Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sforugby  
#1 Posted : 04 April 2023 23:25:34(UTC)
sforugby

United States   
MM_0512_Download - 350x140.pdf (7,608kb) downloaded 126 time(s).

Hi, I have space for a 320cm x 150cm layout (I might be able to go 160cm). I like the design a lot, but it's 350 cm. I think I can shorten it to 320 cm without having grade problems. Also would install decorative catenary (Marklin C track digital operation) and thinking of using the Viesmann tunnel catenary in the tunnels. Finally, I'm trying to figure out if I need to get a power booster (would use a CS3+).

Appreciate any ideas and comments!

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sforugby
Online JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 05 April 2023 00:38:51(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Sforugby (a first name would be just perfect)

A warm welcome to our forum. Here a Märklin HO Digital Rocrail fan from Paris.

Normally Märklin recommends grades not steeper than 3% especially if you like long trains.
I would think only the parade track (Paradestreke) may cause problems with a height difference of 150 cm.
3% would mean that you need 5 m for this grade when you presently have (before shortening) approx. 4 m.
So you may either:
- reduce the height differences a bit (no problem there
- accept to reduce the length of trains (1 m long of so) and use good puller locos (some - few of them - Märklin locos are no so good)

Regarding the overhead, because I had some electric locos I felt compelled to have at least a part of the layout with catenary.
It is really a pain in the neck when a train is stuck (after inactivity).
I also choose not to have pantograph high because in the shadow station it can be very messy.
I experienced that above 3% some of my locos have some pulling issues.
Here is my L-shaped layout on 3 levels with a frames structure (can be dismandled in 3 parts if i need to move.
All Märklin locos and cars, only one CS3 with a 100 W power supply (60101) for my 26 locos on the layout permanently powered

Sorry for being this long
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline rbw993  
#3 Posted : 05 April 2023 02:40:09(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Originally Posted by: sforugby Go to Quoted Post

Hi, I have space for a 320cm x 150cm layout (I might be able to go 160cm). I like the design a lot, but it's 350 cm. I think I can shorten it to 320 cm without having grade problems. Also would install decorative catenary (Marklin C track digital operation) and thinking of using the Viesmann tunnel catenary in the tunnels. Finally, I'm trying to figure out if I need to get a power booster (would use a CS3+).

Could you skew the layout slightly, turn it about 15 degrees clockwise. The table doesn't have to be "square".

Roger
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline sforugby  
#4 Posted : 05 April 2023 04:09:21(UTC)
sforugby

United States   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Sforugby (a first name would be just perfect)

A warm welcome to our forum. Here a Märklin HO Digital Rocrail fan from Paris.

Normally Märklin recommends grades not steeper than 3% especially if you like long trains.
I would think only the parade track (Paradestreke) may cause problems with a height difference of 150 cm.
3% would mean that you need 5 m for this grade when you presently have (before shortening) approx. 4 m.
So you may either:
- reduce the height differences a bit (no problem there
- accept to reduce the length of trains (1 m long of so) and use good puller locos (some - few of them - Märklin locos are no so good)

Regarding the overhead, because I had some electric locos I felt compelled to have at least a part of the layout with catenary.
It is really a pain in the neck when a train is stuck (after inactivity).
I also choose not to have pantograph high because in the shadow station it can be very messy.
I experienced that above 3% some of my locos have some pulling issues.
Here is my L-shaped layout on 3 levels with a frames structure (can be dismandled in 3 parts if i need to move.
All Märklin locos and cars, only one CS3 with a 100 W power supply (60101) for my 26 locos on the layout permanently powered

Sorry for being this long
Cheers
Jean

Thanks Jean - I don't intend to have super long trains and will try to test run it before making anything permanent to see if the grade is a problem

Best, Stan

Offline PeFu  
#5 Posted : 05 April 2023 06:27:59(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Having a 150 cm wide layout like that, for access purposes, it is important that you can walk around the layout?

…and if you can walk around the layout, I kindly suggest to also have a look on this site elaborating on alternatives to the ”standard” rectangle type of layout:

https://www.layoutvision...waste-the-space-on-a-4x8

One of the hidden stations of your PDF layout maybe even could be arranged as a ”visible” station if going for a ”by-the-wall” layout?

I’m sure you would get some nice track plans from fellow forum members, if providing a simple layout room drawing, including measures, doors, windows and other challenges!

Smile
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline marklinist5999  
#6 Posted : 05 April 2023 13:42:41(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Welcome aboard! from the lower southeast Mitten here!
Offline sforugby  
#7 Posted : 05 April 2023 14:43:30(UTC)
sforugby

United States   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Welcome aboard! from the lower southeast Mitten here!

Haha thanks - my wife is from the southwest mitten :)

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sforugby
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 05 April 2023 15:36:06(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: sforugby Go to Quoted Post

I haven't checked out the plan, but one trick when squeezed for space is as track goes up the grade to the top level, anything that it passes over goes down a grade slope to increase the clearance. It often doesn't need to be a big drop in level to get the needed clearance.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Alsterstreek  
#9 Posted : 06 April 2023 13:50:57(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post
Could you skew the layout slightly, turn it about 15 degrees clockwise. The table doesn't have to be "square".

Roger
expanding on that idea: This German seller of pre-fabricated layout modules places the station on a diagonal ridge (surface 130x260 cm):

https://modellbau-mennin...aerklinmagazin062002.gif
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline einotuominen  
#10 Posted : 07 April 2023 17:35:24(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Hi!

I think 320x150 makes it possible to run double track and to have one helix.

What I’ve learned with my 300x100 layout is that double track (folded dogbone) is the number one thing I’d wish to have.

-Eino
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by einotuominen
Offline Toosmall  
#11 Posted : 08 April 2023 01:04:11(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
I'm not familiar with the nuances of HO, but my Z gauge layout is basically a double folded dogbone with integrated spirals.

It's nice if you can in effect have 2 networks, clockwise & anticlockwise.