Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MikeK  
#1 Posted : 09 February 2024 21:26:39(UTC)
MikeK

Denmark   
Anyone else who have this model, who can tell me the right way to attach the tender to the main part of the locomotive? - I might be able to get the "peg" into the loop on the locomotive, but it is at a steep angel and I'm very afraid to break it. Does it need to be unscrewed or something else? I don't seem to be able to find anything in the instructions.

Edited by user 10 February 2024 20:20:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

A single track on the floor is better than no track at all...
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 10 February 2024 00:05:31(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

That sure is a beauty. Very impressive locomotive. I am sorry, but I do not have this model.

I do have other steam locomotives and I looked at the parts diagram for your model. There should be similarities between the models. You are right, there are no instructions covering this process.

To attach the tender is a bit of a challenge but not impossible. The first thought to solve the problem, is attaching the two while holding each in your hand. Just insert the pin into the hole, but the challenge I then to getting both onto the track. I tried this method several times, but decided this might not be the best way.

Someone might have a better method but here is what I do. Make certain the connecting rod is centered on the back of the locomotive, then place it on the track, making certain all wheels are on the rails. Next place the coal tender on the same track, just behind the locomotive. Now manipulate the two closely together and carefully lift the tender up off the track in the front so the attaching pin will go into the hole in the connecting rod. You should expect to do this a few times, to get the two attached, but practice make perfect and it should get easier.

It might take a bit of practice, but eventually you will get it. I am not certain how fragile the connecting rod and pin are, but I am overly cautious when making this connection and so far have not broken anything. It is not likely you will not break anything.

That sure is a nice locomotive,I hope you enjoy it.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline MikeK  
#3 Posted : 10 February 2024 01:57:48(UTC)
MikeK

Denmark   
Thank you for the answer, the problem is there is no space because of the motor, I also tried to push the loop all the way to one side, but still it can't go straight in:

20240210_014505.jpg20240210_014608.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MikeK
Zme
Offline Zme  
#4 Posted : 10 February 2024 04:40:31(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello.

Is it possible to slip the peg into the hole and then hold the top pieces together to get it placed on the track? Maybe that peg has some extra manufacturing material (flashing)which could be trimmed slightly, just to clear the limited space you have. Once attached together, you may not to want to separate the two.

I have picked up a locomotive in one hand with the tender still attached and it did not break. Maybe I was lucky, but it might be stronger than it looks.

Perhaps someone with a 44 here has some other ideas. I always resist trimming or modifying something right off and would only resort to this as a last solution. How do you feel about loosening the shell or motor just to clear things? Perhaps there is a trick which will make this possible. The Marklin site shows the peg location, the two attached together. Perhaps they wanted that close fit look on this and this makes it seem to not go together.

Obviously more research may be needed to solve this one.

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline MikeK  
#5 Posted : 10 February 2024 20:20:26(UTC)
MikeK

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
Hello.

Is it possible to slip the peg into the hole and then hold the top pieces together to get it placed on the track? Maybe that peg has some extra manufacturing material (flashing)which could be trimmed slightly, just to clear the limited space you have. Once attached together, you may not to want to separate the two.

I have picked up a locomotive in one hand with the tender still attached and it did not break. Maybe I was lucky, but it might be stronger than it looks.

Perhaps someone with a 44 here has some other ideas. I always resist trimming or modifying something right off and would only resort to this as a last solution. How do you feel about loosening the shell or motor just to clear things? Perhaps there is a trick which will make this possible. The Marklin site shows the peg location, the two attached together. Perhaps they wanted that close fit look on this and this makes it seem to not go together.

Obviously more research may be needed to solve this one.

Take good care.

Dwight

Thank you for your advice, I took out my magnifying lamp, and if you turn the loop all the way to the side with the engine upside-down, and get the angle just right (I needed that magnification to really see what was going on), then the two can be hooked together without taking anything apart or do modifications :) but it is a little scary as it has to be just right, and I had trouble unhooking it again, but it's back in its box now :) I can't hold my phone while I do it, otherwise I would have made a short video of it :)

UserPostedImage

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MikeK
ZmeDonb
Offline Artologic  
#6 Posted : 13 February 2024 23:49:14(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Mike,

I see on the picture there is a bit of flash on the bottom of the pin, which I think won t make it any easier to couple the two, maybe if you cut that of, things will go a bit smoother?

Best,
Kristof
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Artologic