Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline heinrichhess  
#1 Posted : 30 May 2023 21:45:53(UTC)
heinrichhess

United Kingdom   
I'm running mfx and older decoders on steam layout running of mobile station 2. Can I get loco's to sound the whistle from running over contact track?

I'm running reverse loop to terminus stations and would like to know when train is approaching. The best I can come up is mounting a separate speakers wired to track triping power and setting of speakers

All my locos have built in speakers so seem a waste to run it that way + would be nice to have different sound from loco's. I do not have command station or software set up yet

Edited by moderator 06 June 2023 23:22:44(UTC)  | Reason: Edited for clarity - no offence :-)

Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 31 May 2023 00:54:26(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Heinrich
With a MS2 you can run digital locos (MFX, DCC, MMS2) and turn ON / OFF any of their fonctions
What you cannot do with a MS2 alone is to associate a contact with a command.

To do this, you need a CS3. Either the couple CS3 and Link88 (60226 + 60883) or the couple CS3+ and M88 (60216 + 60881)
The CS3 can read track contacts and use then to trigger a pre-recorded chain of commands. This is the event fonction
Here is a video on simple events to trigger turnouts, signals, locos etc

Here is my automatic layout using that pair (CS3+Link88) plus Rocrail https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6WnhXPcRqI
Cheers
Jean

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline heinrichhess  
#3 Posted : 03 June 2023 01:26:50(UTC)
heinrichhess

United Kingdom   
thanks will watch vid now sounds like moor cash tho
Offline rhfil  
#4 Posted : 03 June 2023 15:47:06(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
It is easy to do but you need the proper equipment. A CS2 or 3, an appropriate S88, and any of the track sensors - contact, circuit or reed switch.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 03 June 2023 22:49:56(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: heinrichhess Go to Quoted Post
i running mfx and older decoders on steam layout running of mobile station 2 can i get loco's to sound the whistle from running over contact track im running reverse loop to terminus stations and would like to know when train is approaching the best i can come up is mounting a separate speakers wired to track triping power and setting of speakers all my locos have built in speakers so seam a waste to run it that way + would be nice to have different sound from loco's i donot have command station or software set up yet

You could set up a train whistle (speaker) that would activate when the contact was tripped. it would not set off the digital whistle of that particular locomotive, but would let you know that a train was at that location. This would likely be cheaper than going to CS2/3 and the other upgrades to make it digitally feasible.

Regards

Mike C
Offline heinrichhess  
#6 Posted : 04 June 2023 01:30:03(UTC)
heinrichhess

United Kingdom   
thanks mike ci thinking about setting up a bell like sound now that would work in signal box running from contact track alerting of trains arrival