Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Zme  
#1 Posted : 17 April 2023 05:01:18(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello everyone, hope you are well.

Well I thought I was doing just great when I bid on and won a Br 94, 88943 listed on eBay. I had been watching for one of these for a while since Chris touted the ability of this one to climb hills. I was somewhat aware of a good price and used PayPal like always. This was on April 3rd and I had purchased from this seller more than several times. I just had to wait for that shipping time all the way from New York.

This turned out to be the least of my worries. This seller shipped right away, but failed to provide a tracking number but at the time I was not worried because of my past experiences. This was during the Easter time.

It turned out, this item was delivered here just two days later, but I never realized it. I have those consolidated mail box centers and don’t check it every single day, but fairly consistently. A week later I contacted my seller to ask about my package and to my surprise he provided the record from the post office confirming the delivery a week earlier.

I submitted an inquiry and was told to submit a claim for a lost package. I have very little hope for a positive outcome to this episode and sadly feel like my years of good luck finally ran out. As they say, “some days are diamonds, some days are coal”.

Take good care. Maybe tomorrow will be your diamond day.

Dwight

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 17 April 2023 13:54:11(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Bummer! I had a package stolen 2 years ago. I filed a claim with USPS, and I was told it was in fact delivered to the wrong address. My carrier asked the homeowner if they had recieved it my mistake, and they said no.
It turned out the shipper in Sydney, Au. had my inccorect house number. I filed a correction, but they didn't do it in time. It was a $70 package, and not worth paying as much in re-shipping. USPS didn't pay me anything because it had been delivered.
It was men's 100% cotton casual/workout pants from Aussiebum. Super comfortable with zip pockets so you don't lose your phone, etc if running, etc.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Zme
Offline Zme  
#3 Posted : 17 April 2023 15:50:08(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, thanks, hope all is well.

That is not good. Seems there should be some worthwhile remedy. On eBay, I thought my address is already in the record and they make it easy to print and ship, but I really don’t know.

There is no fix for this one even if I file a claim.

My only hope is for my package is that it will show up someday or be returned to my vendor, but at this point it seems unlikely. It has already been ten days.

I will be crying about the one that got away for a while.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline parakiet  
#4 Posted : 17 April 2023 18:37:06(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
I have kinda the same problems here.
Ebay provided a "no reply" e-mail and postal services mailed updates there. Needless to say.. No one received those updates and packages got returned to sender.
Sometimes packages get dropped in the garden without updates.. GLS is the worst courier here. And there is little you can do.

Once I was actually ripped of: someone sold the twin torpedo package. There was almost no response so I got it for about 75 euro. He just shipped one torpedo car and provided one tracking number after a bombardment of mails and private messages.
It was without paypal, and eBay wouldn't do a thing.

So I try to calculate my risks. These days my shipments seem to arrive.. but I do watch out and I always add a message to the seller "please provide tracking number by pm or mail to".

I must say that after years of collecting I don't feel the need to jump on everything. But whenever I spot something "cheap" I get tempted.. Even if I already have that item... Somehow I figure.. If mine needs replacements parts.. it's a good price to make one good out of two bad.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by parakiet
Offline marklinist5999  
#5 Posted : 17 April 2023 22:12:26(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
These days, it seems there is some scum everywhere! It's really disgusting. We were tought courage, honor, pride, regard respect, integrity, honesty.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Zme
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#6 Posted : 18 April 2023 20:30:02(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
Hello everyone, hope you are well.

Well I thought I was doing just great when I bid on and won a Br 94, 88943 listed on eBay. I had been watching for one of these for a while since Chris touted the ability of this one to climb hills.

It turned out, this item was delivered here just two days later, but I never realized it. I have those consolidated mail box centers and don’t check it every single day, but fairly consistently. A week later I contacted my seller to ask about my package and to my surprise he provided the record from the post office confirming the delivery a week earlier.

I submitted an inquiry and was told to submit a claim for a lost package.

Hi Dwight,

I really feel for you - I hope the package does turn up eventually, not least because I feel slightly responsible for you purchasing in the first place. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, in any case.

I have a (non railway related) package sent in December that has been showing as at Milton Keynes sorting hub since 13th February. British Royal mail don't seem interested in helping, though the seller has sent a replacement that arrived in good time. I just hope she isn't out of pocket as a result of Royal Mail's incompetence!

