Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MegaExo  
#1 Posted : 14 March 2023 18:58:43(UTC)
MegaExo

Finland   
Good day!
I was looking for signals to my Marklin digital layout, and I spotted the Marklin new signals with decoder are pretty expensive. I saw those Marklin start-up signals for about 20 euros, but realised I don't wanna buy a m84 decoder for 100 euros. I also Googled can I connect them to Digital layout, but I need an infrared receiver, and I can get only from those Marklin toy sets, and for that controlling I also need a start-up control box, Then I saw a used old Marklin analog signal 7039 on sale in Finland, only for about 20 euros. I was really excited, now I can get a signal with a lower price. I checked from the official Marklin website what I need to control those signals. I read I need 7272 or 72720 control box.
Can I somehow connect the 72720 to the MS2?

Another question:
If I can't use the MS2 to the old analog Marklin signals, could I use those Viessmann signals on Marklin digital? There is a Finnish retailer, that sells those Viessmann signals for about 16-116 euros. If somebody knows, how to connect them to Marklin digital layout, or how to connect the Viessmann 5550 to Marklin, if 5550 control box is needed to control them, or can I use the MS2 to control Viessmann signals.

Best regards, MegaExo

Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#2 Posted : 14 March 2023 19:25:37(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
To control these old-style signals digitally, you can use k83 decoders such as Märklin's 6083 (old-style plugs) or 60830 (new-style plugs) or the more recent m83 decoders. I use them to control my 7039's and turnouts.
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Martti Mäntylä
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 14 March 2023 20:34:42(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi XX (A first name would be great)

Welcome to this great forum.
Originally Posted by: MegaExo Go to Quoted Post

I was looking for signals to my Marklin digital layout, and I spotted the Marklin new signals with decoder are pretty expensive. I saw those Marklin start-up signals for about 20 euros, but realised I don't wanna buy a m84 decoder for 100 euros. I also Googled can I connect them to Digital layout, but I need an infrared receiver, and I can get only from those Marklin toy sets, and for that controlling I also need a start-up control box, Then I saw a used old Marklin analog signal 7039 on sale in Finland, only for about 20 euros. I was really excited, now I can get a signal with a lower price. I checked from the official Marklin website what I need to control those signals. I read I need 7272 or 72720 control box.
Can I somehow connect the 72720 to the MS2?

The price for those is not 100 € but around 65€ (agreed, already expensive but cost is distributed for 4 signals).

They are sophisticated and you may plug into them the less expensive start-up signals like the 74391, 74380 and 74371.

Doing so, you have signals that may be used in digital or analog mode.

In digital mode, to drive accessories (signals) you MUST use at least an MS2 control and its track box and power supply
An infrared control and its special IR track and power supply are cheaper but DO NOT control digital accessories and are only found in startup boxes.

Analog Märklin signals like the 7039 can be used in analog (even if you train is digital) but only MANUALLY (from its control box (72720) and separate PSU 16 VAC.
Alternately, you may connect such a signal to an M83 (60832) to make it digital.

No you can't connect the 72720 to ANY digital unit like the MS2

Another question:
If I can't use the MS2 to the old analog Marklin signals, could I use those Viessmann signals on Marklin digital? There is a Finnish retailer, that sells those Viessmann signals for about 16-116 euros. If somebody knows, how to connect them to Marklin digital layout, or how to connect the Viessmann 5550 to Marklin, if 5550 control box is needed to control them, or can I use the MS2 to control Viessmann signals.

Yes you may use digital Viessmann signals using MM2 (Motorola) or DCC protocol (a MS2 can both)
Basically a Viessmann DIGITAL signal has four wires:
- Red and Brown for the digital input
- blue circled red and blue circled green to be connected to either the Red or the Brown during the adress acquisition phase

These signals may also be used in analog mode using a 72720 analog control
Other Viessmann are analog with LEDs like the 4011 and you may drive them using an M84 relay unit , a command box 72720

Attention Some Viessmann signals are MULTIPLEXED = You CAN'T use them without the Viessmann multiplxer. (5223). Such a signal is the 4013 exit signal

You can use DIGITAL Viessmann signals with an MS2, such as the 4530

Cheers
Jean
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline rbonet  
#4 Posted : 14 March 2023 23:01:00(UTC)
rbonet

Spain   
Hi all.
I use Digikeijs DR4018 to control my old Märklin semaphores and 24997 uncouplers. I've 27 semaphores, 3 uncouplers and 5 DR4018's.
A DR4018 feature I like is that each decoder can drive 8 two aspect semaphores.
Digikeijs stuff can be bougth directly in their web shop: https://www.digikeijs.com/en/
Regards,
Rafael
Collecting Era I, II & III, mainly German, French & Spanish RR, some USA
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by rbonet
Offline MegaExo  
#5 Posted : 15 March 2023 06:42:24(UTC)
MegaExo

Finland   
Originally Posted by: Martti Mäntylä Go to Quoted Post
To control these old-style signals digitally, you can use k83 decoders such as Märklin's 6083 (old-style plugs) or 60830 (new-style plugs) or the more recent m83 decoders. I use them to control my 7039's and turnouts.

Good day!
Thanks for answer. I maybe buy that 6083 and those old signals. Will it work, if I connect the decoder to C-track with Marklin 74995 spade connectors, and then with those colorful plugs I connect the signals to the decoder? The MS2 "keyboard" has the numbers, like 1/2 or 3/4. It tells what signal is currently operated. The k83
has not numbers in the holes for the plugs, how I know what is the signal number 1 or signal number 2? K83_decoder.jpg In the lower left corner, under the "Decoder K 83" text there is two holes, are they for the incoming currency? If they are for the incoming currency, can I divert the currency from the C-track to those holes?

Cheers, MegaExo
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#6 Posted : 15 March 2023 17:23:46(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   

Will it work, if I connect the decoder to C-track with Marklin 74995 spade connectors, and then with those colorful plugs I connect the signals to the decoder?

Yes.

The MS2 "keyboard" has the numbers, like 1/2 or 3/4. It tells what signal is currently operated. The k83
has not numbers in the holes for the plugs, how I know what is the signal number 1 or signal number 2?

The addresses are set by DIP switches inside the decoder, see the manual for details. This defines a range of four consecutive addresses 1-4, 5-8, ..., 253-256. The lowest number in the range is the one under the "decoder k83" text in your picture.

In the lower left corner, under the "Decoder K 83" text there is two holes, are they for the incoming currency? If they are for the incoming currency, can I divert the currency from the C-track to those holes?

Yes. To connect the signal to C tracks, it is most convenient to use the plug connects on the short sides of the signal (ground and track power in/out).
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1