Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline marklinist5999  
#1 Posted : 01 June 2023 21:30:34(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Just wondering? Must have to do with the relay.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 02 June 2023 00:39:40(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
Simple Märklin fan from a long time here but without direct connections with Märklin.

Why four positions?
This allows to have one position being stopped at station with headlights on.
This further allows to have 2 locos on the same circuit with one being active while the other one is stopped (at station).
Agreed this last operation may require some resynchronizing using the manual lever to change the relay (in use by Märklin until approx. 1960.
According to some authors, the "other" reason for Märklin not to use the ratchet relay (2 positions) before 1959 was patents.

So the four-position relay uses a drum being rotated by a solenoid by 1/8th of a turn with 2 contacts
Here is one late version with an anti-kick contact
Telex relayR.png
Fig 1 : the magnetic circuit
Fig 2: the solenoid and contact holder
Fig 3 : the drum Notice the 2 adjacent rotating surfaces 1 is metal and the other is bakelite
Fig 4 : the drum axle holder
Fig 5 : the ratchet
Fig 6 : the anti-kick contact. It is a later addition (around 1958). When the armature is closed, the nut on the ratchet disconnects the motor to prevent the "Bocksprung" (buck jump)

The spring is not represented

Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 02 June 2023 06:44:51(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Just wondering? Must have to do with the relay.
Modern decoders remember the direction. When they come new out of the box or out of storage, the direction may not match the direction in the digital controller. Clicking twice will sync controller and decoder.

When they were used in reverse and the controller does not remember the direction, a "double click" may also be needed after power-up.

This behaviour is not limited to trains with two sliders.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 02 June 2023 14:28:01(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Thank's Tom! Because my layout is a horse shoe dogbone, the direction depends on where I set the train on it, as well as the direction. Trains in unison follow each other so as not to collide. Once I turn headlights on, I know which way it will run, then I check the train parked in the station before I set them off to go. The station is on an oval, and the town oval on the opposite side has one, so turnouts also have to be set so trains don't enter them or exit them when two or three are running the entire loop. I don't use automation or events much because there are not enough signals nor blocks.