Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Alex H  
#1 Posted : 20 March 2023 17:21:36(UTC)
Alex H

United Kingdom   
Hi.

I have been given some Marklin Donnerbüchse coaches for my birthday, and I would like to install lighting into them and I understand that I will need a Marklin 73300 lighting kit for each passenger coach.

In order to get power to the lights, I also believe that I will need to add a Marklin 73301 pick-up set for each coach. This would supply independent power to each coach from the rails I believe

I see that Marklin also do a 72023 Current-Conducting Operating Close Coupler. I am assuming that this would supply the power to the coaches from the locomotive. Would this remove the need for the pick up sets?

If so, does anyone have any experience of which option would be better and most realistic?

Many thanks

Alex
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 20 March 2023 18:18:30(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Happy birthday.

Originally Posted by: Alex H Go to Quoted Post
I am assuming that this would supply the power to the coaches from the locomotive. Would this remove the need for the pick up sets?
You have both options with power conducting couplers: Use one coach with centre-rail pickup or take the power from the loco. Either way you do not need a pickup shoe for every coach.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Alex H  
#3 Posted : 20 March 2023 18:27:39(UTC)
Alex H

United Kingdom   
Hi

Thanks HO. I assumed that you would need a pick up set for each coach. How does the power get to the other coaches?

Alex
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#4 Posted : 20 March 2023 18:48:25(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
The current-conducting close coupler set 72023 can be used to carry current between cars.

As I found these sets expensive, I installed let strips soldered to E115737 current-conducting close couplers, so I only needed one pick-up shoe for the entire train of five cars.
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Martti Mäntylä
Offline David Dewar  
#5 Posted : 20 March 2023 23:39:50(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I have three of these coaches and fitted the 73300 and 73301 to each. They run well with no flicker. They can run with any loco without the need of a current conducting coupler from the loco. If you have more than three or four then maybe conducting couplers would be the way to go. I have very little drag from the pick ups.

Edited by user 21 March 2023 12:04:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar