Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Marklinacc52  
#1 Posted : 20 April 2023 13:38:12(UTC)
Marklinacc52

Australia   

I am asking if anyone has any information relating to who imported MArklin When? Any historial information would be usefule.

1. EMAIL had a warehouse in Sydney where MArklin was stockpiled and sent to retailers in Australia during the 50s-60s
KArl and Frank Myer started Minicity in Dubbo and then started importing in the 40s-60s Minicity was disaplayed all around Australia and eventually ended up near Magic Moutain at mermaid Beach on Gold Coast Qld. It was moved acroos the road to a bigger place
2. Bill Sylvester became an importer in the 60s-70s
3. Walthers and Stevenson and Levesons were retailers in Sydney in the 50s
4. Model Dockyard In Melbourne retailer
5. Searles of Pitt st Sydney were retails along with Hobbyco in the 50s
6. Retailers Like Bill Webb Model railways at Mittagong now Allaboard
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Marklinacc52
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 21 April 2023 10:52:13(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I don't know whether he was an importer or retailer in WA, Rossiter, don't know whether the name is spelled correctly or if there was a buiness name associated with (around the years 2000)

John

Edited by user 21 April 2023 16:17:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 23 April 2023 02:07:06(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
This is a topic of interest to me also. Have you reviewed this previous thread (perhaps they could be merged - BD?)

https://www.marklin-user...cularly-NZ-and-Australia

And while I think of it - I acknowledge some of the information below may be either from that other thread, or from other members kindly sharing their own material - very much appreciated!

For some time I've been gathering information as it comes to hand about the Marklin scene in NZ, and by extension, Australia also. The intention being an article on the subject once I have enough material to actually work from.

My main sources of information are anecdotal, word of mouth, chit-chat etc, usually from old-timers in the game - although some would class me in that range also.

But for me an important resource is anything printed or produced that nails down a time-period. Catalogues and Price Lists with Dealer Stamps is the most obvious, but also old advertisements (Newspaper usually), correspondence etc.

In regards to Australia specifically, what I can add so far is regarding Searle & Co in Sydney. This sign was sold at Auction some years ago. Someone in Australia has it. This sign was in the special 1953 Werbehilfen catalogue of Dealer promotional items.

Note that the sign states at that time, "Est. 53 years". so this indicates the company was founded around 1900 - that's a long time, and surely a rich history.

1953 Sign-SearleSydney.jpg

1953-Werbehilfen_1020(Searle).jpg

When exactly they started selling Marklin items is unknown, but there may be ways to find out more. Your National Archives for example may have some info?

Another possible avenue is your Customs Dept, records of Imports can sometime be quite detailed. What, When and by Who.

This advertisement might be of interest, from the Sunday Herald, 1951 Nov. 18. It lists four different retailers, Searle, HobbyCo, Price's and Southern Cycles. Note of course the "Factory Representative" at the time, "James Balfour, 13 Market St, Sydney, a Unit of EMAIL"

1951Nov18-SundayHerald-MarklinSydney.jpg

There's also this taken from a 1949 catalogue

z-searle sydney 1949 763 catalogue label.jpg

As far as price lists goes, these are what I have so far

1962 - J Searle & Sons Sydney

1975 - (believed to be Australia, but no dealer info)

1976 - HOBBYCO - Sydney stamp on front, Email logo on rear. ** Note this is a factory printed pricelist from the print code "TN 0576 ru" indicates a print run of 10,000. Must have had a healthy customer-base! (yellow paper)

1976 (Effective 04 1977) - EMAIL Ltd, Joynton Ave, Waterloo, NSW on the front, HOBBYCO on the rear (yellow paper) - this style pricelist is likely importer named on the front, and retailer personalised on the rear)

1978 July - EMAIL Ltd, Joynton Ave, Waterloo, NSW (pink paper)

1976-77 - The Model Dockyard Pty Ltd, 216-218 Swanston St Melbourne
1977-78 - The Model Dockyard Pty Ltd, 216-218 Swanston St Melbourne

1980 July - MARKLIN DISTRIBUTORS - Sole Australian Agents - Suite 3, 100 South Pacific Highway, Waitara NSW (green paper)
1982 July - MARKLIN DISTRIBUTORS - Sole Australian Agents - Suite 3, 100 South Pacific Highway, Waitara NSW (pink paper) - BILL WEBB stamped on front, Figtree NSW
1983 July - MARKLIN DISTRIBUTORS - Sole Australian Agents - Suite 3, 100 South Pacific Highway, Waitara NSW (yellow paper)
1986 Feb (New Items) - MARKLIN DISTRIBUTORS - Sole Australian Agents - Suite 3, 100 South Pacific Highway, Waitara NSW (white paper, photocopy?)
1995 July - MARKLIN DISTRIBUTORS - Sole Australian Agents, P.O. Box 517, Wahroonga, NSW

There is also currently Nathans Trains (https://www.nathanstrains.com/) - I'm not sure if they are factory-direct to Australia or operate as an extension of their Malaysian business. They've been active in QLD for many years, I visited their store also around year 2000 and dealt happily with Noel Loganathan.

1996 - probably should mention TRAIN TRADER (Peter) 15 Waterloo Street, Narrabeen NSW - that price list is 28 pages, and a mix of New and Used but certainly doesn't list the full range nor things like accessories, track etc.

I seem to recall they may have been "parallel importing", they were certainly active, I visited that store roughly around that time. Any direct connection with Märklin or Agent is unknown but they do refer that the New C-Track is here so they did have access to the current range.

And a couple of their business cards collected along the way. I'm not promoting them in any way, no connection to the business, is it even still running?

z-TrainTrader-Narrabeen.jpg z-TrainTrader-Pymble-Nick&Brent.jpg

And a letter from 1992 re the Marklin Club

z-MarklinClubAu-WahroongaNSW-1992.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Marklinacc52  
#4 Posted : 23 April 2023 06:18:00(UTC)
Marklinacc52

Australia   
Very helpful Information. I will check out other sources if Info.

In the mean time hear is a Brief overview of people I have dealt with over the past 50 years

When we moved to Queensland in 1969 the Hobby shops there did not sell marklin we had to still buy items from Searles in Sydney. Gabba Hobbies had some trains but not much. There was another shop in Brisbane city which stocked Jouef trains and Hornby. I discovered Fred Seiler in 1976 in electrical applicance trade began stocking Marklin items in his Morningside Shop in the 1970s. He move shops to Mt Gravatt. I used to visit him there. He collected a big clientele of marklin fans mostly from clubs in particular the All Gauge Model Railway Club at Morning side. He told me he obtained his supply from Bill Sylvester the importer in Sydney who took over the importing from Email. His friend in the German Club Frank Foldes also imported special Marklin Items for club members on request.

I used to read the Australasian Model railway Magazine and found various retailers who were selling marking including Bill Nosworthy and later Train Trader, Antons trains. I also found Bill Webb Model railways Braemer on the Southern Highlands of NSW.

In Brisbane my brother introduced me to Clive MacTaggart who lived at Ekibin on the South Side of Brisbane. He was an O gauge Collector and was a member of the fledgling HRCAA. He was also a member of the local Model railway clubs. He imported various things mostly models from the USA and UK. He had a wonderful store of items in a small room at the back of his house that was a mecca for model train enthusiasts especially the scratch builders. He said he started importing items for club members and it then became a small business. He stocked some Rivarossi, and Lilliput trains. He also stocked Australian model railway Kits as they came to hand together with bogies and castings. Some narrow gauge items were to be found in his shop as well.

At this time Frank and Klaus Meyer of Traintasia fame also imported some Marklin but mostly the other brands like Lilliput, Rivarossi, Lima, Roco, Faller, Noch, Brawa, Kibri, Vollmer they use to travel all over Australia to promote these brands.

When visiting Melbourne during my time working for Telecom Australia 1975-1987. I often visited the Model Dockyard and checked out their stock of MArklin Items. Hearnes Hobbies as far as I know did not stock Marklin nor do they do so today.

Bill and MArj Webb had a huge mail order business in Braemar On the Southern Highlands of NSW near Bowral. They were the Fleishmann importers. Marj was (she is now deceased) a collector of vintage Fleishmann and had a lovely collection of locos and rolling stock displayed in their showrooms at Braemar. Their Daughter Christine and husband Vic took over the business when they died and it became known as AllAboard and is trading under that name now. The mail order business Bill Webb Model trains was sold to a person in Dubbo.

I am fast coming to an end of my knowledge. Most of the people mentioned I have known over the yyears from 1970- Now and have bought items for my collection of MArklin.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Marklinacc52
Offline cookee_nz  
#5 Posted : 23 April 2023 11:27:40(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Marklinacc52 Go to Quoted Post
Very helpful Information. I will check out other sources if Info.

In the mean time hear is a Brief overview of people I have dealt with over the past 50 years

When we moved to Queensland in 1969 the Hobby shops there did not sell marklin we had to still buy items from Searles in Sydney. Gabba Hobbies had some trains but not much. There was another shop in Brisbane city which stocked Jouef trains and Hornby. I discovered Fred Seiler in 1976 in electrical applicance trade began stocking Marklin items in his Morningside Shop in the 1970s. He move shops to Mt Gravatt. I used to visit him there. He collected a big clientele of marklin fans mostly from clubs in particular the All Gauge Model Railway Club at Morning side. He told me he obtained his supply from Bill Sylvester the importer in Sydney who took over the importing from Email. His friend in the German Club Frank Foldes also imported special Marklin Items for club members on request.

I used to read the Australasian Model railway Magazine and found various retailers who were selling marking including Bill Nosworthy and later Train Trader, Antons trains. I also found Bill Webb Model railways Braemer on the Southern Highlands of NSW.

In Brisbane my brother introduced me to Clive MacTaggart who lived at Ekibin on the South Side of Brisbane. He was an O gauge Collector and was a member of the fledgling HRCAA. He was also a member of the local Model railway clubs. He imported various things mostly models from the USA and UK. He had a wonderful store of items in a small room at the back of his house that was a mecca for model train enthusiasts especially the scratch builders. He said he started importing items for club members and it then became a small business. He stocked some Rivarossi, and Lilliput trains. He also stocked Australian model railway Kits as they came to hand together with bogies and castings. Some narrow gauge items were to be found in his shop as well.

At this time Frank and Klaus Meyer of Traintasia fame also imported some Marklin but mostly the other brands like Lilliput, Rivarossi, Lima, Roco, Faller, Noch, Brawa, Kibri, Vollmer they use to travel all over Australia to promote these brands.

When visiting Melbourne during my time working for Telecom Australia 1975-1987. I often visited the Model Dockyard and checked out their stock of MArklin Items. Hearnes Hobbies as far as I know did not stock Marklin nor do they do so today.

Bill and MArj Webb had a huge mail order business in Braemar On the Southern Highlands of NSW near Bowral. They were the Fleishmann importers. Marj was (she is now deceased) a collector of vintage Fleishmann and had a lovely collection of locos and rolling stock displayed in their showrooms at Braemar. Their Daughter Christine and husband Vic took over the business when they died and it became known as AllAboard and is trading under that name now. The mail order business Bill Webb Model trains was sold to a person in Dubbo.

I am fast coming to an end of my knowledge. Most of the people mentioned I have known over the yyears from 1970- Now and have bought items for my collection of MArklin.

Thanks for that. There was another retailer in Melbourne at Box Hill. Can't recall the name of it just now but I bought a new Primex Set there in the 90's. I seem to recall he was a Märklin dealer. It closed only a few years later.

Cheers
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Toosmall  
#6 Posted : 23 April 2023 14:20:34(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
I am aware of 2 owners for Train Trader as I bought from both. My first purchases were about 1987 as I wrote the details in the cover of the 1986/87 Z gauge catalogue. Also bought quite a bit of Z gauge from the earlier owner (can't remember his name) when he sold to Peter. I think about 1990 to 1992 from memory.

Offline kimballthurlow  
#7 Posted : 24 April 2023 00:11:51(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   

Hi all,
The following has very little or nothing to do with Märklin.
Bill Brown's (his real name) Sports Store in George Street Brisbane (think football, cricket, soccer, golf, hockey etc) was I believe an importer for Fleischmann from the 1950s, until closure (1970s??).
This is the same time span as Clive McTaggarts activity as Austral Modelcraft.
On his death (about 1990) the business was purchased by Ray Nunn and his wife and is still partially active on the south-side of Brisbane.

I guess by Traintasia you mean the model train expo/show at Mermaid Beach on the Gold Coast, Australia.
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Marklinacc52  
#8 Posted : 25 April 2023 08:40:29(UTC)
Marklinacc52

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post

Hi all,
Bill Brown's (his real name) Sports Store in George Street Brisbane (think football, cricket, soccer, golf, hockey etc) was I believe an importer for Fleischmann from the 1950s, until closure (1970s??).
On his death (about 1990) the business was purchased by Ray Nunn and his wife and is still partially active on the south-side of Brisbane.

I guess by Traintasia you mean the model train expo/show at Mermaid Beach on the Gold Coast, Australia.
Kimball

Yes that the Traintasia I mean. I first saw this huge layout at Roselands in Sydney NSW and then at Miranda Fair in Th Sutherland Shire. My Brother and I visited Traintasia display on our way home from Port hacking High School and got acquainted with Klaus Myer. We bought a metal Marklin turntable and 2 two metal round sheds from Klaus as he had just replaced the MPD with a new turntable and plastic roundsheds. The magic of Traintasia were all the operating circuits, trolleybus, chairlift and water features. The automation of trains stopping and starting captured our young minds. Catenary was also evident on part of teh layout for electric locos fitted with pantographs. IT was fabulous. When we visisted it in QLD at mermaid beach its magic never waned.

Offline Marklinacc52  
#9 Posted : 25 April 2023 08:43:41(UTC)
Marklinacc52

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post

Hi all,

Kimball

Yes that the Traintasia I mean. I first saw this huge layout at Roselands in Sydney NSW and then at Miranda Fair in Th Sutherland Shire. My Brother and I visited Traintasia display on our way home from Port hacking High School and got acquainted with Klaus Myer. We bought a metal Marklin turntable and 2 two metal round sheds from Klaus as he had just replaced the MPD with a new turntable and plastic roundsheds. The magic of Traintasia were all the operating circuits, trolleybus, chairlift and water features. The automation of trains stopping and starting captured our young minds. Catenary was also evident on part of teh layout for electric locos fitted with pantographs. IT was fabulous. When we visisted it in QLD at mermaid beach its magic never waned.

By The way are you the Kim Thurlow that I knew in QLD???? I bought a number of railway books from you when you lived in house on the south side of Brisbane. I believe we met in Telecom somewhere.

Offline kimballthurlow  
#10 Posted : 27 April 2023 01:17:35(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
By The way are you the Kim Thurlow that I knew in QLD???? I bought a number of railway books from you when you lived in house on the south side of Brisbane. I believe we met in Telecom somewhere.

Yes that is myself.
I ran a bookshop called The Railway Book Company, and had customers all around the world.
It sort of faded away by about late 1980s - not big enough to make a living.
I will send you a PM.

regards
Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.