Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Pika_HO  
#1 Posted : 11 April 2023 10:01:12(UTC)
Pika_HO

South Africa   
Hello,

I just serviced my dad's loco and found that on the model Rothaus 94133 , where the oiling pockets are, there was a black crumbling sticky muck. I cleaned it everything out, and replaced with rolled oil paper and a drop of Singer oil. The question is were these suppose to be oil sponges (mini foam inserts), that seemed they disintegrated over time?

Also, on the same loco, I noticed the coil magnet windings for the main motor is a dark brown colour - it should be shiny coppery ? It's drawing too much current, why ? It does not smell or anything, heat dissipation is average.

thanks for advice!
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 11 April 2023 12:55:02(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Pika (A first name would be perfect)
Welcome to this great forum.
Here a Märklin fan since many years from France
After a little search, the train set Rothaus 94133, includes a 3031 loco with a special decoration.
Märklin in this model has one or two oil pockets (not sure here) in which a bit of foam is inserted to retain the oil.
I am sure on all my old Märklin locos, this "sponge" is decaying but that's OK as it still retains oil.
My 3032 has no dark coil windings but some other Märklin locos have. This is normal and is caused by the wire's insulating enamel color.
Here is my 3031 after its first digitalization in the 90s
3031 Inside.png

On this one there are 2 lubrication pockets (one on the metal chassis and another on the brushholder

Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 11 April 2023 21:54:32(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
The magnet coil in Jeans loco is a later coil with lighter coloured insulation lacquer. Such lacquer is also likely to be of a type that doesn't need to be scraped off when soldering the wire, but will disintegrate under the heat of molten solder and burn back, allowing the wire to be soldered to.

Much earlier the lacquer used was a lot darker, a very deep brown, approaching black, in colour. This lacquer is much harder, and will not be destroyed by the heat of a soldering iron. The only way to deal with this is to scrape the insulation off with a sharp knife to bare the wire prior to soldering.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline 1borna  
#4 Posted : 16 April 2023 20:46:51(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
Locomotives that come to me for repair often no longer have these sponges to hold the oil. I then put some cotton wool inside, which also does the job well.