Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#1 Posted : 19 February 2024 02:46:52(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi all,

Curious if anyone has abandoned Preiserlinge for a more affordable solution? I am looking to populate the interiors of my HO scale passenger coaches, and simply cannot afford a preiser-esque solution, not can I even fake the interest in painting the cheap, but unpainted, Preiser options.

Which brings me to options such as these below. Has anyone tried any? Or have a good recommendation? I understand they are not going to be perfection, but I'm curious if any are "good enough" for the job if coach interiors?

Thanks for any recommendations!

The dream is these at a fraction of the price:
https://www.ebay.com/itm...D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR7yhtvC3Yw

Other options:

https://www.ebay.com/itm...%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBMvKG28Ldj

https://www.aliexpress.u...3Asearch%7Cquery_from%3A

https://www.aliexpress.u...3Asearch%7Cquery_from%3A

SBB Era 2-5
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline PeFu  
#2 Posted : 19 February 2024 03:39:25(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#3 Posted : 19 February 2024 04:51:51(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post

Fantastic- just what I needed to know- thank you! And in the process, you solved two of my LED lighting curiosities as well!

1- The relay/decoder combination works! With a ground spring per car, but current conducting couplings I wasn't sure how to arrange the decoder, and a friend recommended the relay approach, but hadn't tried it.

2- Excellent on the taillight setup! Do the 2.2mm leds fit into the marklin light bar holes, or do you have to drill the holes larger? (or do you just glue them to the back of the light bar?)

I really appreciate the response on the passengers!

SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline PeFu  
#4 Posted : 19 February 2024 06:56:53(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Do the 2.2mm leds fit into the marklin light bar holes, or do you have to drill the holes larger? (or do you just glue them to the back of the light bar?)

I drilled holes at the back of all end cars. On some cars, I also needed to mask the inside of the car with black paint, as the back/side light of the LED’s can shine through the car walls.
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline marklinist5999  
#5 Posted : 19 February 2024 13:57:22(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Regarding figures, the paint work looks sloppy to me. I bought the 100 count unpainted seated passengers from Amazon. Only $6 or $8. They are actually Preiser figures from the older sets. Old and modern dressed, casual and formal. Even the toruist with binoculars, and you get at least two to three of each per set.
Offline dominator  
#6 Posted : 22 February 2024 00:13:37(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Hi John, I have used the 1:100 figures. they are a better fit as you can see in the photo below

20240222_120509.jpg
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline David Dewar  
#7 Posted : 22 February 2024 15:33:35(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Either Preiser or coach manufacturers have got it wrong. If they say both HO scale why are we removing legs from the wee people to get them to sit on seats. The coach seats should be suitable for the people or the people should be suitable for the seats if both are said to be the same scale. Tried N scale and TT people but they just dont look right. Meanwhile I will continue to use the operating theatre for Preisers.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#8 Posted : 22 February 2024 18:15:56(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Thanks all! I ordered a 60 piece wet on "welcome deal" for a whole $3.68USD including shipping (!). At that price I can afford to gamble :)

I'll send images of what turns up! Along with some size comparisons to preiserlinge
SBB Era 2-5
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#9 Posted : 09 March 2024 19:25:29(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
And here is our faceless crowd! I ended up buying two sets from another vendor, which arrived well ahead of the initial set, which is still MIA. I think they are perfectly fine for carriage interiors. Not nice, but they communicate that the railroad has some revenue ;)

IMG_6503.jpgIMG_6504.jpg
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Ross  
#10 Posted : 09 March 2024 21:00:20(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi All,

I have bought the large bag with 1000 people and found the finish and painting very poor.

See my article Painting Figures

I find I'm using less of the cheap type of figures.
Ross
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Ross
Offline river6109  
#11 Posted : 13 March 2024 07:19:30(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Either Preiser or coach manufacturers have got it wrong. If they say both HO scale why are we removing legs from the wee people to get them to sit on seats. The coach seats should be suitable for the people or the people should be suitable for the seats if both are said to be the same scale. Tried N scale and TT people but they just dont look right. Meanwhile I will continue to use the operating theatre for Preisers.

