Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline revmox  
#1 Posted : 06 May 2023 00:19:56(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
Found my old collection of Lone Star Locos diecast push along trains. I really thought this was just wonderful stuff when 5 years old in 1960.

It made me start wondering who produced the first of the smaller gauge stuff in commercial quantities.

These were done at a nominal scale of 1:152 being half the 00 1:76 scale with very simple clip together track loosely based on the 00 Triang/Hornby series 3 geometry. That should give a track gauge of 8.25mm and this number appears in many documents but it is wrong - the measured gauge is actually very close to 8mm. They were pretty primitive and a real pain for a child to get to stay on the rails - but they were trains to play with.

They then brought out a motorised version on 9mm gauge called Treble-0-Lectric.

Were these the Treble-0-Lectric trains the first N gauge models or did they copy something from America? Does someone in the small gauge community have a definitive answer?

Lone Star Locos.jpg

Here's some random snippets for those who might be interested.

In the 1950s, Lone Star developed a range of what is called "push-along" railway toys made of diecast zinc alloy. They dubbed the series "Lone Star Locos" and it was quite extensive for a push-along toy train; they produced 42 different items in this series, including trains, track, and accessories of mainly British outline, although there were representatives of US prototype too. Couplers were a kind of peg and hole arangement where a verticle peg on one car inserted into a hole or loop on the next car. Wheels and track were also diecast metal and were 8mm gauge. As the description suggests, these are unpowered models and are "pushed along." There is a growing interest in these as collectables as well as in the later Treble-O-Lectric and Treble-O-Trains (which, like the early push-alongs, are unpowered ).

The company started producing (OOO scale), 2mm to the foot, British and American outline model push-along-trains in 1957. These utilised 8.25mm gauge metal track and a range of diecast station buildings. This line was designed by long term Lone Star employee Stuart Goss, and followed in 1960 by "Treble-0-Lectric" electrically powered working models of two British diesel locomotives: The Class 24 Sulzer Type 2 diesel, the Class 23 Napier Type 2 "Baby Deltic" diesel, an American Baldwin 0-8-0 Steam Locomotive and an F7 US Diesel Electric which was available in both US and Canadian liveries.[13] These were accompanied by track, British & Continental outline rolling stock, scenic items and other accessories, such as the "Gulliver County" range of rubber moulded buildings in 2mm scale. Vacuum-formed bases were available to form "instant" scenic layouts and these could be purchased separately or in sets.

http://www.irwinsjournal...1g/a1glocos/TrebleO.html

https://www.planetdiecas...1&id=96&Itemid=0
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by revmox
Offline EMD_GP7  
#2 Posted : 06 May 2023 15:00:36(UTC)
EMD_GP7

I remember in the early 60s a shop in the nearby shopping town of Tamworth , Staffordshire which sold Lone Star railway models.
At the time I was into Triang and Hornby trains so only had a passing interest in the push-along trains.
Other shops in the town sold Triang, Hornby and Trix railways but I do not remember ever seeing Treble-O-lectric trains for sale.
I have a catalogue from 1967 by W&H models which lists the Treble-O-lectric range and also a cast metal Ffestiniog double Farlie in 5.5mm /foot scale which used the Treble-O-lectric mechanism.
Coincidentally I was in Blaeneau Ffestiniog some years ago and noticed a Treble-O-lectric moulded layout in the window ! It was not for sale but in what I think was an estate agents shop window.
Here's a website which may interest you.
http://www.irwinsjournal...1g/a1glocos/TrebleO.html
Regards, Colin.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by EMD_GP7
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#3 Posted : 06 May 2023 20:25:12(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
I remember buying the push-along trains and track from Woolworths, I suppose in the late '60s. The track was moulded plastic by then and the couplings had changed to Triang style hook-and bar type. I distinctly remember the packs being branded "Treble-O-Lectric" as it struck me odd seeing as there was clearly no electricity involved! I don't remember there being any UK trains available - certainly all of mine were US/Canadian, but I suspect Woolworths might just have picked up a job lot of leftovers and oddments.

Some time later I picked up a job-lot of the electric train track - the sleeper dimensions and spacing were way off, more like narrow gauge track - but it used code 80 rail. I used it in the hidden sections of my N gauge layout of the time.

By today's standards it was all very crude, but then so was early N gauge, and it probably held its own relatively well at the time.

I have fond feelings for the Lone Star stuff, but I suppose it's all wrapped up in feelings of nostalgia for the time.

Cheers

Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton