Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline spinnerguy  
#1 Posted : 07 January 2024 16:31:09(UTC)
spinnerguy

United Kingdom   
Purchased used.At first would not run at all.
Wheels had never been cleaned by the look .A lot of debris removed,oiled,,now runs at speed.When crossing points at low speed,loco stalls over plastic isolatior area .All high spots have been removed Any thoughts chaps? It can be a jerky runner .......
Offline Carim  
#2 Posted : 07 January 2024 17:17:54(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Did you clean the back of the wheels and the copper contacts touching them? Also, did you check that all the contacts actually touch the wheels? Finally, are you sure that your points are clean?

Carim
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Carim
Offline The Crocodile  
#3 Posted : 07 January 2024 19:07:54(UTC)
The Crocodile

Iceland   
I have the exact same issue with a little V5 diesel loco. Took everything apart, cleaned it all and put it all together again and the issue persisted, no change at allConfused I'll follow this thread to see if anyone comes up with anything that helps
C-track, temporary layout. I try to run my locos as much as possible:)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by The Crocodile
Zme
Offline Toosmall  
#4 Posted : 07 January 2024 21:00:54(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
There are very fine wires that go to both ends. Are they connected? You only need one wire from one end broken & you have no power from that end.

Straight or curved points? I only ever use straight points, given up on curved & crossing points.

Even straight points, there is the temperamental one! Often less frustration simply to replace.

Repurposed Crocodile:
IMG_191.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Zme
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#5 Posted : 08 January 2024 14:11:12(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: spinnerguy Go to Quoted Post
Purchased used.At first would not run at all.
Wheels had never been cleaned by the look .A lot of debris removed,oiled,,now runs at speed.When crossing points at low speed,loco stalls over plastic isolatior area .All high spots have been removed Any thoughts chaps? It can be a jerky runner .......

A few points (ha-ha!) worthy of mention here:

• It sounds to me like only one bogie is picking up. If you have a multi-meter you can check continuity directly or otherwise you can lower the loco on the track one bogie at a time to check both are picking up.
  • For wheel cleaning I turn the lock upside down (I have made a service cradle by hollowing out a piece of foam) and apply power via a short length of track wired to a controller. With power applied to one set of wheels I clean the remaining wheels with WD-40 contact cleaner applied to a micro-brush. As Carim says, it's important to clean the backs of the wheels and also the edge of the flanges.
  • The bronze wipers that contact the backs or the wheels can also become dirty do I sometimes lean these by soaking a small piece of paper in contact cleaner and sliding it between pick-up wiper and the back of the wheel. Be very careful, though, as you can easily bend the finger making matters worse. If this happens you don't really have much choice but to disassemble the bogie and re-tension the wipers.
  • If you look carefully you can see the frog area of the points has tiny metal contacts that mate with the edges of the wheel flanges so make sure these are clean, too. There are also bronze contacts to carry power to the point blades and these can occasionally stop making contact leaving the entire point blade without power. So if you have your multi-meter out you might want to check that, too.
  • Finally, if you remove the bogies (be careful not to swap them over) you'll see two wipers on the upper side of the bogies which contact onto two areas on the underside of the locomotive frame. Again check these are all clean and, if necessary, re-tension the wipers.

Hope that's of some help - this type of problems is very solvable but may require some persistence and careful cleaning.

Good luck!

Chris

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline husafreak  
#6 Posted : 10 January 2024 04:50:39(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I keep a 9v battery around with one of those end plugs with wires coming off, hard to describe but it's a nice tool just flip the loco over in foam cradle and touch the wires to the wheels and see if they are picking up the electricity and turning the motor.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#7 Posted : 10 January 2024 22:22:39(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
I keep a 9v battery around with one of those end plugs with wires coming off, hard to describe but it's a nice tool just flip the loco over in foam cradle and touch the wires to the wheels and see if they are picking up the electricity and turning the motor.

The reason I prefer to use a short length of track is that you can then apply power one-handed leaving the other hand free to clean.

Hopefully someone will find that useful!

Cheers

Chris

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline spinnerguy  
#8 Posted : 16 January 2024 14:43:28(UTC)
spinnerguy

United Kingdom   
I removed side pins,and took off both bogies. There was evidence of artificial grass wrapped around the back of at least three wheels.I bought this loco used ........
Managed to remove this with a needle under a lens. As mentioned in earlier post,wiper contacts were cleaned off.Gearing on both bogies was full of dirt and oil sludged- like black soot .
Now running quieter on assembly.Power pickup improved,as no longer stalling on points ........
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by spinnerguy
Offline Zme  
#9 Posted : 17 January 2024 00:39:39(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello hope all is well.

This brings up a point I would like to make about purchasing older locomotives.

Keep in mind for your next purchase. There are times when the seller really knows very little about what they are listing, even dealers whose specialty is HO likely know very little about Z scale. If you are lucky, there may be a statement which says it works, but even with this statement, seeing is believing. I always assume the worst when making these purchases. When I get something like this, I examine it closely to see if there is an obvious flaw which was not disclosed. A broken shell or missing buffer are expensive to replace. Next I remove the shell to examine the condition of the motor and gears. I Check the secondary gears to see if they are dry, or have debris hanging on them. Then I lightly lube it and try it on the track to see if it responds. If it is loud when operating, or not smooth in operation, it needs work.

At this point, I completely disassemble the entire thing. I use a sonic cleaner and I would suggest considering this. I reassemble and add new brushes, and finally lube it and see if it works well. Many times this works. If you skip these steps you might find your locomotive has failed.

Many of these locomotives are very old, sometimes over 50 years old. Often they are not stored correctly and the oils harden around the gears. Expect to clean these to get them to work as designed. Older items may seem cheap to purchase, but may have issues and the parts are more difficult to locate. Adding the price of parts, it might have been cheaper to purchase a new locomotive. Consider purchasing new items if you don’t want to buy someone else’s problem.

There are some real gems out there, prices might be high right now, put these can be great additions to your collection but might need a bit of work to get them functional again.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline spinnerguy  
#10 Posted : 17 January 2024 12:12:10(UTC)
spinnerguy

United Kingdom   
Thank you for the above Dwight. I am always on the cautious side,when looking at description.

The BR216 was stalling in reverse,and needed the Hand of God to get it moving. I have removed motor brushes earlier - one brush head broke away when lifting off . Managed to resolder back on,as I know these brushes ard now obsolete and not available.
I am not sure tension is correct , but its running both ways,so do not want to disturb again. This is the hassle you can get from buying used .......
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by spinnerguy