Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jonas_sthlm  
#1 Posted : 15 March 2024 19:47:23(UTC)
jonas_sthlm

Sweden   
Curious to hear your expertise Cool

How do you do it and which settings should be changed or removed when downgrade to c90 with DC engine project ?

In the excel mSD3 63a 2843 NSB.xlsx (25kb) downloaded 5 time(s). file, I have specified between the different decoder settings through mDT3 tool.

First two column are default open project mSD and mSD3 settings, then mfx settings from Norwegian steam (37158) 63a through CS3 with c90 and finally the new Br52 39xxx DC engine.

mSD3-63a-2843-NSB-3.3.1.0.mdtp from original M39530_Güterzug-Dampflok-BR-52-Wannentender.mdtp

Is there any steam model earlier delivered with mounted c90 engine and mSD3 decoder.

How have you done with these values Confused
Motor RPM Offset = 8 [ f(x)=a*x+b a=Slope, b=Base voltage ]
Motor RPM Increase = 65
Gear Ratio = 19 [ Defines the ratio x motor rpm to wheel speed. A wheel speed is produced by x motor rpm ]
Wheel Circumference [mm] = 49 [ Defines the distance from the wheel speed. (U = π*d=2*π*r ) ] This one is easy...

In some project they set "Control Type" to (1 Auto Pl controller) or (0 2 point controller) what is the difference together with c90 engine Confused

There are some retro models with mounted mLD3 decoders and they have sometime settings (1 Auto Pl controller) or (0 2 point controller).

Edited by user 16 March 2024 10:32:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Collecting Swedish items since the 80s / CS3+ / MSW / 60175 Booster / 60881 S88 AC / TC10 Gold / K, C-Tracks / Favorites Class Ra / modelltag.se - Forum modelltag.se - Facebook modelltag.se - YouTube
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 16 March 2024 11:12:50(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Jonas
I am surprised at your approach (seems complicated to me).
Here is what I do:
- select in mDecoderTool3 and its projects what is the one I like for the loco type (check by reference number which is closest to your project.
- check one by one all included sounds and replace them when appropriate
- program the mSD3 decoder (I use my CS3 or CS2)
- update the motor type (in the Märklin projects, often the motor types are not correct)
- prepare a loop of rails (R2 preferable) to allow the loco to do a self adjusment of parameter (writing CV7=77) and turning the speed knob and let go.

Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline jonas_sthlm  
#3 Posted : 16 March 2024 12:15:39(UTC)
jonas_sthlm

Sweden   
Yes, it's the easy way, but now I was a bit curious about going deeper into some settings that missing a good documentation Smile

When now M provide decoders with different values... or perhaps some gimmicks Confused

Its a little bit of impossible to run 77 into CV7 right now with the latest version 2.5.2(6) installed....
Collecting Swedish items since the 80s / CS3+ / MSW / 60175 Booster / 60881 S88 AC / TC10 Gold / K, C-Tracks / Favorites Class Ra / modelltag.se - Forum modelltag.se - Facebook modelltag.se - YouTube
Offline bph  
#4 Posted : 16 March 2024 15:23:58(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Basically, I do the same as JohnjeanB

I start with a modern mSD3 project and change the motor type and only the following if needed:
Motor RPM Offset
Motor RPM Increase
Gear Ratio
Wheel Circumference [mm]
For the data on these above, I often use the data from older projects that used to be located under the m60_L55 folder. as these often have the data for older locomotives.
and note that there might also be errors in the old projects........ (and I probably have some decoders with incorrect data)

Then I do an automatic calibration, and if I remember correctly the Control Type is also changed during calibration if needed. (I usually start with Auto Pl controller)

I also do the chuff calibration manually and use the decoder values as a starting point only. But I'm no expert in this I just make it so it's fairly reasonable.
Note there was an article about chuff calibration in a "recent" Marklin magazine, but it was only very basic, without proper explanation.

As for sound, I do not use any old settings, in fact, I make sure that the sound configuration files are from a recent project with the latest options. As for the equaliser settings, those need to be adapted to each project in combination with the speaker used. but for standard Märklin speakers, the default settings are usually OK. (I still have i bit to learn here to get the best results)

I do wish that Marklin could have made a proper advanced manual for the mSD3/mLD3 with every setting in the mdecodertool properly explained.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 16 March 2024 16:33:05(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: jonas_sthlm Go to Quoted Post
Yes, it's the easy way, but now I was a bit curious about going deeper into some settings that missing a good documentation Smile

When now M provide decoders with different values... or perhaps some gimmicks Confused

Its a little bit of impossible to run 77 into CV7 right now with the latest version 2.5.2(6) installed....

Jonas, I wouldn't say it is the easy way but rather the way advised by Märklin and only related to basic operation.
Having said this, there are other adjustments:
- the brake squealing: when to trigger it, from which speed, how long, etc
- the cylinder noises on steamers: 2, 3 or 4 cylinder locos, big wheels, small wheels
- the fonction keys: what they are triggering (which sound(s), which physical fonctions, etc)
- the standard setting of fonctions (Examples: all inertia suppression with F4, all smoke with F1, all front light with F0, all long whistle with F5, etc)
- the combination fonctions (reverse reduced speed to uncouple with Telex, Swiss lighting, etc)
- the random fonctions (mostly sound)
- the "special" fonctions (inertial suppression, starting fonctions.
- the logical fonctions

There is almost enough to write a book on the programming
Cheers
Jean