Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Donb  
#1 Posted : 18 December 2023 02:00:35(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
Hi all,

I'm considering this loco, would like to hear how it is on 195mm curves and 1% grade?
How many wagons can it manage up the grade?

Cheers,
Best Regards,
Don
___________________________________________________________________________________
CS3, ( Commander is now retired) , C track and Z scale, mostly DB/DR and SBB, SJ
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 18 December 2023 17:41:57(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well. Happy Holidays!

That is a real beautiful locomotive. It was one I purchased in my search for the perfect puller. Mine is a earlier model.

I was very hopeful for this one to be my solution, however was disappointed. It does not seem to be heavy enough. It was pointed out to me, the pilot wheels on both ends tend to keep the weight off of the power wheels. I believe there are others who have issues with longer wheelbase steam locomotives performance also. I think the weight is just spread out a bit to much to be useful.

I have a layout with a hill, but I don’t know the percent, it may exceed suggested limits. There is to much wheel slip if I put more than four wagons. I don’t use traction wheels. I might have better results if I used two locomotives, but I have not tried it. On a flat layout, it might be perfect and not need two locomotives.

The curve radius you mentioned should not be an issue because no cautions are mentioned on the Marklin website.

https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/88931

I run an ICE 3 which has radius warning. The BR 85 should have no issues with your layout radius, perhaps someone else will weigh in on this.

My recommendations are next.

For Steam:

I was real close to getting a BR 94, and I trust the recommendations of fellow forum members who suggested it. I think of this one as a BR 89 on steroids with no pilot wheels and all the weight centered over a set of 5 drive wheels. The only issue with this one, try and find it. Since I lost out on one this Spring I have not seen another.

A real puller and one I must mention, is the BR 96. This one will likely puller all you can add to the string. It has good contact with the articulation of two sets of drive wheels. (16 wheels total). This is another hard to find item, however, I have seen two for sale on eBay recently. Costly, but worthy. It will pull many,

For Electric/Diesel:

BR 232. This one has a heavy metal impregnated shell (88136)which earlier models might lack. I good puller. It feels massive and acts accordingly.

BR 320, this one has been mentioned frequently on the forum this year. Will pull 12 easily. I like the Wiebe model.

Others are BR 151 or 103. The original BR 216

Hope this helps. Take good care, again Happy Holidays!

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#3 Posted : 18 December 2023 22:55:33(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Donb Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

I'm considering this loco, would like to hear how it is on 195mm curves and 1% grade?
How many wagons can it manage up the grade?

Cheers,

I have this one and its brother 88889. Both very handsome locos, but the performance doesn't really match their appearance.

The gradients on my layouts are around 3% but, if I recall correctly 4 8730 bogie coaches was about its haulage limit. I'd imagine you'd get at least twice this with 1% gradients although I haven't tested that myself. The curves on my main layout are no less than 220mm radius, but there are some195mm radius on my small layout and the loco didn't have any problems with those, so I don't think that much would be cause for concern.

as Dwight notes, there are other steam locos that will outhaul these, but they are nowhere near as attractive.

Hope this is helpful

Chris

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
ZmeDonb
Offline Donb  
#4 Posted : 19 December 2023 14:46:43(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
Thanks, chris and Dwight,

Thank you for your input and I have decided to go ahead with it.
As you say chris it is such an attractive Locomotive, When it is not running on my layout, It will be sitting beside my easy chair. So I can admire it!
It is impressive how a tank Locomotive like this with this level of detail , can be produced in z scale.

Cheers!
Best Regards,
Don
___________________________________________________________________________________
CS3, ( Commander is now retired) , C track and Z scale, mostly DB/DR and SBB, SJ
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Donb
Zme
Offline Zme  
#5 Posted : 19 December 2023 17:44:21(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

That sounds like an excellent idea. These are moving art and will amaze many with their look and details.

Here is an old YouTube about an earlier, but similar looking version. I found it interesting, but unfortunately, lacking in close caption features and translation. Some nice scenery however and you might find it interesting too.

I noticed my version does not have the lower red brake addition found on the more recent models. The coreless motor and the addition of the weight down low might improve performance. Since you’re dealing with a slight hill, who knows.

I keep some of my locomotives as static displays also. It is nice to appreciate them this way also.

Take good care, Merry Christmas and happy holidays.

Dwight

Offline Donb  
#6 Posted : 19 December 2023 18:31:20(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
Terrific video, thanks very much Dwight.

The layout in the video is spectacular. Something to aspire to one day I guess.

Merry Christmas and Happy New year!

Don
Best Regards,
Don
Zme
Offline Zme  
#7 Posted : 19 December 2023 23:00:52(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi again.

I wasn’t certain how this one would be seen because it has the locomotive weathered. Some definitely don’t like this, but yes the last few minutes of the layout sure are something to appreciate. We need to renew our inspiration from time to time.

Thank you, let us know how that 85 works out.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline Zme  
#8 Posted : 20 December 2023 06:37:25(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello again.

If you liked that one, here is a bit more of z action you may find interesting.

?si=yKPdFuEupxCsSxNO

No 85s in this one, but nice.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline Donb  
#9 Posted : 26 December 2023 16:20:55(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
Hi all

I received the loco a few days ago, and it has surpassed my expectations! This is an excellent locomotive.
It has excellent slow speed control, plenty of traction to pull my trains up my 1% grade.
I'm just so impressed with this z scale model!

IMG_20231226_071533184.jpg

Have a happy New year everyone!

Cheers
Best Regards,
Don
Zme
Offline Zme  
#10 Posted : 26 December 2023 21:44:06(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. Hope all is well.

I have to agree, this is an exceptional Z locomotive. Wow, it looks great! And the fact it works so well, another bonus.

Maybe I should consider this update model also.

Thanks. You did make a good decision.

Take good care, happy new year!

Dwight