Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Manga  
#1 Posted : 16 February 2024 11:41:18(UTC)
Manga

Australia   
Hi all,
for starters this is Z-scale, but general design of a layout would apply to any scale, so would appreciate some feedback.

Preamble
My layout will have catenary, so this plays an important part of where elements are placed.
The right-hand third of the layout is a hilly area over a tunnel - I will make a mountain scene there, hence the winding road.
This layout was based on the space I have available atop a tallboy.
The tallboy is 1200x480mm. On that I planned on having a 1200x600mm plywood baseboard (being readily available in hardware shops) with supporting beams.
So I designed the layout to fit in that space.

Version 1
A simple double track that went round-and-round.
I quickly got bored of imagining trains doing the same loop.
The river dropping -50mm under the track also looked unrealistic when I made a 1:880 model of my model.
So I went to re-design it...
Version 01 [012].jpg

Version 2
Later I opted to have easements and superelevation in the curves. This would consume more space in depth, but offer better running of trains.
I also added a shadow station staging 3 trains going past the station. That would add more interest.
In that same 1200x600mm space I would need to sacrifice the double track of the 1st version.
Looking upon this for some time, I saw that having one train pass the station, a pause, then another pass, would not look realistic (and rather boring).
Also the catenary masts are very close to the edge, likely leading to damage.
Back to re-designing it...
Version 02 [021].jpg

Version 3
I think that having two tracks in front of the station would add an element of realism.
Each track runs in one direction only, and each train can stop in the siding in front of the station.
Also, whilst one train has stopped, another can pass in the other siding.
This would need more depth, more than the hardware shop pre-cut plywood sheets. Here I realised that you need to design the space for your vision rather than squeeze your vision into what is readily available in the hardware shop!

I've also increased the shadow station sidings to 4, allowing 2 trains to run in either direction.

NB 1: The road crossing track track on the left, I still have to determine if feasible as its crossing two curved turnouts.

NB 2: The doubling up of track masts and tower masts is so I get a feel of what would fit where and also to manage costs in purchasing said items.

All of this will require an extension of the baseboard to 1230x670mm.
This means some overhang on the tallboy, but should be do-able.
Version 03 [999].jpg

Overall I think I will be happy once it is built and will have some operational fun (maybe even take to an exhibition!)
Open to comments, negative and positive if this layout can be refined further...awaiting answers...Smile
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Manga
Offline Toosmall  
#2 Posted : 16 February 2024 12:53:52(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
If you are planning on exhibition, have 2 loops with the option of total independence. You have to keep something running. The above layout, if you have a derailment in key areas. The entire layout grinds to a halt. Also getting carriages back on the rails under catenary takes longer.

I stopped using curved points due to higher derailment issues. The double crossing, just forget about it entirely for an exhibition layout.

Base board, get some 5 ply (not 3 ply), it's better quality. Glue & screw & it's amazing how a 45° (corner to corner) stiffens a base board.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall