Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Hematite  
#1 Posted : 05 June 2023 04:03:39(UTC)
Hematite

United States   
I recently acquired a group crocodiles.CADD707E-9E4E-4501-80D3-41A1A24597E0.jpeg

The 5758 is mounted on the factory display board and that board is mounted on another board.

Is the 5758 attached to the factory board by screws through the bottom of the board?

I want to be able to unfasten the 5758 from the board so I will have to separate the two boards. I think the two boards are held together with double sided tape.

I will try to attach a picture of what I have. I am a newbie so it may not work.

Thanks in advance.

Roger
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Hematite
Offline Bryan  
#2 Posted : 06 June 2023 23:36:35(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Hi Rodger

Yes the 5758 is attached by two screws to the factory baseboard. So you need to take the second board off the original so as to get to the screw heads.
Re-aasembleing is always a fiddle as the baseboard has to align with the holes on the underside of the loco. Small screw drivers are used with the up turned loco and baseboard to align everything . Take the screw drivers out when aligned and then put the screws in.

Lovely set of crocodiles.

David
Offline Hematite  
#3 Posted : 07 June 2023 02:14:29(UTC)
Hematite

United States   
David,

Thank you for replying to my question.

I did find info on the internet that indicated they are attached to the display board with screws. It was difficult removing the display board from the other board. I was careful not to damage the display board.

The box for it included a styrofoam cover that appears to hold the locomotive in place. There are two thin metal plates that the display board rests on when in the box. Do you know if there is any other packing material besides the bottom of the box, the styrofoam and the box cover?

A picture of any packing material would be greatly appreciated.

How are the pantographs released so they extend up?

Thanks again.

Roger

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 07 June 2023 12:47:18(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bryan Go to Quoted Post
Re-aasembleing is always a fiddle as the baseboard has to align with the holes on the underside of the loco. Small screw drivers are used with the up turned loco and baseboard to align everything . Take the screw drivers out when aligned and then put the screws in.

Get a silver marker pen and mark alignment marks on the baseboard of the location of all the loco's axles before you remove it off the baseboard. Makes reattaching the baseboard so much easier - I have done this with all my G1 locos. I also mark 'F' for the front and 'R' for the rear of the loco.

The other way of mounting a loco on a baseboard is to lay the baseboard on a flat surface. Line the loco up with the alignment marks, put any spacers in and thread the bolts through the holes and spacers. Run one end of the baseboard over the edge of the flat surface (table or whatever) up to where the first bolt hole is and lining everything up screw the bolt home finger tight only. Repeat for the other end then repeat for any intermediate bolts. Make sure you hold on to the baseboard and everything else and make sure no Heffalumps come charging past knocking you and everything to pieces while you are doing this.

When done tighten the bolts up with a screwdriver again moving the baseboard over the flat surface edge - I recommend no more than quarter of a turn past finger tight otherwise you run the risk of warping the loco's chassis. Make sure all wheels are inside the cut grooves, as you don't want a wheel at a different level to all the others when you tighten bolts up, doing that will surely warp the chassis.

Originally Posted by: Hematite Go to Quoted Post
How are the pantographs released so they extend up?

Carefully!

Check the loco's manual, I don't think 5758 has electric piezzo motors to raise the pantographs, which brings with a whole set of instructions.

The pantographs will have a clip holding them down, often one on each side. You need to carefully get the clip released from the bottom rail of the pantograph so that the pantograph can freely move.

G1panto.jpg