Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kiwiAlan  
#1 Posted : 16 March 2023 21:57:55(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Saw this item scrolling through the BBC News site today. makes interesting reading.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64950747

thanks 9 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 17 March 2023 05:19:09(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I'm not for sure I think ÖBB re-intoduced night trains and bought carriages from Germany (Germany has given them up), ÖBB now operates quite a few routes with these night trains and has updated the night trains with new designed carriages.,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline kimballthurlow  
#3 Posted : 18 March 2023 00:02:48(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Thanks Alan, very interesting.
The article says in the last paragraph that "People want to get away from the stress of the airport,...".
As an international traveller I found plenty of stress on a European night train in 2014 with no baggage facilities.
And 5 minutes to board.
My compartment was taken up with airport type suitcases and it is a miracle I struggled along corridors to get them there, then find a bed.

I hope they can find a solution to that.
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#4 Posted : 18 March 2023 00:41:02(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
I’d still take that over the US Army Berlin-Frankfurt Duty Train any day, er, night Laugh
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Eurobahnfan
Offline marklinist5999  
#5 Posted : 18 March 2023 13:35:15(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
My dad enlisted to the US army in 1953. He sailed to Bremmerhaven, and they sent them by the old Thunderbox train to Saarbrucken. Then on to France. He told me he was sationed at a parts and munitions depot as an inventory person in Charleroix, but isn't that in Belgium?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline TrainIride  
#6 Posted : 18 March 2023 15:14:29(UTC)
TrainIride

France   
Paris Vienna NightJet since 2021 I believe:

What a nice Br185 SNCF Love

A good idea for a Märklin model !

Br185_SNCF_Nightjet.jpg

Listen at 4:25 : I did not know the Taurus was a singer Smile

Best Regards
Joël
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by TrainIride
Offline Alsterstreek  
#7 Posted : 18 March 2023 16:15:02(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Alan, very interesting.
The article says in the last paragraph that "People want to get away from the stress of the airport,...".
As an international traveller I found plenty of stress on a European night train in 2014 with no baggage facilities.
And 5 minutes to board.
My compartment was taken up with airport type suitcases and it is a miracle I struggled along corridors to get them there, then find a bed.

I hope they can find a solution to that.
Kimball
I am sorry to hear that. Regarding stress level comparisons, I don't know what your flying experience is. On intra-European flights, I'm fed up with time-consuming boarding procedures and baggage regulations in airports far away from city centres. That's why I prefer train travel where I have not to wait for baggage drop-off and pick-up, even if that means heaving suitcases "just in time". One advantage of auto trains is that one can leave large suitcases in the car trunk (which doesn't help you, of course).

About the solution you are hoping for: While the manual for travel with the ÖBB night trains in Germany stipiulates that a passenber can take luggage on board with a maximum dimension of 90cm x 60cm x 40cm per piece, ÖBB’s door-to-door luggage service offers to collect and send luggage from any address to any address in Austria, South Tyrol & Germany (mainland as well as the islands of Usedom and Rügen) for an unlimited number of pieces of luggage with a maximum weight of 30 kg each and a combined length and girth of 300 cm per piece. Deutsche Bahn offers a similar service within Germany and SBB within Switzerland. Furthermore, I understand that the company "Eurosender" offers luggage services for train travellers within Europe.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Alsterstreek  
#8 Posted : 18 March 2023 16:23:10(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
My dad enlisted to the US army in 1953. He sailed to Bremmerhaven, and they sent them by the old Thunderbox train to Saarbrucken. Then on to France. He told me he was sationed at a parts and munitions depot as an inventory person in Charleroix, but isn't that in Belgium?
Charleroi is located in the French-speaking part of Belgium.

1947-1956 the Saarland with its capitol Saarbrücken was a French protectorate and a disputed territory separated from Germany. On joining the Federal Republic of Germany (FRG/West Germany) in 1957, it became a "federal state" (Bundesland).
Offline Toosmall  
#9 Posted : 18 March 2023 17:03:16(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
The only train we have been on and slept was Sydney > Adelaide > Alice Springs in central Australia. First half the Indian Pacific then on The Ghan.

It was nice to be horizontal at night, but too expensive and obviously you don't see anything at night. Have done the same trip by car and we can stop anywhere we like which we do often.

6618_023955.jpg

Our trains are diesel and don't see that changing for 50 years so no CO2 advantage.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline bph  
#10 Posted : 18 March 2023 19:20:02(UTC)
bph

Norway   
the Norwegian company Vy has recently started with lie-flat seats in addition to the regular compartment car with beds.
https://www.vy.no/en/buy-tickets/train-tickets/plusnight
https://images.vy.no/hjhj7ba3pm/Lie-flat%20seats%20PlusNight.jpeg
https://www.norsketog.no/assets/photos/Tog/Plantegninger/NT_Type7_B7-7_V3.png

Some second-hand german BDcm 874.1 compartment coaches have also been acquired and upgraded in Finland.
UserPostedImage
https://gfx.nrk.no/fkP6M0lBSGeR_Ft0KgwBHgofWolbbD12VAtoycHZktiQ.jpg
Some of the coaches in Finland on temporary broad gauge bogies, with the normal gauge bogies on separate flatbed cars

With new paint and Norwegian markings but still in Finland.
https://gfx.nrk.no/J18dUmxB_m80FJsKhR5BxwgEL8-4alCN7zKESvw2384w.jpg
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline PJMärklin  
#11 Posted : 18 March 2023 22:18:25(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
My wife and I travelled by night train from Paris to Zürich in 1986. It was a fun trip. Unfortunately I have no photos of that trip. On embarking I argued with the conductor who wanted to take our passports. He said “OK, keep them and I will wake you at border crossings for the officials to inspect the passports .” Not hard to guess the outcome !

