Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Nalle  
#1 Posted : 14 July 2023 10:35:31(UTC)
Nalle

Sweden   
Hi,

I just got me a new mSD3 decoder and would like to get the Brake Squealing to work together with my PC program (iTrain).

I found an article in the English edition of Märklin magazine from October/November 2021 (#5) describing a function F15 - “Break squealing on” for use in “World of Operation” (same content as in Märklin Technik-Tipp Nr. 329). It can also be use in the case of computer-controlled layouts where the brake squealing is not working correctly.

The problem is that I cannot find any information about the CV used (CV260/CV261/CV262 when CV31=17 and CV32=0) in the information that Märklin supplies on their technical support site.

Does anyone have experience with the solution proposed in the article or direct me where I can find a complete list of CV's ?

Edited by user 15 July 2023 11:40:20(UTC)  | Reason: Grammar/spelling

Offline einotuominen  
#2 Posted : 16 July 2023 21:25:41(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
What exactly is the problem?

I had an issue of squealing not happening with Rocrail until I lowered the thershold (CV 64 if I recall) down to value of 4.

-Eino
Offline Crazy Harry  
#3 Posted : 16 July 2023 23:48:32(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Nalle Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

direct me where I can find a complete list of CV's ?

This is from the German Märklin site and is in German:

CV-Tabelle-mSD3.pdf (3,162kb) downloaded 46 time(s).

As Eino mentioned it is probably CV64 which needs adjusting.

Hope this helps,

Harold.
Offline Nalle  
#4 Posted : 17 July 2023 10:46:56(UTC)
Nalle

Sweden   
Hi,

I've included the second page of the article (also for download as PDF) and highlighted what caught my attention.

Marklin Magaazin 05-2021.pdf (2,155kb) downloaded 24 time(s).

Marklin Magaazin 05-2021.jpg

As can be seen from the text in the red-marked part of the article, there is a problem with getting the brake squealing to work when the loco is controlled using software on a PC. The article also the describes the implementation of the function on older locomotives. It was, at that time, implemented in a different way, using SUSI, and for such locomotives the brake sound also works fine for me.

As I wrote in my post, these CVs and the Activator (118) are not described in Märklin's documentation (not even the one Harold referred to) and before you try, you want to know what changes you are making.

I hope this explains my question better.
Björn
Offline einotuominen  
#5 Posted : 17 July 2023 20:02:25(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Brake squealing works for me and I’m controlling with PC software (Rocrail). But it did not untill I lowered CV64 down to a value of 4.

-Eino
Offline Nalle  
#6 Posted : 17 July 2023 21:35:26(UTC)
Nalle

Sweden   
Hi Eino,

I have now tested with values of 4-5 and it seems that it works in most cases. Now I have only tested this particular new decoder, so I need to test many more locomotives before I can be sure. I have not previously tested with such low values (but have tested zero), as in several places the following comment is made about CV64 - "If the value is too low, no squealing is activated" - but in this case also zero works.
Confused

But my question about documentation for the function that Märklin describes remains - we'll see if anyone has an answer.

Björn
Offline einotuominen  
#7 Posted : 18 July 2023 08:45:02(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Originally Posted by: Nalle Go to Quoted Post
Hi Eino,

...as in several places the following comment is made about CV64 - "If the value is too low, no squealing is activated" - but in this case also zero works.
Confused

This remains a mystery to me also. Maybe it is poor english translation? Anyways the lower the value is, you get squealing from very slow speeds also. PC software usually slow down the loco gradually by changing the speed and so the sound is not played as the braking is not steep enough. But with such low value as 4, it will work.

BR,
-Eino