Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline heinrichhess  
#1 Posted : 04 September 2023 12:49:39(UTC)
heinrichhess

United Kingdom   
as the collection of marklin grow's I'm getting Museum Set's of wagons and insider loco apart from a slight lee hi price point is there any think specialize about them should I be customizing them permanently?

hess
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by heinrichhess
Online marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 04 September 2023 14:19:25(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
You can do as you prefer, but if they are very limited I would leave them original. Just my opinion.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 04 September 2023 14:59:12(UTC)
H0

The collector value of items goes down the drain when you use them a lot or even weather or modify them.
You must know if you bought them for the collector value or to play with them.

Insider models are usually not rare and usually do not have a significant collector value, so I play with them as with any other model.
Early museum cars are rare and have high collector values, but cars from recent years are not rare.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Mark5  
#4 Posted : 04 September 2023 17:24:55(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
For most of my cars, I weather them or plan to weather them. I have put a lot of time into learning how to weather my models, houses, track, cars, locos. Some weathering can be done with a dusting that is mostly removable if need be, but it will never fully come off. They might not have the highest resale value, but I have seen amazingly well done weathered European train models go for more than the original price. Marklin resale market is big and there are lots of buyers, but you would have to wait longer to sell a specialized weathered car. I like to think of them as uniquely artistic items.

Its your stuff, if you want to do it, go for it. There are good books on weathering and lots of tutorials online. I only buy stuff that I want to use. There is only so much space in my city dwelling which I get accused of looking like a musty old museum anyway. Too many books and such as well!
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mark5