Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#1 Posted : 10 March 2024 03:02:12(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Märklin 26218 Regional trainset - a Review

I have been buying from a German dealer for around 10 years, mostly for second-hand or items no longer available to order from my local dealer.
When I purchased this 26218 set in 2021, he wrote to me and said “Congratulations on buying this gorgeous train set” which is not something he had said for previous purchases.
The set was produced by Märklin in 2008.

I made some preliminary enquiries and yes it has a Soft Drive Sinus motor and shaft-drive system which has been lauded by others here many times. The set introduced new tooling on the BR218 in cast metal, and fitted with the then new MFX decoder which simplifies Märklin digital locomotive set-up. The locomotive and cars are run on the real railways as a Push/Pull set with locomotive leading on an outward journey, and the driver being able to operate from the rear car which becomes a driving trailer with control cab for the return journey.

26218 set

Lighting on the locomotive and on the driving trailer conform to the direction of travel, with red lights showing on the rear vehicle, either trailer or locomotive. The locomotive has extended exhaust stacks, and 4 axles are powered by a cardan shaft running from a centrally mounted motor, with wheels on 1 axle equipped with traction tyres.

When I unpacked the box to run it there were other things about the set that popped out at me. The current-conducting couplers are of a type (2 pin) which I have never seen before on a Märklin train set. Both the locomotive and the driving trailer have a pick-up slider apparently to assist the electronics for lights in the direction of travel. The paint work is very high class, certainly at a standard you can expect from Märklin.

The locomotive is set up at the factory to run alone without the car set, or with any other rolling stock. To operate the loco with the car set, you must first unscrew the loco body, and then remove an electric jumper on a circuit board. Replace the body and the train will now run as it is supposed to. I don’t have (enough or any) German blood in my veins to understand the reasoning behind why Märklin supply it this way. Was Märklin expecting most buyers to never run it as a set?? Maybe a German can explain.

After earning revenue on my layout now for a few weeks, I am impressed by the diesel and operating sounds, and the general controllability of the train. Smooth running through limiting trackwork such as R1 curves, cross overs, curved turnouts, and double slips is a bonus adding to operating satisfaction. Fitting seated passengers to the internal fit-out of the cars might improve its operating viability, something I will consider in a spare hour or two. If you are of a mind to enhance the train, interior car lighting can be achieved with the Märklin part number 73400, or LED self-made sets.

All in all, I like this set and would recommend it if you can get one second-hand to suit your budget.
https://youtu.be/7F2e1RUTlJ4 a rather poor video which I shot using a 3Mp camera purchased in 2003.
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 10 March 2024 03:43:35(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Glad you are enjoying it Kimball. I have three different br 218s, two Marklin, one Roco. One is Delta with the old 3 pole motor.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline GlennM  
#3 Posted : 10 March 2024 08:07:49(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Very nice set Kimball
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
Offline Alsterstreek  
#4 Posted : 10 March 2024 08:18:56(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
A very nice set. Here is a 2009 prototype photo of your three-car train with loco #218 161-8 in push mode:

https://hellertal.startb...sruhe-mit-218-161-8.html

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
The locomotive is set up at the factory to run alone without the car set, or with any other rolling stock. To operate the loco with the car set, you must first unscrew the loco body, and then remove an electric jumper on a circuit board. Replace the body and the train will now run as it is supposed to. I don’t have (enough or any) German blood in my veins to understand the reasoning behind why Märklin supply it this way. Was Märklin expecting most buyers to never run it as a set?? Maybe a German can explain.Kimball

The 26218 manual indicates on page 4 that the factory setting is the other way around:

Safety Warnings
• This set consists of a locomotive and three cars. The locomotive is equipped with a pickup shoe changeover feature. Therefore, the locomotive cannot be operated without its cars. If you still want to run the locomotive without the cars, then the pickup shoe changeover must be turned off with a jumper (see Page 28). The jumper must be removed however, if you are going to run the locomotive with this set of cars.

Could it be that in the 13 years between release by Märklin and delivery to Australia, someone switched off the pickup shoe changeover?
Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 10 March 2024 08:33:18(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hello Ak
Great photo of the real train thanks.

You are probably correct in regard to the settings. I first ran the train about 6 months ago and now I can’t remember exactly how I became cognisant of the circuit jumper already installed.

Regards, Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow