#4 Posted : 22 March 2024 15:38:18(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Hi,
It seems to have a stator with fixed magnet (needed for dc). But take a close look at the plastic motor side. It seems to be misaligned, at least according to the picture.

Peder
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by pederbc
Offline mbarreto  
#5 Posted : 22 March 2024 17:23:13(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

Maybe I am seeing wrong, but it seems that in place of the coils, there are resistors...

Miguel

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline PeFu  
#6 Posted : 22 March 2024 18:03:29(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: pederbc Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
It seems to have a stator with fixed magnet (needed for dc). But take a close look at the plastic motor side. It seems to be misaligned, at least according to the picture.

I agree, this doesn’t look OK.

Paper.Journal.1.jpeg

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline g.berish@verizon.net  
#7 Posted : 03 April 2024 18:09:34(UTC)
g.berish@verizon.net

United States   
I replaced the brushes and after some adjustments, it works well. As for the DC motor, I wondered about what type of motor it has because it doesn't look like other motors from Marklin. It was probably something someone home-built.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#8 Posted : 03 April 2024 18:53:09(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: g.berish@verizon.net Go to Quoted Post
I replaced the brushes and after some adjustments, it works well. As for the DC motor, I wondered about what type of motor it has because it doesn't look like other motors from Marklin. It was probably something someone home-built.

Hi
Difficult to be 100% sure but in HIGH probability, the original motor (SFCM) is still in place but its coiled inductor has been replaced by an ESU magnet for this motor type.
Installation has been made by "a bricoleur du Dimanche" (A Sunday home worker) with improper assembly of the motor (the brushholder is screwed obliquely and the inductances not properly insulated. It is almost a miracle that the rotor did not burnt (they usually do if you apply power while they are blocked) or the decoder did not burnt with nothing to insulate the motor output from the metal casing.

A very nice loco alltogether.

Cheers

Jean

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB