Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Drongo  
#1 Posted : 02 February 2023 10:33:39(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
I have posted my turntable to Marklin twice and both times my parcel arrives in Germany and then it's sent back to me. Does anyone know the reason ?

Australia Post don't have any idea why. Is Marklin not receiving parcels at the moment ?

Regards

Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline Bryan  
#2 Posted : 02 February 2023 12:03:29(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Hi Greg

Yes, I have just had a parcel returned from Marklin as well. If you study the documentation, it basically states something about import duty and I expect Marklin are not prepared to pay it. The sent items that have got through, were warranty items discussed previously with the service department. Maybe they were prepared to pay it. Your turntable should be under warranty though.

I used the HS code of 9801, warranty return, this did not help.

Also maybe there has been a change in the import rules, as it has only recently that there has been this problem.

It is not only Marklin that is doing this. I was talking to a member of the Sydney Marklin club.He returned a Marklin loco under warranty to a shop in Germany, and it was also sent back. He said, the only way to get it through customs is to declare it is worth nothing.

regards
David
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bryan
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 02 February 2023 12:06:42(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Greg

Märklin certainly is not stopping incoming repairs but it is a busy time because of the NürnbergerSpielwaren Messe.
Repairs shoul be sent to

Gebr. Märklin & Cie. GmbH
Reparaturservice
Stuttgarter Str. 55-57
D-73033 Göppingen

Germany

Tel.: 0049 (0) 7161 608222
Fax: 0049 (0) 7161 608225
E-Mail: service@maerklin.de

and with a filled (completed) repair order
https://www.maerklin.de/...sendebeleg_Ma__rklin.pdf

Cheers
Jean
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 02 February 2023 13:35:57(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Could they have been on holidays ?
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline David Dewar  
#5 Posted : 02 February 2023 14:48:28(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Why not send to the dealer. Maybe different in other countries but in theUk the dealer is responsible for a warranty in the first year and after this any decent dealer will still handle the repair. We have a sale of goods act which should be quoted to any dealer asking for the Marklin model to be sent direct to Marklin.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 02 February 2023 15:55:43(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
When shipping back to Maerklin, you need to complete the following paperwork:
https://www.maerklin.de/...sendebeleg_Ma__rklin.pdf

It is also recommended that the invoice and parcel be labelled as follows:

Contents:
Model Trains - Warranty Repair
Trains Miniatures - Reparation
Modellbahn - Reparatur

If German customs does not have the information, they may submit a request for duty and MWSt (VAT) from the receiver, which could lead to Maerklin refusing the delivery

It does not help that the international language of the UPU (Universal Postal Union) is French, but many of the customs officials attached to the Import Processing Centres may only speak the local language and maybe English

I hope that this helps.

Regards,

Mike C
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Toosmall  
#7 Posted : 02 February 2023 18:23:22(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
We have give up sending presents to relatives (children) in Germany as postage costs from Australia is extortion at the very least.

The last thing you want is trying to send things multiple times.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline Bryan  
#8 Posted : 02 February 2023 22:13:03(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Dear All

Below is what appeared added at return on a recent repair, sent to Marklin.
It has been Google translated into English.
Quite obviously an import duty problem.

I will add the bits Mlke C suggested, good points, thank you.

Best regards
David

Waren, die nicht die vorausetzungen der artikel und 29 des vertrags uber die arbeitsweise der europaischen union erfullen.

Goods that do not meet the requirements of Articles and 29 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union

Als im freien Verkehr eines Mitgliedstaats befindlich gelten diejenigen Waren aus dritten Ländern, für die in dem betreffenden Mitgliedstaat die Einfuhrförmlichkeiten erfüllt sowie die vorgeschriebenen Zölle und Abgaben gleicher Wirkung erhoben und nicht ganz oder teilweise rückvergütet worden sind.

Goods from third countries are deemed to be in free circulation in a Member State for which the import formalities have been completed in the Member State concerned and the prescribed customs duties and charges having equivalent effect have been levied and have not been reimbursed in whole or in part.

Die Union umfasst eine Zollunion, die sich auf den gesamten Warenaustausch erstreckt; sie umfasst das Verbot, zwischen den Mitgliedstaaten Ein- und Ausfuhrzölle und Abgaben gleicher Wirkung zu erheben, sowie die Einführung eines Gemeinsamen Zolltarifs gegenüber dritten Ländern.

The Union comprises a customs union covering all exchanges of goods; it includes the ban on levying import and export duties and charges having equivalent effect between the Member States and the introduction of a Common Customs Tariff vis-à-vis third countries.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bryan
Offline applor  
#9 Posted : 04 February 2023 04:40:02(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Hi Greg,

It's not just Marklin, I have had difficulties returning items back to the dealer.

I have been told that the packages get delivered to German customs who sign for it (as delivered) but they have the package not the recipient and it's then up to customs to contact the person to collect it (or they're meant to) and then after the 4 weeks no collection period (or whatever it is) they just send it back.

The first time, I kept hassling both Auspost and the dealer to try and deliver/collect the package. I think Auspost via German customs were saying they contacted the dealer to collect, the dealer said they received no such request.
I had to push with Auspost to have German customs not return the package to me... eventually the dealer says he has the package. That was 2017. It was a big package so a relief he finally got it.

