Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cintrans  
#1 Posted : 16 December 2023 19:05:41(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
I just bought a Southern Pacific F7 set (#3129 & #4129) with poor paintwork.
My intention is to strip it and do a complete repaint, don't know yet in witch livery, but I like the Alaska and the blue Santa Fe paint schemes.
Anyone knows a good source of quality water slide decals for those?
I looked at Micro scale decals, but did not find similar schemes for those or the Southern Pacific...

Regards

Jean-Pierre
Offline prba4650  
#2 Posted : 16 December 2023 21:40:42(UTC)
prba4650

United Kingdom   
Try Zane Jacobs, you will get him on WhatsApp on +27836306999. He has made many for me in multiple colours, and they are excelllent. You will have to supply him with something that gives him the exact size/shape and also the correct colours. His prices are very fair. He is located in Port Elizabeth, South Africa but don't let that put you off, he has customers all over the world, and decals are light and inexpensive to send across continents!
GOOD LUCK!
Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by prba4650
Offline Alsterstreek  
#3 Posted : 17 December 2023 09:24:29(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: cintrans Go to Quoted Post
A weathered version conveniently matching a prototype battered battered in freight service?
RollEyes

My intention is to strip it and do a complete repaint, don't know yet in witch livery, but I like the Alaska and the blue Santa Fe paint schemes.
I looked at Micro scale decals, but did not find similar schemes for those or the Southern Pacific...

It takes investigative energy to search the Microscales Decals' database, but they really do have almost everything. Another challenge is that color schemes are more varied than Märklin models suggest. I guess that you refer to the "Märklinesque" SP Black Widow and the late ARR diesel schemes for F-type diesels. In that case the corresponding H0 scale Microscale Decals article numbers are:
- "HO Scale - Southern Pacific/Cotton Belt - Diesels, Black Widow Scheme - Cool Grey (not silver) (194 -- Stock# 87-201"
- "HO Scale - Alaska Railroad Diesel - Late Scheme (1980-1999) -- Stock# 87-480"
When sold out on their website, Microscale decals are normally available via other eBay dealers.

The "blue Santa Fe paint scheme" for F-type diesels requires further clarification, since there existed three variants. "Original freight locos" in solid blue with either Cat Whisker or Cigar Band schemes, and repainted blue warbonnets (formerly red warbonnets). Do you mean the late Bluebonnet paint scheme? If so, it looks as if a combination of Microscale Decals products would be required...

Some words of caution: I repainted and decalled myself a number of Märklin F7 shells. Some jobs were easier than others, and while it seemed to be an easy task, I despaired when applying nose decals to a silver version of a Chicago Burlington & Quincy passenger locomotive. And I do not even address the issue of single versus double headlights. Hence I suggest to select an "easy" version...

P.S.: To protect decals against being rubbed off by accident, I use these products: https://acrylicosvallejo...ftener-medium-decal-fix/

Edited by user 18 December 2023 06:56:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline artfull dodger  
#4 Posted : 19 December 2023 00:16:54(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
One of the harder F unit paint schemes is the Monon red/ grey passenger units. While all original Monons were F3s, a local Museum had a F7 and a FP7 painted that way for years
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline cintrans  
#5 Posted : 20 December 2023 01:08:07(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
A weathered version conveniently matching a prototype battered battered in freight service?
RollEyes

It takes investigative energy to search the Microscales Decals' database, but they really do have almost everything. Another challenge is that color schemes are more varied than Märklin models suggest. I guess that you refer to the "Märklinesque" SP Black Widow and the late ARR diesel schemes for F-type diesels. In that case the corresponding H0 scale Microscale Decals article numbers are:
- "HO Scale - Southern Pacific/Cotton Belt - Diesels, Black Widow Scheme - Cool Grey (not silver) (194 -- Stock# 87-201"
- "HO Scale - Alaska Railroad Diesel - Late Scheme (1980-1999) -- Stock# 87-480"
When sold out on their website, Microscale decals are normally available via other eBay dealers.

The "blue Santa Fe paint scheme" for F-type diesels requires further clarification, since there existed three variants. "Original freight locos" in solid blue with either Cat Whisker or Cigar Band schemes, and repainted blue warbonnets (formerly red warbonnets). Do you mean the late Bluebonnet paint scheme? If so, it looks as if a combination of Microscale Decals products would be required...

Some words of caution: I repainted and decalled myself a number of Märklin F7 shells. Some jobs were easier than others, and while it seemed to be an easy task, I despaired when applying nose decals to a silver version of a Chicago Burlington & Quincy passenger locomotive. And I do not even address the issue of single versus double headlights. Hence I suggest to select an "easy" version...

P.S.: To protect decals against being rubbed off by accident, I use these products: https://acrylicosvallejo...ftener-medium-decal-fix/

Thanks for the tips, Ak

A weathered version is not a bad idea at all!
I need to read up on weathering techniques first, as i never did that before....

You'r right on the Microscale website, it is indeed a pain to search to find what you want. The blue Santa Fe I meant is the blue warbonnet i guess (identical to the red M* Santa Fe but then in a blue paint scheme) I have to revisit the Microscale site again then to find some matching decals.

I do a lot of airbrushing and decalling of Herpa HO truck kits, so I know the pitfalls... I normally use micro set & micro sol decal weakeners and clear coat the whole thing ones finished to protect the decals and paint....

PS: Just received 3 beautifull NOS yellow RailBox freight cars (M* 4773) to accompany one of my F7's

Regards
Jean-Pierre

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cintrans
Offline Alsterstreek  
#6 Posted : 20 December 2023 01:23:36(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Offline cintrans  
#7 Posted : 21 December 2023 03:11:16(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post

Very nice!
First one a bit dirty to much, but the other two should be feasible to recreate i think!

Regards
Jean-Pierre

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cintrans