Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline WelshMatt  
#1 Posted : 29 January 2009 12:48:53(UTC)
WelshMatt

I've been having problems with locos getting stuck on the 24994 contact tracks while reversing - it seems that the switch lever lifts the slider off the rails when the loco stops and goes to reverse. Does anyone know if the tracks in the 24995 pack work in the same way or if they have a different method of making the contact?

Matt from Wales.

When you pay Range Rover prices, don't accept Lada quality
Offline frankie  
#2 Posted : 29 January 2009 13:06:59(UTC)
frankie

Actually there is no need to buy the 24995 contact tracks, you can do it yourself, by cutting the metal contact underneath the roadbed, that that connects both tracks to the brown.
We spoke about it many times, there should be a link somewhere in the forum itself.
Alessandro
I have a CS1 Reloaded!
Offline WelshMatt  
#3 Posted : 29 January 2009 14:34:55(UTC)
WelshMatt

Thanks Alessandro - I may replace the 24994s with 24094s modified in that way. I assume that the idea is to have the contact made by the axles of the train?

The 24994s are part of a 6600-controlled end to end line for old analogue locos that I don't want to convert to digital. At both ends I have one to activate braking, then another to signal the 6600 to stop and reverse the train. I'd plan to keep the braking ones but swap the reversing ones.
Matt from Wales.

Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 29 January 2009 15:30:09(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Matt,
I'm a bit confused between a 24994 (Switchingtrack) and a 24995 (set of contact tracks)
In your message you said that, by reversing your loco, your locos are getting stuck and the slider lifts.
the 24995 has no switching lever, so your problem you're having with the 24994 switchingtack should have no related problems to this matter.
Your switch lever should be free to slide to the left or right side.
The construction of this assembly is somewhat floored.
a.) the 2 connecting pin plates that hold the lever do come loose.
b.) the whole switching assembly does not level even with the bottom track bed, so any preasure applied to the switch lever could release the 2 pin plates and distort the function of sliding sideways.
It is also annoying, when imbedding the c-track and than you have to undue all your work to push in the 2 pin plates again. What I've doe pushed a small piece of paper underneath the circuitboard so the assembly is flat with the bottom track bed, this prevents it from dropping down, so to say.
Mind you they are a big improvemnets from the k - switchingtracks, they have micro switches attached to them, although the spring effect of returning to its original position is'nt that great.
Coming back to the 2 completely different track variants, they have different roles for either activating or switching other solenoids or k83, k 84 components = S88 modules.

The 24995 come in a set of two, which are usually placed between 2 turnouts, one on either side.
this prevents, when activated via a S88 module, an other train to enter this particular track, while the track is occupied by AC metal wheels.
Using analog, the track itself (24995-29094)should than be as short as possible, if used for activating a switching function.
this functionmethod is ok, solong your AC metal axles are not sitting on that particular track section for a longer period of time. It could burn out what ever solenoids you have attached to it, unless the have an end cutoff power.
How do you activate braking with analog locos ? Do you deminish the power over a certain lenght of track ?

This can be done by yourself as explained above and it only has to be done on one side.

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline WelshMatt  
#5 Posted : 29 January 2009 15:41:37(UTC)
WelshMatt

Thanks again - I have just tried the modifications on a spare length of C track and it works.

The problem with the 24994 seemed to be that the loco would hit the switch lever, triggering it to stop. When it then tried to reverse it would pull the lever back, thereby lifting the slider off the stud contacts.

I'm not sure how the 6600 handles braking, I just know that I connect the contact tracks to an input on the box and it sorts it out. It's intended to allow you to have intermediate stations on an end to end line but I used the input to provide some braking rather than having trains run full speed into the final contact track and then suddenly reverse.

In the unlikely event of the £ ever recovering on the world markets I'll probably replace the 6600 with a 6023, 6050 or 6051, and make the whole thing computer controlled. Unfortunately with the exchange rates as they are I can't afford to even think about this!
Matt from Wales.

Offline WelshMatt  
#6 Posted : 06 March 2009 17:50:25(UTC)
WelshMatt

Well after some months I've had to go back to the 24994s. Something to do with how the modified normal track is somewhat unreliable unless you use a heavy model to ensure a good contact. A 327/1 coach propelled by a 3029 isn't heavy enough to trip it every time, cue loco grinding against the buffers until I send out another reversing pulse by hand!
Matt from Wales.

Offline dntower85  
#7 Posted : 06 March 2009 18:39:33(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Matt,

24994s
Does the Loc go passed the switch lever far enough that the slider clears the lever? or does it instantly change direction. If the slider is on the lever at the time the loc changes direction you might try putting a small amount of dielectric grease on the tip of the lever this might allow the leaver to slide on the slider instead of catching and lifting up the slider.
The dielectric grease wont harm anything in fact I have had to use some around the lever to keep it from snapping back and triggering the contact for the other direction. I have mine conneceted to an s88 and it has triggered a false direction.
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline WelshMatt  
#8 Posted : 06 March 2009 20:20:40(UTC)
WelshMatt

The loco changes direction immediately, so I think the slider is getting lifted up by the lever. If I ever manage to afford to go to a computer controlled setup I assume I'd be able to write the program so it has a short delay between the lever being tripped and the loco reversing, which would solve the problem.

It ran happily for about an hour after I put the 24994 back.
Matt from Wales.