Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline einotuominen  
#1 Posted : 05 July 2023 21:37:02(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Hi,

I was planning to start adding cab lights. Most my locos are equiped with mSD3 that have the 21 pin PCB.

I want to have independently controlled lights on both ends. I’m sure I can do the function mapping with the decoder programmer tool, but what is the correct way to connec the LED? From Aux 1-4 to anode and from cathode to the common return (orange)? I want to get away as few resistors as possible so is one enough on the common orange if several lights are turned on at the same time?

Have the Auxes got identical output levels?

I guess I can also do one function that when turned on will change cab lights by direction of travel, using the logic operations in DPT?

BR,
Eino
Offline ktsolias  
#2 Posted : 05 July 2023 22:35:12(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Hi
The cathode to the AUX 1-4. The anode to U+ (orange).
The resistors is best to be connected to the cathode. IF Connected to the anode the LEDs must be exactly the same, otherwise they will have strange behavior.

The fuction mapping can be done either with CS3 or with mDT3 and decoder programmer.
The CS3 is quicker no need to remove the decoder etc.

Regards
Costas

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 06 July 2023 08:01:46(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: einotuominen Go to Quoted Post
I want to get away as few resistors as possible so is one enough on the common orange if several lights are turned on at the same time?
Definitely maybe. Small differences in the LEDs can lead to visible differences in brightness. Feel free to try it, though.

AUX3 and AUX4 can be set to logic level mode or amplified mode, all other outputs are always in amplified mode.

I guess I can also do one function that when turned on will change cab lights by direction of travel, using the logic operations in DPT?
If you have enough physical outputs, you can achieve a lot by combining conditions.
With two extra transistors, you can achieve direction-dependent cab lights using just a single AUX output. Same goes for red rear lights.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline bph  
#4 Posted : 06 July 2023 14:50:28(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Hi,

I was planning to start adding cab lights. Most my locos are equiped with mSD3 that have the 21 pin PCB.

BR,
Eino

you can adjust each Aux out individually in the mDecoderTool. (click on configure outputs(wrench))

and you can also program the lights with a function that will change cab lights by direction of travel. e.g. add Output 1 in forward to AND 1 and Output 1 in reverse to AND 2 etc. and then mix the AND's together as required on each function. it will probably take some trial and error, but it's possible
As a start, you need something like this: (note this will not work as more configuration is needed, and the AND logic must be completed)
and.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph