Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Minok  
#1 Posted : 23 March 2023 21:10:53(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Apologies if this has already been addressed at some time in the past.

I was recently pulling the top off of a loco (powered rail car to be correct), to take some readings of the signal to the motor.
I figured, as it was handy and the simple startup railcar BR 640 (36640) , might as well use that.

Flipping to the back where the diagram is to show how to disassemble, I see the diagram that indicates to remove 3 screws - one each under the wheel trucks and one in the center.

Having removed the 3 screws depicted, I find that the top just will not come off. After much struggle I manage to pull the superstructure off, and discover, crap I should not have pulled so hard as there really were 2 more screws that needed removing.. because the cab ends should have come up with the superstructure.. instead of being still secured to the frame.

I was really puzzled in how the manual with the loco could have made such a mistake. I added the missing info to my manual pages myself, which is now as seen in this photo (the 2 on the ends and the note that there are 5x screws is my addition - the red circles just to highlight in this photo)

IMG_8455.jpg

Just now checking what Maerklin has for the model on its website, I see they have a corrected and updated PDF manual for the loco:

Capture.PNG

This has me thinking, how many other printed manuals that came with locomotives might have the incorrect disassembly instructions with the loco?
Has anyone else encountered these sorts of discrepancies with respect to the instruction manual and what the model really requires?

I don't think I damaged anything, as I got the model back together after futzing around with the headlight/taillight pipes and snapping the cab structures in where they should sit. But it would have irritated me greatly if I'd damaged something.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 23 March 2023 23:30:12(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I always check for all screws on the bottoms. Sometimes they fasten to the frame, sometimes only fasten the skirting/plow or buffer plate. I guess some people have more dimensional thinking, and some see things as obvious, so the manual authors don't always include wehre all the screws are located, just an arrow pointing up from the side.
Sometimes, though, they do even print warnings of delicate parts, and to tak care not to handle a certain way as to break them.
Offline Minok  
#3 Posted : 24 March 2023 02:37:13(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
I always check for all screws on the bottoms. Sometimes they fasten to the frame, sometimes only fasten the skirting/plow or buffer plate. I guess some people have more dimensional thinking, and some see things as obvious, so the manual authors don't always include wehre all the screws are located, just an arrow pointing up from the side.
Sometimes, though, they do even print warnings of delicate parts, and to tak care not to handle a certain way as to break them.

It’s an issue that is amplified because of the just released video from Märklin about thorough cleaning of a steam locomotive. There the guy explicitly pointed out to NOT just remove every screw visible from the bottom because removing the wrong screws can lead to some massive problems.

Märklin cannot have it both ways.

@1:00
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 24 March 2023 07:53:39(UTC)
H0

Märklin made two models of the TRAXX prototype, one with plastic shell (37xxx series) and one with metal shell (36xxx series). The latter has a screw, the former is clipped on.
There is one model with metal shell where the disassembly instructions are for the plastic shell. Instructions tell to spread the shell and pull it off, but the shell is metal and not to be spread and has a screw.
I don't remember which model this is.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline marklinist5999  
#5 Posted : 24 March 2023 13:29:11(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I never remove a screw until I know what it holds on.