Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ivan  
#1 Posted : 21 November 2023 21:24:43(UTC)
Ivan

Germany   
I need a contact switch for church bell (a device that activates the coil in the bell placed inside a church on the layout). No permanent contact is allowed because the coil would burn out.
One of my Faller Kontaktgeber 631 is broken and, besides, it`s poorly built; those offered on eBay are very old and mostly out of order.
I wonder if there is anything more advanced to give adjustable momentary impulse to the bell.
I mean, with electronic or mechanical components.
Thank you.

UserPostedImage
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 21 November 2023 22:40:41(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Ivan
Yes those old Faller motors age poorly (the membrane gets destroyed).

So what can you do? One possibility is to use a contact track operated with sliders (e.g. Märklin 24994)

The other solution I am using with rocrail is to have real bells ringings operated on certain conditions (real clock, accelerated clock, conditions)
It can play any sound file like the one attached Cloches.wav (2,732kb) downloaded 10 time(s).
It takes the installation of VNC (free s/w) on your computer.
Another solution is to buy a sound module (must add a loud speaker and power supply) for less than 4 €
https://www.ebay.de/itm/27236659...D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_bx7L3-Yg

More details if interested
Cheers
Jean
Offline Ivan  
#3 Posted : 21 November 2023 22:57:14(UTC)
Ivan

Germany   
Quote:
contact track operated with sliders

I have contact tracks. What are sliders and how are they moved ?

Merci
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 21 November 2023 23:03:12(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
I mentionned Märklin 3 rail slider-operated contact to deliver a short impulse (1 to 2 seconds) per slider to pick-up the current
Here is one of many types of Märklin sliders to pick up current for locos but also to activate solenoids, etc
Sans titre.png
Cheers
Jean
Offline clapcott  
#5 Posted : 22 November 2023 00:25:31(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Terminology check

Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
... a contact track operated with sliders (e.g. Märklin 24994) ...

The 24994 (also 24194, 24294) has the product name Circuit Tracks (Schalt-Gleise)
It is the 24995 that is called a Contact Track Set (Kontaktgleis-Satz )

Peter
Offline PeFu  
#6 Posted : 22 November 2023 07:02:43(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
I second JohnjeanB’s suggestion on having a PC play a church bell sound file. In case you’re not using a PC software for controlling the layout, an alternative could be a church bell sound module from Viessmann, you may test the sound on their product page.

Smile
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline BenP  
#7 Posted : 22 November 2023 15:12:03(UTC)
BenP

United States   
Originally Posted by: Ivan Go to Quoted Post
I need a contact switch for church bell (a device that activates the coil in the bell placed inside a church on the layout). No permanent contact is allowed because the coil would burn out.
One of my Faller Kontaktgeber 631 is broken and, besides, it`s poorly built; those offered on eBay are very old and mostly out of order.
I wonder if there is anything more advanced to give adjustable momentary impulse to the bell.
I mean, with electronic or mechanical components.
Thank you.

UserPostedImage

When running digital there are several solutions with control station cs3 or PC programming. That's easy.
For analog, a contact track can be used, but it is activated by each set of wheels crossing the track. Using a circuit track (middle rail tumbler) solves that, as only the pickup slider activates the signal. However, lighted coaches also use a slider, so that solution only works for wagons without a slider.
Lastly, a reed switch, which is activated by a magnet, will make a permanent connection, not solving the pulse need.
Are you running digital or analog ?
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
Offline rhfil  
#8 Posted : 22 November 2023 15:26:40(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
I am not sure what exactly you are trying to do but if you are looking for some kind of contact which is outside of the rails and operable by a person any doorbell button would make a temporary, short contact to activate a relay.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rhfil