Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline hennabm  
#1 Posted : 31 July 2023 21:28:22(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi

I was hoping to purchase a railbus 88167, but it appears it is now longer in production and no replacement seems apparent.

Is this just a temporary lack of railbus in the Z line up due to an upgraded model due, or is this a permanent deletion?

I would love to buy one.

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 01 August 2023 04:35:18(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

I know how you feel about the ubiquitous railbus, it is one of my favorite ones too. Hopefully, there will never be a Z world without a railbus in it. I don’t think it will ever be dropped out of the Marklin line anytime soon.

Here is a place which has one but a 88168, for sale and it seems like a fairly good price too.

http://www.zscalemonster.com/marklin/rolling/ Might have to scroll down the page a bit. A good seller also. Don’t know where you might find another one which isn’t already used, I don’t know how you might be impacted with import taxes.

You just became interested in the z railbus a bit late. In 2017, the first release of the revised railbus (88166)with the new core-less motor was announced. In 2019 another railbus was released, (88167) this time with the trailer. The red railbus was released again in 2021 (88168) which also included the trailer. This one may have low production due to Covid. So, you see, the z scale railbus has been repeatedly announce in the Marklin line. I have not seen a railbus for the past two years but what I think of as the original railbus, the Kittel (steam prototype)has been released in two versions. Also the extended railbus, the ETA has been announced as an insider model just this year.

I don’t think Marklin will ever stop making the railbus, there are so many variations which could be made and I know there are many collectors who will gobble them up. The railbus has been a tradition in the Marklin line since 1973 and many can be picked up in the secondary market for a reasonable price, be careful, make certain it has a good motor because these are hard to find. If you get one, they are simple to work on, just take your time.

Happy hunting, hope it works out for you. Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline hennabm  
#3 Posted : 01 August 2023 12:54:51(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi Dwight

Thank you for the details. It’s just my luck to be late to the party!

I’ll keep looking at the bay of e and see if any show up.

Maybe, just maybe there will be a new model for the IMA in September.

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hennabm
Zme
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 01 August 2023 15:55:53(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: hennabm Go to Quoted Post
Hi Dwight

Thank you for the details. It’s just my luck to be late to the party!

I’ll keep looking at the bay of e and see if any show up.

Maybe, just maybe there will be a new model for the IMA in September.

Mike

Might also be worth going around to a few dealers while in Germany, to see if they have any second hand ones.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline mbfos  
#5 Posted : 28 August 2023 11:39:55(UTC)
mbfos

United Kingdom   
There's a few of the older 816 Railcars for sale on Hattons preowned at the moment. e.g. this one:

https://www.hattons.co.u...lacement_box/stockdetail

They're reasonably priced too.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mbfos
Offline Zme  
#6 Posted : 28 August 2023 15:37:47(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

That is a variety and you are right, the price looks right. Careful making your selection, as some may be unpowered. Finding one which is stated as working, may be possible.

I don’t think there would be a problem attaching the cleaner shell to this. I think it would fit in place of the red shell. You just would not have the cleaner effect. Some have told me the cleaner actually causes microscopic scratches to the track surface. I don’t know about this, but use your own judgement.

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Artologic  
#7 Posted : 10 September 2023 18:31:19(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Just a quick jump in, the cleaning bus fits on the regular bus, they just have a different paintjob

Best,
Kristof
Offline Zme  
#8 Posted : 10 September 2023 19:40:09(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

I thought that was the case.

The cleaner bus frame, likely only has provisions for one light. Only one end of the cabin would be lighted. I don’t know if another light could be added to the other side. The early versions of the railbus trailer only has a single lamp in the middle. I think in the really early days, the trailer was actually the motorized frame without the motor. These were somewhat heavy and present a pulling issue for a motorized railbus, at least on my layout.

The red railbus is so common, the cleaner bus shell has much more going for it.

Take good care.

Dwight