There must be a lot of operating theatres around the world and its done without any anaesthetic but I've noticed there is no blood present in those people, if this would have been the case I would have had a blood bath by now., some of the Chinese manufacturers can't even be bothered to paint the faces, hands and feet in a different colour, if the clothing is blue so are the face, hands and feet., I don't mind red facesBigGrin

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline marklinist5999  
#12 Posted : 13 March 2024 10:27:22(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Hahaha,yes John.Perhaps a reason why Preiser figures are too large to fit sitting in vehicles and trains without chopping below the waist is so they can be meticulously painted. I do this, and I wouldn't want them any smaller. I believe that each and every figure in the Miniature Wonderland in Hamburg is a Preiserling, and Noch.
Offline Eddie7979  
#13 Posted : 14 March 2024 01:35:00(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Hi all,

Great feedback here and love the article from Ross Stewart, very helpful!

So I’ve recently received an order I placed on Etsy, I bought a set of 100 unpainted seated figurines in HO scale for $23 AUD. You could also buy the painted version but they were really rough, I guess you just get what you pay for.

With painting, I decided to order a desk magnifier with a bright LED light. I’m hoping this will help with the eye strain. On a good note, it’s allowing me to spend time with my mum since she enjoys doing this as well.

IMG_3925.jpeg

IMG_3392.jpeg

Above is the before and after.

PS - for some reason the after photo is upside down in the preview, when clicking on the image it goes the right way round, not sure of the reason since the photo was taken the right way round.

Regards

Eddie
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Eddie7979
Offline Ross  
#14 Posted : 14 March 2024 04:58:02(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Eddie,

Those figures seem to have a bit more detail that the ones I have.
Good luck with your painting
Ross
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ross
Offline mvd71  
#15 Posted : 14 March 2024 10:28:50(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post

There must be a lot of operating theatres around the world and its done without any anaesthetic but I've noticed there is no blood present in those people, if this would have been the case I would have had a blood bath by now., some of the Chinese manufacturers can't even be bothered to paint the faces, hands and feet in a different colour, if the clothing is blue so are the face, hands and feet., I don't mind red facesBigGrin

John

Flash Dave gives them a shot of whisky and a piece of wood to bit on! LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline PJMärklin  
#16 Posted : 14 March 2024 11:57:25(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post
Flash Dave gives them a shot of whisky and a piece of wood to bit on! LOL

LaughLaugh Laugh Laugh
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline marklinist5999  
#17 Posted : 14 March 2024 14:08:15(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
BigGrin Eddie, those are the ones that I bought. If you have any older catalogs or scans, you can tell that they are definitely Preiser. I found them in a 1998Walthers catalog.
Originally Posted by: Eddie7979 Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

So I’ve recently received an order I placed on Etsy, I bought a set of 100 unpainted seated figurines in HO scale for $23 AUD. You could also buy the painted version but they were really rough, I guess you just get what you pay for.

With painting, I decided to order a desk magnifier with a bright LED light. I’m hoping this will help with the eye strain. On a good note, it’s allowing me to spend time with my mum since she enjoys doing this as well.

IMG_3925.jpeg

IMG_3392.jpeg

PS - for some reason the after photo is upside down in the preview, when clicking on the image it goes the right way round, not sure of the reason since the photo was taken the right way round.

Regards

Eddie

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline 1borna  
#18 Posted : 14 March 2024 20:24:08(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
Those Chinese miniatures with disgusting appearance and even worse coloring can only go in vehicles and inside buildings. Somewhere out on the road or platform, next to Preiser or Merten, you would see a huge difference both in terms of size and details.
With a lot of practice and patience, unpainted Preisers can be beautifully painted.

UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline bph  
#19 Posted : 14 March 2024 22:39:40(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: Eddie7979 Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

IMG_3392.jpeg

Regards

Eddie

Thanks for sharing, you have impressive painting skills.Cool
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph