Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline williechan  
#1 Posted : 24 February 2007 01:23:25(UTC)
williechan

I have also posted this message in the "digital" section:

Hello! I am new to Marklin 1 and to model trains since I was a much younger child 40 years ago. I have assembled a large amount of track, cars and locos through various sources and am now contemplating a layout. I am using a start set with Marklin 6021 control unit which I have set in the 1/on, 2/on, 3/on, 4/off position. The two engines which came with the set are operating fine with functions, no sound. Other engines I have purchased used are not working although I have tried only limited number because I don't wish to damage them. 55151 K.P.E.V. G8 (BR55) is responding to ID (08) with lights forward and reverse but not dealing with sound, cabin lights, etc. I have also noticed intermittent illumination of the downlights along the loco body and even "St. Elmos Fire" around the drive wheels. What is going on?

Other locos include following: 5706 steam, 5799 steam, loco from K.P.E.V. set 5502, 5750 der Adler set, 5758 Krocodil. Do these run digital already or do they need conversion?

I have one additional loco coming from Germany 5574 which has been converted with Loksound system. Also coming from Germany is about 300 feet of aditional track for entire layout including Hubner and Hegob items and turnouts.

Now we need to decide control system. There are many electric turnouts and already ten engines. There is only one control unit so it is time to scrap that if we need to and get started with the most scalable system. I will attend Spur 1 Tage in Sensheim in June to decide control systems but would like some input.

In the meantime, how do I get these other locos and engines running for testing, converting to sound, etc...???

Thank you for any help!! I know nothing!!
Offline kml  
#2 Posted : 24 February 2007 07:03:17(UTC)
kml

Hi Williechan

nice round up you have out there.

i also have some items and do not have a layout yet. you would need some boosters. These big trains really draw a lot of power .

do your trains come with the manual .. it should say whether they are digital or not ? If they are not digital then you cannot run them with the 6021.

Do you also have the conventional blue transformer? if yes, then you should be able to run them all with this, although very slowly. No functions can be used.

do you have the mobile station...(even for the HO starter sets, 1.2A ) ? if so, you should be able to control the digital trains. Select the train from the database which matches the functions of your train , change the address and you can test the functions. Either run or test with this ms , if you do both the trains might stop.

btw, where are you from ?

kml
Offline steventrain  
#3 Posted : 26 February 2007 19:22:18(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Welcome to the forum,williechan.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline williechan  
#4 Posted : 26 February 2007 21:10:00(UTC)
williechan

KML:

I am in Memphis, Tennessee, USA. I have the 55151 running on the 6021 and am working on the rest. I do not have the blue transformer only the 6021 plus black power pack transformer.

I think I will need to set up my workbench for the other loks to investigate the insides and decoders!

What do you think about Central Station Marklin vs. ESU vs. software PC based controls?
Offline kml  
#5 Posted : 27 February 2007 06:06:27(UTC)
kml

Williechan

look in the manual , it should say whether the loks are digital or not ?

do you have any other friends having some trains ... even dc .. you can borrow his controller and get your marklin trains to run in dc mode . Switching between the ac / dc is on the trains decoder/pcb panel.

if you want to run only marklin ac then then the central station is good.

if you want to run dcc alongwith motorola format (marklin ac) then the CS cannot be used with DCC. In this case, you will have to look for the IB or the ESU.

there are a lot of topics on the cs, ib , ecos if you look back in the digital section to get a feel of what is going on.

as for your conversion of trains to digital ... most marklin 1 stuff can be converted to either formats ( motorola or dcc ) as they can run on ac or dc already.

have you got the 5574 (red kof ) ?? one beautiful looking lok ..

kml
Offline Charlie  
#6 Posted : 28 February 2007 15:31:24(UTC)
Charlie

Consider the Ecos, if nothing else, it supllies more power, something that you will need.

Charlie
Offline charles Sharpe  
#7 Posted : 24 March 2007 17:09:23(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Welcome to the forum, WillechanSmileSmile
CHARLES SHARPE