Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Poll Question : What British items would you prefer?
Choice Votes Statistics
  Total 33 100%
Guests can't see poll choices and poll results. Try login or register. Guests can't vote. Try login or register.
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline danmarklinman  
#1 Posted : 18 March 2023 22:02:21(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
As the flying Scotsman has sold out as a AC model. I wondered if Marklin would be inspired to make another British locomotive, or coaches. In the past some interest has been about a Garret locomotive being part of a Marklin line up. Wouldn’t it be nice if there was an LNER Garret locomotive as a stable mate to their A3!!!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/28083135@N06/30452899847
https://thetransportlibr...log/N/S/2/0/NS207069.jpg
This would make a very impressive model and of course with some goods wagons!!
But what would be wanted in the form of coaches?

LNER coaches https://www.flickr.com/p...os/train-pix/48959209647

BR mk1 https://www.gcrailway.co...2021/10/5007-300x225.jpg

Pullman coaches https://www.instantbreak...ullman-train-trips-s.jpg

Or indeed an A4 locomotive as https://yorkmix.com/wp-c...-pacific-museum-york.jpg
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline bph  
#2 Posted : 18 March 2023 23:32:49(UTC)
bph

Norway   
yes please ;)

And perhaps Flying Scotsman or a different A3, in blue?
60072_e.jpg

but anyway some propper coaches is also high on the wish list.
eg something like this:
2FS-t.jpg
FS_train-t.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline kimballthurlow  
#3 Posted : 19 March 2023 00:56:46(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hello Dan,

To attract a collector following world-wide (in my humble opinion), the only well-known British locomotive would be the LNER A4.
Probably best in the 1938 double chimney, blue and skirts when it achieved the supposed speed record.

But because the record can be controversial it may be a bit of a dud.
I doubt any other British loco has the same recognition.
Going on the buying reaction with Märklin Flying Scotsman, the coaches don't matter at all.
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline danmarklinman  
#4 Posted : 19 March 2023 09:45:48(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Hi, yes an A4 would be brilliant and in any livery. Br experimental blue would lovely. But the mallard or silver fox would be perfect in my book. The Pullman coaches would be perfect for a Marklin production. As it they go with both A3 and A4 locomotives 👍
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
Offline IanC  
#5 Posted : 19 March 2023 14:09:45(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
Mallard has sufficient international recognition to attract a Marklin collectors market but beyond that and variations of that and the Scotsman and their siblings and different liveries and eras, I think you would struggle. Coronation streamliners, BoB / West Country 'Spam Cans' perhaps but unlikely. Diminishing returns.

IanC
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by IanC
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 19 March 2023 14:13:08(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Hello Dan,

To attract a collector following world-wide (in my humble opinion), the only well-known British locomotive would be the LNER A4.
Probably best in the 1938 double chimney, blue and skirts when it achieved the supposed speed record.

But because the record can be controversial it may be a bit of a dud.
I doubt any other British loco has the same recognition.
Going on the buying reaction with Märklin Flying Scotsman, the coaches don't matter at all.
Kimball

I could imagine them doing an A4, as there are six currently in existence, I could see the Dwight D Eisenhower being popular in the USA. I would imagine the first one would be Mallard, but with the other ones around I think there could be one a year for five or so years, especially if they get a suitable coach set to go with them.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline mbarreto  
#7 Posted : 19 March 2023 16:30:26(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

I would like the A4. I prefer a darker blue than the Mallard.
I also would like the Duchess of Hamilton in a non streamlined version.
Of course coaches for these locomotives too, but only if the locomotives are produced.
I am not interested in any other UK locomotive that is not one of those for now.

Some US famous steamers probably will for sure catch my interest.

Regards,
Miguel
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline kimballthurlow  
#8 Posted : 19 March 2023 23:46:19(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
I could imagine them doing an A4, as there are six currently in existence, I could see the Dwight D Eisenhower being popular in the USA. I would imagine the first one would be Mallard, but with the other ones around I think there could be one a year for five or so years, especially if they get a suitable coach set to go with them.

Hi Alan,
Yes interesting thought.

Dwight D Eisenhower was built in September 1937, so maybe a 90 year edition could be marketed in 2027.
If they decorated it as it exists today it would be modelled with the double chimney fitted sometime in 1957/1958.

Then in 2028 with the necessary change to the skirting, they could do the 90 year anniversary of double-chimney Mallard as a record-breaker in the LNER blue colouring.
Only 4 of the 35 A4 locos were built with double chimneys in 1938, then the other 31 modified in 1957/58.

Lastly the tenders might be different.
The Märklin model of Flying Scotsman is supplied with a corridor tender.
Mallard had a non-corridor tender when put into service in March 1938 and I am not sure what Dwight D Eisenhower has now.

On another line of thinking, the Dwight D Eisenhower locomotive model may not be so popular in Germany.
But a record-breaker twin-set Mallard and the DRG BR05 might be popular.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline bph  
#9 Posted : 21 March 2023 19:59:22(UTC)
bph

Norway   

On another line of thinking, the Dwight D Eisenhower locomotive model may not be so popular in Germany.

Kimball

I think you are probably right, and it might be something similar with a model of the A4 Mallard, because of the speed record controversy. but then I'm not German and I don't know how Marklin sees this and how they calculate sales. But I noticed that it was several Germans who did not believe the Flying Scotsman would sell......

in adidtion to a A4 and a LNER U1 Garratt, a model of the P2 and/or the 9F could also be nice....Cool
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline danmarklinman  
#10 Posted : 25 March 2023 10:42:48(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post

Kimball

I think you are probably right, and it might be something similar with a model of the A4 Mallard, because of the speed record controversy. but then I'm not German and I don't know how Marklin sees this and how they calculate sales. But I noticed that it was several Germans who did not believe the Flying Scotsman would sell......

in adidtion to a A4 and a LNER U1 Garratt, a model of the P2 and/or the 9F could also be nice....Cool

A 9f would be very nice. 2-10-0 are always impressive. But if you think of how many you would sell and what market you are after, one of the 2-10-0 austerity W&D locomotives would be a better bet. As the Netherlands state railway NS took a lot of these into traffic after the war. One actually resides in Utrecht railway museum. Marklin has an important sales area for the Netherlands and it has not yet produced a non Ex German loco in its range. So why not do one of these👍
http://www.modelrailroad...2%20history/DSC08600.jpg

https://treinposities.nl...ebeffc4e857b3aeb37d0.jpg

And in service in the U.K.
https://images.hattons.c...4943.jpg?v=080422-140336
https://www.warwickshire.../catesbytunnel/gcct1.jpg
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
Offline bph  
#11 Posted : 30 June 2023 16:56:24(UTC)
bph

Norway   
One model Märklin could easily make is a British class 66, eg the 66 Evening Star

and even better a double set of both Evening Star ;)
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline Paul59  
#12 Posted : 30 June 2023 17:27:39(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
I have often thought it would be nice if they did the EM2 electrics from the old Woodhead Route. After closure of most of the route these were sold to the Dutch and classified as NS class 1500. Marklin do several NS classes but not this one (unless I've missed it).
It strikes me as a worthwhile addition since the same model in different liveries could be used to represent both the UK version and the NS version.
Marklin HO using M track. Now reverted to analogue as I find it has more character - and I understand it!
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Paul59
Offline kimballthurlow  
#13 Posted : 03 July 2023 07:08:55(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Paul59 Go to Quoted Post
I have often thought it would be nice if they did the EM2 electrics from the old Woodhead Route. After closure of most of the route these were sold to the Dutch and classified as NS class 1500. Marklin do several NS classes but not this one (unless I've missed it).
It strikes me as a worthwhile addition since the same model in different liveries could be used to represent both the UK version and the NS version.

And danmarklinman pointed out that a few the British Austerity 2-10-0 also ended up in the Netherlands in NS livery.
As did the British 08 diesel shunter (although there were subtle variations), which can be produced in about 31 different liveries including that of the NS.
Photo originally post by Philip (PJMärklin) in the "Count with train pictures" topic.
UserPostedImage
Image taken on September 30, 2015 by Frans Berkelaar

Kimball
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline 60904  
#14 Posted : 14 July 2023 16:55:13(UTC)

Germany   
They could also do the NS Class 1500, a former British Rail EM2 or Class 77.
Greetings
Martin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 60904
bph
Offline 60904  
#15 Posted : 14 July 2023 16:56:54(UTC)

Germany   
They could also do the electric NS Class 1500, a former British Rail EM2 or Class 77. But always remember the 1:87 scale is no good for the British market as they prefer 1:76.
Greetings
Martin
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 60904
Offline Michael4  
#16 Posted : 14 July 2023 23:32:12(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
It seems to me that the Stanier Black Five brings tears to the eyes of more aficionados than many others...
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline steventrain  
#17 Posted : 26 August 2023 14:19:21(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I guess Marklin can do next project Class A4 Mallard but not yet until the year 2038 to mark 100 years of Mallard.

Maybe Gaugemaster asking Marklin about limited edition commission A3 Flying scotsman in LNER apple green or other black or blue livery with any names/running numbers.

Lets wait and see.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by steventrain