Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline orionstars  
#1 Posted : 01 July 2023 03:48:59(UTC)
orionstars

United States   
Before moving half across the country I had a large LGB collection of, well everything I’d need for a large layout - except some of the bigger steam locos - both Euro and US.

I’m looking around again at maybe starting an outdoor layout and am wondering if the stuff I had then from the very late 90s to 2010 or so would still be viable today?

It’s a silly question but looking at prices around the internet I’m amazed at how “low” some of this older stuff goes for. I know it’s not all full of digital gizmos and I’m good with that.

Thoughts? Anything I should be mindful of as I explore this idea with the family?
Thanks,
Pete
Offline artfull dodger  
#2 Posted : 24 July 2023 06:24:23(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Pretty much ANYTHING from LGB is a solid model and run well even decades after they were made. My model 2020 Stainz starter set still runs, mostly on my overhead indoor loop as my outdoor line is live steam or battery powered models these days. About the only models to avoid is the Chinese made fat boiler 2-4-0 seen in starter sets, prone to gear and motor failure and spare parts are slim to none. Anything with the common motor blocks are easy peasy fix and find parts. Good luck with the layout build. I am in north central Indiana myself, got most of my stuff at Watts Train Shop in Zionsville back in the day. AD
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#3 Posted : 24 July 2023 15:15:39(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
I remember Watts Train Shop advertisements in Classic Toy Trains magazine years ago… I believe they also ran an article about them as well. They were truly THE source for LGB in the US
Offline artfull dodger  
#4 Posted : 25 July 2023 00:40:24(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Them, along with Ridge Road Station and St Aubins. Those were the big ones for LGB back then that I remember.
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline orionstars  
#5 Posted : 25 July 2023 02:22:59(UTC)
orionstars

United States   

I remember Watts from the ads but I lived near Ridge Road Station growing up & young adulthood, what an amazing place it was.

Thanks for the feedback. I’m in WI now and really looking forward to some outdoor layout time.