I hope you get a BR94 eventually and I hope it lives up to the build up I've given it when you do!

All the best

Chris

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline Zme  
#7 Posted : 19 April 2023 02:49:56(UTC)
Zme

United States   
No worries Chris.

We all try to share our knowledge and experience, and hopefully inspire someone along the way.

The experience I had with the Br 96 and its pulling power hopefully inspired someone looking for this type of locomotive. You did the same for me.

If we didn’t inspire each other, it wouldn’t be a forum.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline husafreak  
#8 Posted : 19 April 2023 04:11:56(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I have been robbed on eBay (a guitar) but that was fixed by the Police department in the town of the seller. It was a young man who ran a scam and in the end his family returned everyone's money. This is different. Since you had good luck with this seller before I imagine he is a good guy and sent the package. But where I live package thieves are like flies! It takes a lot of effort and some great neighbors to get to my deliveries before the bad guys roll around. If someone stole your package it is what it is, a loss, be glad he didn't take your catalytic converter! (that cost me much more). The more I hear it this is no local phenomenon, a lot of crooks are in business now and have just decided to take whatever they want. Underfunded and overburdened police have given up. Heck, in CA, USA, where I live, the courts won't even pursue a theft of less than $900. So thieves are just fearless. Sorry for your loss, I hope it turns up, and stay on top of those package deliveries!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline Zme  
#9 Posted : 19 April 2023 04:50:57(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Thank you. You are right, it can always be worse.

I have won auctions from this vendor 5 or 6 times before without issues. But as we all know, anything good can suddenly go bad.

The tracking document from him shows the package tracking from NY to me. The P.O. seems to recognize this tracking and says the package was delivered to my mailbox. I never found the package in my mailbox so I actually believe the carrier put this package in a mailbox on another street. We have the cluster type boxes and mine is without a large package box. The box could have fit in my mailbox, it just was not there. A mystery which will haunt me for a while. When I go out the front door, or go to my mailbox, I am always looking for this ghost.

I asked the sender to provide some information for a claim and I apparently need the original receipt of shipping. I already submitted a package trace and was told to submit a lost package claim but I need that receipt.

The may take awhile to settle. There is still a chance. I have never lost a package before and have lived here for a long time without issues.

Take good care

Dwight

Offline husafreak  
#10 Posted : 19 April 2023 16:29:14(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Here’s hoping it is just lost in the mail and shows up soon!
Offline Toosmall  
#11 Posted : 19 April 2023 17:40:50(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
In Australia they are required to provide a receipt for tax purposes, otherwise report to relevant authority.

Failing that you just have to create endless adminstration for them. At least cost them more money than you lost.

On a few occasions I write a letter to the CEO of the company in a physical letter, physical letters work wonders. You only ever get to speak to one of CEO's lackeys, but at least you can have a polite but firm conversation on the issue. Has always solved the issue for me.

But if you can't win at least make it endlessly expensive for the other party. There is a surprising amount of satisfaction in that aspect alone. Just constantly waste their time... in other words money.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline Zme  
#12 Posted : 28 April 2023 06:07:08(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello. Hope all is well.

That package still has not shown up. So sad.

To my good luck, the seller covered half of my loss when he didn’t have to do anything.

I submitted two trace requests, an appeal to EBay and finally I requested investigation of this as a stolen item. No word on this yet. The problem with getting any satisfaction on this kind of situation is that the P.O. statement the item was delivered is difficult to overcome.

I sure wanted to add an 88943 to my collection. Do not know if this will come up again. It was last produced in 2016. Maybe it will come out with the new motor or it might already be modeled. That would be great.

Thank, take good care.

Dwight
Offline parakiet  
#13 Posted : 29 April 2023 17:37:07(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
That's a nice gesture of the seller!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by parakiet
Zme
Offline einotuominen  
#14 Posted : 30 April 2023 10:36:04(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
I've had to use the eBays money back quarantee several times due to lost shipments. The sellers are always very co-operative in these matters, and most use insuranced shipping, so neither seller or buyer loses. However some sellers ship without insurance, but everytime the money back quarantee has worked.

BR,
Eino
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by einotuominen