Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Harvey  
#1 Posted : 07 March 2024 02:20:42(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Hi,

I use a CS2 to run my layout. All my locs are mfx. I was recently given two MM locs (with dip switch settings). I place the locs on the programming track and after a while the following message appears.

"MFX loc 1-5. The readout of the settings was not successful". I have attached pictures of the dip switch settings. Hopefully they will appear.

My questions - are these settings correct for these locomotives?
- the 3618 has a smoke device and when placed on the programming track, it works.
- what should I be checking?

The picture containing red parts is the 3618

Regards
Harvey

3656 decoder.jpg3618 Decoder pic 3_6.jpg
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 07 March 2024 06:19:57(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
These are older digital decoders (not Delta). Delta locomotives had 4 switches only.
I am guessing that the first one is a 6080 and the second one maybe be a 6090.

With those decoders, you can set the switches to select any MM (Maerklin Motorola) address between 0 and 80.
The first one seems to be set to address 67 (2-4-6)
The second one seems to be set to address 09 (1-3-6-7)

If the models were originally digital (36/37XX), you should be able to find them in the library, but I suspect you will have to manually enter a locomotive with each of the addresses I listed above.
If you can find the instructions for the actual model, you can see whether it was originally a Delta or Digital decoder installed and the manual should give you the factory settings.

I don't remember whether the locomotives would also understand analog signals or whether all switches had to be set "Off" for analog operation.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 07 March 2024 10:10:05(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Yall
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
I don't remember whether the locomotives would also understand analog signals or whether all switches had to be set "Off" for analog operation.

Yes, both the C80 and C90 could understand analogue signal but in that case the C80 light remains off.
The loco with a smoke unit has probably a permanent connection with the slider (working all the time).
Older C80 unit are known to suffer from Alzeihmer disease (don't remember which direction to go.
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 07 March 2024 11:30:23(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Older C80 unit are known to suffer from Alzeihmer disease (don't remember which direction to go.
It is not Alzheimer. It is not a bug, it is a feature: The old MM protocol does not transmit the direction. All C80 will go in their default direction after long periods without power.
Same for C90 decoders and older Delta decoders as they only support MM old, too.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Harvey  
#5 Posted : 07 March 2024 16:02:02(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
All

Thank you. All good. I had never loaded a loc manually and so did not think of that solution. I was expecting the CS2 to recognize the decoder. I have successfully loaded both (manually). It's so easy. As far as functions, both only have head lights (the BR 18 has smoke but that does not show up on the function list and so I can not turn it off. I am unsure how to disconnect the smoker). The BR18 runs fine. The Croc needs some maintenance (oil, grease).

My next question(s) are can either loc be upgraded with a modern decoder (which one) and is it worth changing the motor (to which one)?

The loc numbers are 3618 BR 18 4
3656 Be 6/8 III

Regards
Harvey
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 08 March 2024 02:00:23(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Both of those locomotives were delivered digital ex-factory and should be in the database of your MS/CS.
The only issue is that the registry will be set to whatever the recommended digital address was for that model and if it has been changed, you will need to adapt or renter some values or reset the decoder to it's original settings.

If you decide to upgrade, the Maerklin decoders are pretty easy to install. Changing to ESU or Zimo might be a little more work, but may offer better or more options as far as sounds, etc.
Robert Frowenfeld (RJF) in Katonah might be able to help with any updates you may wish to do. I know he has some specials on decoders right now. rjftrains.com

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c