Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Jose  
#1 Posted : 20 October 2023 12:41:47(UTC)
Jose

Portugal   
Hi fellow Model Railrodaers!
As you probably know, I'm new to this hobby but full of excitment to embarque in this new adventure!
After a long period of investigation and study I decided to start my journey using Minitrix as my go to brand for tracks and other stuff because I think it's probably the best one followed by Fleishmann and Peco(this one is made in the UK and since Brexit it's a bit harder and expensive for someone who lives in the EU).
But then I realize that there isn't much information online about connecting and working with this brand.
So I decided to start this feed to share my journey with Minitrix and also to talk to others using the same brand!
Hope there are more people like me out there BigGrin
So if this topic interest you and you want to follow and help this adventure please join the discussion and let's have some fun Flapper
Cheers!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Jose
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#2 Posted : 20 October 2023 17:39:32(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
Welcome to a wonderful hobby, Jose! I came back to railway modeling about thirty years ago, at first with N from Fleischmann, Arnold and Minitrix. It made sense then, especially given the space constraints I faced in building a layout. Ultimately, however, I made the move to HO (and Maerklin) because I found there wasn’t much difference in price between the two scales… and I could actually see the trains’ details better. I still have my N trains… along with some Gauge 1 and O scale items I’ve picked up over the years, but I’ve settled with HO for the foreseeable future.

Enjoy the journey: I look forward to seeing your future posts!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Eurobahnfan
Offline Bahner  
#3 Posted : 20 October 2023 17:52:00(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
Hi Jose,

I used Minitrix track a few years ago as the replacement track for this 1970's Arnold-Rapido double-loop layout design (my first layout):

Bavarian Railroad Oblique Layout View_110517.jpg

I found the track itself to be quite sturdy and I haven't had any issues (opted for the manual switches).

Enjoy the process and looking forward to seeing your progress.

Ralph.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bahner
Offline Jose  
#4 Posted : 20 October 2023 19:44:05(UTC)
Jose

Portugal   
Thank you all for your kind words and of corse i will keep all up to date with my progress :-)
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#5 Posted : 20 October 2023 19:48:31(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Jose Go to Quoted Post
I decided to start my journey using Minitrix as my go to brand for tracks and other stuff because I think it's probably the best one followed by Fleishmann and Peco(this one is made in the UK and since Brexit it's a bit harder and expensive for someone who lives in the EU).
!

I started with N back in the late '70s. Things were very different back then and not many quality models of British trains were available. Minitrix were one of the few exceptions and I did eventually save up enough of my pocket money to buy a couple of Minitrix locos. I always aspired to owning some Fleischmann, which I regarded the top of the heap quality-wise, but it was hard to get hold of in the UK and it was all continental outline stuff, of course.

I don't know what kind of layout you have in mind, but I would strongly urge you to consider Peco for the trackwork. In my opinion, theirs is the best of the available European trackwork. Their points, in particular, look infinitely better than either Minitrix or Fleischmann. I'm also a big fan of their code 55 track which, I think, looks much better than the higher code 80. However, to take full advantage, you really need to use flexible track, so if you want to use sectional track (and I can see why you would for a first model) there's not so much of a differentiation. Peco do have a Settrack system and the points look better than Minitrix and Fleischmann, in my opinion, but are quite small radius which I don't like so much.

What I would say, is to do your best to regard your first layout as a learning exercise and start with something modest and relatively simple. You will undoubtedly wish you'd done some things differently and you probably won't really know what you really want from your layout until you've built one.

Most of all, though, have fun! It can be a truly engrossing and relaxing hobby!

Good luck

Chris

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline Jose  
#6 Posted : 20 October 2023 19:53:27(UTC)
Jose

Portugal   
thumbnail_image3.jpgthumbnail_image2.jpgthumbnail_image1.jpgthumbnail_image0.jpg
What do you guys think about my first build from scratch???
Its going to be the cliff next to my harbour in a layout based on a Scotland scenary!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Jose
Offline Jose  
#7 Posted : 20 October 2023 21:42:10(UTC)
Jose

Portugal   
layout minitrix.pdf (209kb) downloaded 36 time(s).
This is the plan of my layout
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Jose