Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sidblack  
#1 Posted : 29 January 2024 03:54:08(UTC)
sidblack

Australia   
In September 2023 I had been staying in Assmannhausen on the Rhein. I caught the Seilbahn (cable car) to the top of the ridge and followed the path through forest till you arrive at the Neiderwald monument which overlooks the Rhein. From there you can catch a different cable car down to Rüdesheim and then ferry or train back to Assmannhausen. It makes for a wonderful round trip.
On the descent into Rüdesheim I heard the distinctive sound of a steam train whistle and managed to film an excursion train pulled by a BR 012 leaving the station.
Descending into Rüdesheim
The second coincidence is that today I came across a Youtube video of this exact train. It features the assembling the train and then it's trip from Goch to Rudesheim.
Excursion train led by BR 012
It's a beautiful engine and it seems that the last Märklin model was made in the 1990's - though I'm happy to be corrected on that.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by sidblack
Offline Vinedusk  
#2 Posted : 29 January 2024 05:03:01(UTC)
Vinedusk

Australia   
Originally Posted by: sidblack Go to Quoted Post
In September 2023 I had been staying in Assmannhausen on the Rhein. I caught the Seilbahn (cable car) to the top of the ridge and followed the path through forest till you arrive at the Neiderwald monument which overlooks the Rhein. From there you can catch a different cable car down to Rüdesheim and then ferry or train back to Assmannhausen. It makes for a wonderful round trip.
On the descent into Rüdesheim I heard the distinctive sound of a steam train whistle and managed to film an excursion train pulled by a BR 012 leaving the station.
The second coincidence is that today I came across a Youtube video of this exact train. It features the assembling the train and then it's trip from Goch to Rudesheim.
Excursion train led by BR 012
It's a beautiful engine and it seems that the last Märklin model was made in the 1990's - though I'm happy to be corrected on that.

Thanks for the video, it does look like a wonderful experience. So how did you get back? Ferry or train?

I spent a day in Canberra in November whilst my car was getting a service, so I finally got to use the light rail that was promised for so long. Hardly a tourist attraction, but I think they did a good job all up. Apart from the red-white-and-blue interior. A nice ride to Gungahlin and back.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Vinedusk
Offline sidblack  
#3 Posted : 29 January 2024 05:48:47(UTC)
sidblack

Australia   
I caught the ferry back as I'd already been along the train line (which is only one station). You do get to see more of the countryside from a boat - especially in that part of the Rhein where there is literally another castle along every bend of the river.
Not many castles in Canberra I'm afraid. The light rail here is still very controversial but is being gradually extended.
Next time you're in town send me a message and we can talk trains. Not many Marklinistas in this town!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by sidblack
Offline Unholz  
#4 Posted : 29 January 2024 08:51:38(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: sidblack Go to Quoted Post

Initially, when watching the video, I was very irritated by those grey "shadows" appearing on the top. It certainly took me a while to realize that these must be cabins of the cable car moving upwards. Wink What a nice coincidence that the movement of your cabin was synchronous to the leaving train. Smile
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Unholz