Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline einotuominen  
#1 Posted : 20 July 2023 14:05:38(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Hi,

Lot of stuff going on on my work bench, and lot of help required as you may have noticed on my recent postings Laugh

Anyway I need to connect two LED lights of an electric loco in a way that one light is always on in both ends of the loco and second light is on depending on the direction of travel. See this loco shell and please have a look at the light conductors. So in the direction of travel both front lights need to be on and also the top light while at the other end the right side light is on.

IMG_2918.jpeg

So here is a picture of how my two LEDs are currently connected. On the other end of the loco it is the same thing but in mirror of course:

IMG_2917 3.jpeg

The loco is an old delta loco that had lightbulbs and a PCB board with diodes to handle all this. I had to remove the PCB board in order to make room for speaker and buffer capacitor.

I have the diodes from that board but when I connect them like in the picture above, current will not flow from left to right and the other LED remains turned off.

So I'm guessing the old diodes are of wrong value? What kind of diodes should I use and is my thinking correct here?

Thank you, once again!

-Eino
Offline mmervine  
#2 Posted : 21 July 2023 02:32:31(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
The best way to do this is to wire the lights that will always be on to AUX1 and set that to be on with F0, regardless of direction. Wire the other lights to the normal forward and reverse wires. This is also how the Swiss lighting effect is done. You won't need the diodes, if you do this.

Mark
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mmervine
Offline einotuominen  
#3 Posted : 21 July 2023 07:47:47(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Originally Posted by: mmervine Go to Quoted Post
The best way to do this is to wire the lights that will always be on to AUX1 and set that to be on with F0, regardless of direction. Wire the other lights to the normal forward and reverse wires. This is also how the Swiss lighting effect is done. You won't need the diodes, if you do this.

Mark

And this is exactly how I ended up doing it. Thanks!

-Eino