The second time which just happened this month I had the exact same problem, though just for 1 small item, then next thing I know it's being sent back to me and I have it here againCursing
Complete waste of time and money. I am under the impression the dealer was not contacted to collect it.

The process is just terrible and you have to badger all parties continuously to get any result...
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline Drongo  
#10 Posted : 04 February 2023 07:09:24(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Thanks for the information fellas.

I have booked an appointment with the German consulate here in Sydney on9th March 2023. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of this problem. I'll keep you posted if I get any news.
Regards
Greg
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline Drongo  
#11 Posted : 09 March 2023 06:06:17(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the information fellas.

I have booked an appointment with the German consulate here in Sydney on9th March 2023. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of this problem. I'll keep you posted if I get any news.
Regards
Greg

I made my appointment with the German embassy here in Sydney today, and as I expected, they didn't want to know anything about my problem. I tried to explain that German government is responsible for the German Post and German customs - still they didn't care, so I guess it was a waste of time. So I decided to send an email to Frank Mayer the service department's manager, and to my surprise, he is no longer employed at Marklin. Does anyone know why he has left the company ?

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline river6109  
#12 Posted : 09 March 2023 08:51:11(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
I've onced returned an item to ESU but luckely enough they've paid what ever they had to pay for but they advised me to put a value of no more than A$ 5.00 onto the item and since than it worked fine., I also once returned an item with my business name and you had to fill in a proper form, when you bought thenitem, invoice etc etc., so this was the last tiem I used my business name

John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline kimballthurlow  
#13 Posted : 09 March 2023 23:28:16(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   

..... I decided to send an email to Frank Mayer the service department's manager, and to my surprise, he is no longer employed at Marklin. Does anyone know why he has left the company ?

Hi Greg,
Well that is a rigmarole ...
But thanks for eliciting all that useful information about returning items to Europe. Phew!!
And thanks to all the contributors in this topic.

On the other note Frank Mayer's leaving the company is a bit of a blow.
I always found him responsive, articulate and helpful.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline river6109  
#14 Posted : 10 March 2023 09:37:36(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post

..... I decided to send an email to Frank Mayer the service department's manager, and to my surprise, he is no longer employed at Marklin. Does anyone know why he has left the company ?

Hi Greg,
But thanks for eliciting all that useful information about returning items to Europe. Phew!!

Kimball

I think he would have been retiring age a long time ago, epecially with German or Austrian retiring ages but being a private firm he may staid on longer, I do return faulty sound decoders to Germany (ESU) under guarantee and send them as a letter with a declaration and pay A$ 3.70 postage, its a risk taking but so far all the letters have arrived at ESU without any trouble., sending it as a parcel would cost heaps more although its only less than 20g., the postoffice do not except it so I just put it in the letter box and no one queeries it.

John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline bph  
#15 Posted : 19 June 2023 14:25:59(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post

Hi Greg,

Kimball

It seems like the rumors saying Frank Mayer is no longer employed by Marklin, are "fake news". He is still very much there and responds to customer inquiries.
but he might have been sick or did take some leave etc, and the rumor mill started.......
Offline eduard71  
#16 Posted : 19 June 2023 16:02:44(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
Hi,
I have always send returned items for repair to Germany with a 1 to 50 euro max value with no problem in customs. If you put more you will be subject to customs payments.
Probably there is a special form to inform that the item was exported from Germany to the country that is returning the item in order to avoid this problem but without it customs will just ask Marklin for customs payment and they will not accept to pay.
On the other side, Marklin should advise their customers and dealers about the correct process to return items under warranty.

Regards

Eduardo
Offline mike c  
#17 Posted : 20 June 2023 17:55:49(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Please read my post #6 at the top of this page.

Returns to Maerklin need to be labelled as such.

The language of the UPU (Universal Postal Union) is French
English is also common in Post Office use
It is handy to include German as not every Postal Worker necessarily speaks English or French.

For that reason, I always include the notation:

Model Trains Warranty Repair (Or Just Repair)
Trains Miniatures (Reparation sous Garantie)
Modelleisenbahn (Reparatur)

It is also helpful to provide the Country of Origin (if available)
(Product of/Produit de/Hergestellt in)

I also add the notation Goods previously exported from Germany/Marchandises vénant de l'Allemagne/Wäre aus Deutschland Exportiert

This information can help the Postal/Customs authorities determine that the contents should not be subject to duties or taxes.
It can also help to include a copy of the original invoice with the package with the marking (Rétour/Return/Rückversand) on it

Regards

Mike C
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline BenP  
#18 Posted : 21 June 2023 20:07:01(UTC)
BenP

United States   
Late last month I mailed my cs3for repair, which took 18 days to be delivered once it arrived in Germany (from US). The post office told me about custom's paperwork, which is reason I could not complete package mailing from home. Cost $60 to get it there. Now waiting on repair info and, hopefully, warranty coverage.
Ben
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BenP
Offline marklinist5999  
#19 Posted : 22 June 2023 15:29:31(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yikes Ben! I wonder how much ups would ship for? I know insurance costs more.