Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ivan  
#1 Posted : 22 March 2023 12:48:47(UTC)
Ivan

Germany   
Märklin close coupling incopatibility

I have a few newer locomotives (e.g. 33072) with short couplings 7203 or 70 1630 (image attached).
Unfortunately, they seem to be incompatible with old wagons i.e. with RELEX couplings on them. There is a description elsewhere how to change old couplings with new NEM Schacht on old wagons, but I find utterly inappropriate to ruin original old wagons for the sake of compatibility.
See here:https://www.maerklin.de/fileadmin/media/journal/maerklin-magazin/downloads/Fo.04_05_06_Kurz_gekuppelt.pdf

I was thinking to replace 7203 with RELEX NEM in locomotives, but before doing that I would like to hear your experience with the issue of incopatibility.
In a word, will replacing short coupling with RELEX coupling using the same NEM Schacht solve the problem ?

Thanks

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ivan
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 22 March 2023 13:04:34(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Ivan Go to Quoted Post
In a word, will replacing short coupling with RELEX coupling using the same NEM Schacht solve the problem?
This could lead to new problems, especially with rolling stock that has close coupler guiding mechanism. With pushed trains or downhill slopes, buffer might hook up leading to derailments.

Try it to see if it works for you.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 22 March 2023 13:10:05(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
While the gap between cars or wagons is wider using one Roco hoop, and a Marklin close coupler, they do work, and don't hang up on curves or grades. One minus is that a heavy train can uncouple on a steeper climb.
Offline TrainIride  
#4 Posted : 22 March 2023 14:59:12(UTC)
TrainIride

France   

I have a few newer locomotives (e.g. 33072) with short couplings 7203 or 70 1630 (image attached).
Unfortunately, they seem to be incompatible with old wagons i.e. with RELEX couplings on them. ...

Hi,

I've never had a problem mixing these kind of couplers.
what do you mean by incompatibility?
I have the same kind of locomotive, so if yo can tell me which wagon, I can experiment ...

Best Regards
Joël
Offline Ivan  
#5 Posted : 22 March 2023 16:16:26(UTC)
Ivan

Germany   
Originally Posted by: TrainIride Go to Quoted Post

Unfortunately, they seem to be incompatible with old wagons i.e. with RELEX couplings on them. ...

Hi,

I've never had a problem mixing these kind of couplers.
what do you mean by incompatibility?
I have the same kind of locomotive, so if yo can tell me which wagon, I can experiment ...

Best Regards
Joël

Short coupling is too LOW; when any Wagon approaches if pushed, they simply do not engage.
Instructions manual for locomotive 3504 with Kurzkuplung clearly shows that Märklin H0 Entkopplungsgleis 5112 should be used to attach wagons. Namely, when Entkopplungsgleis 5112 is activated, low position of Kurzkuplung is annulled; it is elevated well enough to accept any RELEX coupling. Somertimes, fine adjustment of RELEX coupling is needed. This way, even 70 years ild Wagons are easily connected to Kurzkuplung. The point is: Entkopplungsgleis 5112 LIFTS, MOVES UPPWARD the mechanism of Kurzkuplung. The only disadvantage is one cannot connect Wagons elsewhere on tracks, but only on 5112, but possibly it was meant to operate like this.
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 22 March 2023 16:35:01(UTC)
H0

Instructions manual for locomotive 3504 with Kurzkuplung clearly shows that Märklin H0 Entkopplungsgleis 5112 should be used to attach wagons.
On that picture I see that 5112 can be used to uncouple trains. I do not see that it can be used or should be used to couple trains. Mind the arrows and consider that image 1 comes before image 2.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Ivan  
#7 Posted : 22 March 2023 16:44:15(UTC)
Ivan

Germany   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Instructions manual for locomotive 3504 with Kurzkuplung clearly shows that Märklin H0 Entkopplungsgleis 5112 should be used to attach wagons.
On that picture I see that 5112 can be used to uncouple trains. I do not see that it can be used or should be used to couple trains. Mind the arrows and consider that image 1 comes before image 2.

You are right about it; I used 5112 to eleveate the short copupling to exactly the level needed to engage any relex coupling and it worked.
Thank you.

Offline Minok  
#8 Posted : 23 March 2023 21:36:56(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I still think there is something lost in translation here.

The older relex couplings on the cars should engage with the locomotives close coupling (Kurzkupplung) just fine if everything is adjusted correctly, on ANY straight section of track.
You should not need the decoupler mechanism to connect the relex and kk couplings.

It is possible the old relex couplings are out of specification, is it not? That they are sitting too high? There is a coupling height gauge (kupplingslehre) 7001 that can be used to check these things I think.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Ivan  
#9 Posted : 23 March 2023 21:50:38(UTC)
Ivan

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
I still think there is something lost in translation here.

The older relex couplings on the cars should engage with the locomotives close coupling (Kurzkupplung) just fine if everything is adjusted correctly, on ANY straight section of track.
You should not need the decoupler mechanism to connect the relex and kk couplings.

It is possible the old relex couplings are out of specification, is it not? That they are sitting too high? There is a coupling height gauge (kupplingslehre) 7001 that can be used to check these things I think.

Your observation is spot-on. Short couplings DO engage even with 70 years old relex couplings on condition they are well adjusted and being very old they are often distorted and bent. Careful adjustment is needed, though. Thanks.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Ivan