Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Toosmall  
#1 Posted : 31 May 2023 05:36:12(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
A trailer, more to come soon.

I have to make more Z gauge T-bars for the cable, not difficult, just not inspiring, plus a bit more other detail.

_MG_20960_011927.jpg
thanks 13 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline mmervine  
#2 Posted : 31 May 2023 12:28:43(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Looks great!
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline Toosmall  
#3 Posted : 03 June 2023 13:14:06(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
My first snow scene, the previous snow was temporary, was plastic grip, way over scale, for non slip floors, never glued down.

Filled in tree holes on the mountain, I hadn't originally planned to do a snow scene, this is why it is such a small area. Shoehorned the bottom of the ski run in as best as I could.

_MG_21130_070501.jpg

_MG_21131_070441.jpg

_MG_21220_065122.jpg

_MG_21221_065116.jpg

_MG_21661_103345.jpg
(Just noticed the cable has come off the rollers near the red pulley, I can't blame the skiers who have come off the T-bar! The red pulley has a spring instead of counter weight to keep cable taut.)

Filler was some Nordsjö Rapid Repair Filler 330g (from Bunnings - Australia), not cheap but didn't need much. The white colour was handy for the ski field. Had to apply it fairly quickly. Thicker bits dried overnight. Sanded down well. If you need really white snow the base colour needs to be white as the snow powder is a bit translucent as a thin layer. I did have a bit of the original grass just under the ski field here & there so the snow looks a bit thin in patches. I tried not to over perfect the surface. Better under cooked!

I should have made contours on the ski field with the plaster, as in principle the snow powder is bit like paint, it follows surface imperfections.

I used Noch 08750 Powdery Snow mostly applied through a small sieve onto 3M Super 77 spay glue (best spray glue) sometimes a few layers, sometimes dusted off &/or pressed down between layers depending on how smooth I wanted the surface. Also bought Noch 07065 but didn't use any. Might try a bit later on. I could put this small section of the layout easily at various angles which helped get the snow here & there. So if you have a huge layout you may want to have a removable area to apply snow better. It does make a difference.

Sealed with bit of Krylon Clear Glaze & a touch more snow powder. The powder is extremely fine so be careful avoiding breathing it in, there should be a safety warning. Also have a vacuum ready to clear the air. Wear a mask, you should have plenty these days!

A few of the people I have remodeled from Preiser. The T-bars are bits of fine stainless steel leftover etchings. Also the ski rescue sled. Other people are from Trafofuchs, they are very brittle, so you can't bend arms etc, I did snap a few & super glued (Zap-A-Gap) back together. I remodeled Trafofuchs ice skaters with skis for a bit more variety. I still have about 10 packet of other Trafofuchs people still to put around the layout. The people on the house are the bbq set.

The ski booth I made up from 0.75mm high impact styrene sheet & spray painted with 150g cans, glazing is some polarising 0.5mm sheet (made sure all orientated horizontally like the vehicle windows, so doesn't go black with polarising sunglasses).

The orange safety fence is some very open ribbon for presents from a news agent, $1.50 for a metre, only needed about 100mm x 4mm! I had tried colouring it with a quality permanent marker but it didn't look right. Tried orange spray paint from spray can & it worked brilliantly.

I will add a bit more detail & also do a light dusting of snow on the nearby areas, less down the "mountain". Overall the snow scene wasn't difficult. Just a bit more preparation of surfaces under the snow powder would have been better.

Edited by user 04 June 2023 02:46:02(UTC)  | Reason: Added photo with fisheye lens (f20, did try remapping from fisheye to 14mm, but left it as is.

thanks 9 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline ccranium  
#4 Posted : 04 June 2023 17:18:22(UTC)
ccranium

This is great, and so inspiring! And I particularly like the snowboarder trying to drag themself up the rope tow. So typical. 😜
Brian (the 50-year skier)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ccranium
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 10 July 2023 13:06:54(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I always had in mind to do a snow scene on my layout (HO) which expanded over a distance of 2100x1200mm, when we re-configured the layout, I got rid of the coal mine and extended the snow scene by another 2400x1200mm and it was worth it, some viewers thought it was a real snow scene, growing up in country with heaps of snow and long winters, my memories and my hands did the rest, re-creating a scene with heavy snow falls and lots of interesting and different sketches, another important fact was smoke coming out of chimneys.

Winter Landschaft 1.jpg

Winter Landschaft.jpg

Winter Landschaft 2.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Toosmall  
#6 Posted : 10 July 2023 14:06:28(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
I could extend my snow down the mountain a bit. I'm very happy with the result. Never really thought of snow other than a few small residual spring patches.

Basically shot myself in the foot creating parts for the ski area. Then thought, well, it needs snow!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Toosmall