In our country our family (wife plus our three sons) did an overnight trip on the Ghan back in the early 1990’s. I have posted on this before : https://www.marklin-user...large-layouts#post518878
We enjoyed the experience. At that time it had not extended to Darwin - that trip remains on our list.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline kimballthurlow  
#12 Posted : 19 March 2023 01:34:07(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
...., ÖBB’s door-to-door luggage service offers to collect and send luggage from any address to any address in Austria, South Tyrol & Germany (mainland as well as the islands of Usedom and Rügen) for an unlimited number of pieces of luggage with a maximum weight of 30 kg each and a combined length and girth of 300 cm per piece. Deutsche Bahn offers a similar service within Germany and SBB within Switzerland. Furthermore, I understand that the company "Eurosender" offers luggage services for train travellers within Europe.

Hi Ak,
Eurosender sounds like a great idea.
I will remember that and the other alternatives.

regards
Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline jerdenberg  
#13 Posted : 20 March 2023 10:23:04(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
In 2009, on our way back from the Märklin Tage, we travelled by night train from Ulm to Amsterdam in the most luxurious compartment we have encountered (of a type that must have been discontinued shortly after). In addition to the berths, there was a table with two chairs, a locker, and a private bathroom. Only problem was that we did not have enough time to fully enjoy this luxury: we boarded the train at 00:30h, almost immediately went to sleep, and arrived in Amsterdam at about 9:30 in the morning.

night train compartment

night train compartment

night train compartment

Jeroen
Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by jerdenberg
Offline Rwill  
#14 Posted : 20 March 2023 12:59:37(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
My parents retired from London to Penzance Cornwall some fifty years ago. I had just left school and was skint. So there was a sleeper train every night at 23:45 which I caught. Puzzled by the fact that there were as many normal carriages as sleepers. I could not afford the sleeper but the rest of the train was almost empty so I found myself a lovely compartment and settled in sprawled out and went to sleep. Not a good nights sleep really as to make the journey last into the morning we would stop quite regularly like a couple of miles outside Bristol for a couple of hours in like a shunting yard-not very relaxing!!. And finally I got to sleep. So I woke up and it was broad daylight and I was shocked that my compartment was now completely full of schoolkids, people going to market all very grumpy at this lout taking up about four seats. I moved to sitting position and tried to make polite apologies and was totally ignored. Future journeys I took the normal train during the day - it was much prettier anyway.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline jerdenberg  
#15 Posted : 21 March 2023 10:54:49(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
London to Penzance Cornwall

That awoke memories of a 1976 Britrail Pass adventure with my mother and two sisters. One leg of our journey was London to Penzance in the night train described by Rwill. As with Rwill's train, this one was fairly empty, so we occupied two compartments between the four of us. We had the compartments to ourselves all the way to Penzance, so we had a good night's sleep; I only remember waking up for a moment in the early morning just to see the sun rising above a quiet sea, then going to sleep again. From Penzance we visited the sunny beach of Marazion, where we paddled in clear water with fish swimming around us [and a nice view of St. Michael's Mount].

It was a dry and hot summer in 1976, so much that when we visited Stonehenge most of the visitors sat down in the shadow instead of looking around. It was great afterwards to dip our feet into the Avon and enjoy the coolness inside Salisbury Cathedral. After a hot train ride to London we took sleeper compartments in the night train to Inverness, where we thankfully greeted a gentle drizzle!

Jeroen

Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by jerdenberg
Offline bph  
#16 Posted : 21 May 2023 18:20:56(UTC)
bph

Norway   
A review of the Vy PlusNight Lie-flat Seat on the Oslo-Bergen line
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline Alsterstreek  
#17 Posted : 26 May 2023 13:52:38(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
"The best new European sleeper trains we can’t wait to ride in 2023"

Germany to Venice and Croatia
Prague to Germany and Switzerland
Brussels to Berlin (via Amsterdam and Rotterdam)
Munich and Vienna to Italy, Paris to Vienna
Budapest and Romania
Amsterdam to Cologne and Zurich
Hamburg to Stockholm
Zurich to Milan and Rome
The Orient Express to Italy

https://www.timeout.com/...ean-sleeper-train-routes

Offline Alsterstreek  
#18 Posted : 26 May 2023 14:00:26(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Offline PJMärklin  
#19 Posted : 26 May 2023 15:18:13(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Thanks for the post Ak, I enjoyed the video.

As you know, we will be in Hamburg late next month/ early July and will later do this trip Hamburg to Stockholm in a day.
The route’s service structure seems a bit disrupted by delayed changes in the arrival of new DSB emus meaning most trains will be DB ICE from Hamburg to Fredericia then DB intercity coaches on loan pulled by Danish locomotives (until the delayed new DSB units arrive) to Copenhagen. Direct ICE from Hamburg to Copenhagen is quite limited.
Will then travel from Copenhagen to Stockholm by fast SJ X2000. (Then Stockholm to Oslo next day).

Going all the way Hamburg to Stockholm on one SJ train looks very interesting, albeit asleep most of the way.

Night trains are an interest to me (see https://www.marklin-user...running-today#post644857 ), historically romantic and it is nice that they are in resurgence but for us seniors they remain an adventurous memory of our younger years Blushing
Regards
PJ
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin