Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline BillMNYC  
#1 Posted : 13 March 2023 17:20:49(UTC)
BillMNYC

United States   
I've read the previous posts on this and I think I understand them but wanted to confirm. I inherited a lot of 70s/80s Marklin rolling stock which have Relex couplers. I've also purchased some newer Marlin locomotives which have close couplers. They don't couple well together mostly because of the height difference.

I've considered a few options:
1. Replace all the old rolling stock couplers with close couplers
2. Replace all the locomotive couplers with Roco Universal Couplers
3. Adjust the heights of the couplers to make them match as much as possible

It seems to me that option #2 is the best idea since it involves the least work. Are there any issues with that approach?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BillMNYC
Offline cintrans  
#2 Posted : 13 March 2023 17:29:20(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Bill
What i do is take one wagon and put a relex coupler on one side and a short coupler on the other end, works fine to couple different rolling stock in a stam...

Regards

Jean-Pierre
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by cintrans
Offline Alsterstreek  
#3 Posted : 13 March 2023 17:58:53(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: BillMNYC Go to Quoted Post
I mixed and mingled freight cars without any issues. In other words, # 3 worked for me.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 13 March 2023 18:02:16(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Bill
Originally Posted by: BillMNYC Go to Quoted Post
I've considered a few options:
1. Replace all the old rolling stock couplers with close couplers
2. Replace all the locomotive couplers with Roco Universal Couplers

Certainly, option 1 is the best because of the reliability of recent {Märklin}close couplers:
- they dont uncouple by accident
- they work extrely well in pushing operations
- they don't interfere with buffers.

Option 2 Roco universal couplers: they are very good in theory but very fragile (plastic open loop). I don't recommend them.

Option 3 Adjust the height of the couplers:
- only possible on older, metal couplers. Yes you can improve the functioning there but NEVER to reach the precision of modern couplings AND cars.
- the compatibility between Relex and close coupling is very limited. Old Telex are NOT compatible with new couplers.

On my layout, I had to sort the cars the following way (personal choice)
- better close coupling cinematic Some coupling cinematic may be hanging with an improper height
- sort a minimum of rolling qualities (even sometimes new cars don't roll smoothly) Not all Märklin axles are the same even on recent cars (15 years or less)
- file the Märklin CC metal buckle so that it does not collide with its counterpart (resulting in coupling failure) but escapes upwards or downwards

Here is the result of my work
On decoupling

On coupling

The videos above are made with automatic operation (It MUST work every time)

Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 13 March 2023 19:40:25(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Option 2 Roco universal couplers: they are very good in theory but very fragile (plastic open loop). I don't recommend them.
Well, an "open loop" is rather a claw than a loop.
At least it is made of metal. The couplers last well for me and in my experience they are not really fragile. Roco Short Couplers are more fragile.

For rolling stock with NEM pockets, I usually install Roco Universal coupler. A mix of Roco Universal and Märklin Short Couplers works well for me.
I do not mix Relex couplers with short couplers of any type.
I got Märklin 7205 for many Märklin cars with plastic Relex couplers. I don't have a solution for the old stuff with all-metal Relex couplers.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline hxmiesa  
#6 Posted : 14 March 2023 12:52:12(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
I mix all kinds of couplers.

As I buy a lot of rolling stock 2nd hand (Ebay and physical shops), I have a collection of almost all kinds of couplers.
For passenger trains, of which there is little change in composition, I usually use Roco and Fleischmann close-couplings.
With many I use Märklin current conducting couplers or drawbars.
For freight I have changed most modern Märklin Relex to the 7205 type, -but generally do not have any problem mixing Märklin short couplers and Relex together.
With ancient Märklin metal-Relex I dont do anything at all. (If anything, I´m trying to phase them out of my collection)
If there are problems with buffer-heights, I might resort to the Roco Universal coupling or even the old style A-coupler.
If I am putting together a freight train that I dont expect to break up soon, I try insert NOT-KKK-capable units in between units with KKK (Kurz Kuplung Kulisse), as this seems to be just about tolerable aestethically, compared to 2 NON-KKK units coupled together.

Old style Märklin Telex can still be used, once you Dremel off the "horns" on the side of the coupler.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline Mark5  
#7 Posted : 21 March 2023 20:19:59(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Guessing by "short" you mean "close".
Didn't we once post a visual/picture guide with numbers to couplers?
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
I mix all kinds of couplers.
..... Roco and Fleischmann close-couplings.
..... Märklin current conducting couplers or drawbars.
......modern Märklin Relex to the 7205 type,
..... Märklin short couplers and Relex together.
..... ancient Märklin metal-Relex
..... Roco Universal coupling or even the old style A-coupler.
..... NOT-KKK-capable units in between units with KKK (Kurz Kuplung Kulisse)

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline mbarreto  
#8 Posted : 21 March 2023 20:37:57(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

I like Märklin new close couplers and until now they are working ok for me, although I have very few...

Roco Universal couplers work well when connected to other Roco Universal couplers. I don't like them connected to Märklin old close couplers.
When I want really short coupling and I don't usually think in decouple, I use Fleischman close couplers. They don't decouple well with the
Märklin uncoupling track and that is why I use them only when I don't expect to decouple. The coupling is not smooth also.
Roco close couplers are very fragile and I don't use them at all.
A wagon with old relex in one side and the newer type you use on the other side is a simple and efficient way to mix both types.

Miguel

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline mike c  
#9 Posted : 21 March 2023 21:06:25(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The biggest concern for me is that older material with metal couplers that are connected to the wheels will come into contact with the newer material which has current conducting couplers (live).
As far as mixing newer and older models, you can get couplers that have varied length shafts, so you can find the right length to minimize the space between cars. Roco, Fleischmann and other close couplers are not compatible with others. Maerklin's close coupler (both new and old) and Roco's Universal coupler can be used with either similar close couplers or with the traditional Maerklin coupling.
They are not compatible with other close couplers.

Combining cars with close coupling with cars that do not will decrease the spacing between cars.

Some older models (e.g. the 24cm metal coaches) and other freight cars can be retrofitted with mechanisms from Roco or Sigg-Simoba.

Due to scale variations, I normally try to run trains of older stock by themselves and not mixed with newer material.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline hxmiesa  
#10 Posted : 22 March 2023 10:37:53(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post
Guessing by "short" you mean "close".

Yes, I do. I think the correct english term is "Close", but...

It´s funny how it is "Close" in english, because for me the german "Kurz" would be "Short". English "Close" would be "Nah" in german¿? -But they are not "NahKupplungen".

Not being a native speaker of neither english NOR german, the logical expression for me is that "Kurz" is "Kort" (in danish), which would again be "Short" in english... LOL
(Even in spanish it is "Corto", so why are the english speaking off track here?)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline marklinist5999  
#11 Posted : 22 March 2023 11:36:52(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Close, but not too close!!😄
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999