Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Vic  
#1 Posted : 04 March 2023 13:26:16(UTC)
Vic

Spain   
Hi.

I have a c-track h0 setup coming from a Märklin 29166 start up kit which included an IR controller ref 253391.

After that came a BR55 37550 (I intend to upgrade to another decoder when I fell more confident, but that is for another topic), and an Ae 3/6 II ref. 37514.

I could control all of the them with the 36VA power supply and the IR controller, but it only has 4 function-buttons + lights.

In order to solve that, the next step was the acquisition of a second hand ms2 Trix branded 66950 + Märklin 60113 digital connector box. Now with a simple track design with no electric accesories on track, only 3 locos and passive wagons, that setup runs fairy well with the same 36VA power supply.

2 weeks ago I received a Trix branded BR 185/Traxx 2 ref:22656 as a birthday present, but since then I could not get it no be seen by the ms2.

At first I thought the ms2 I purchased was defective, so it was sent to the technical service to have it checked and upgrade the firmware to the latest version, 3.148.

The loco is not seen by the IR controller either.

The ms2 sees the Ae 3/6 II as mfx blinking in the screen. I thought it would be the same with the 185/Traxx 2, but mfx, dcc or MM search from the ms2, even the manually configuration with the factory settings achieves nothing. It simply stays on the track and does nothing. I checked the dual supply (power coming from tracks or pantograph) and it stays firmly in the right position.

I have checked the big capacitor inside the digital connector box, and correctly measures 4700 microfarads. There are no signs of corrosion.

At this point I have neither ideas nor enough experience to solve this, so if you could lend me a hand, that would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards.

Víctor.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 04 March 2023 13:37:38(UTC)
H0

Without a centre-rail slider the Trix 22656 cannot run on Märklin track. Does it have a slider? Did you try it on Trix tracks?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Vic  
#3 Posted : 04 March 2023 13:46:13(UTC)
Vic

Spain   
Thank you for your reply.

I only have Märklin tracks.

traxx01.jpg

It does not have a slider... can I buy and install one?

EDIT: Ok, I have read more topics in the forum, and it seems it needs a separate 2 rail ring in the circuit, or a non trivial conversion of the loco, so i think i will return it and try to find the märklin 3 rails model.

Thank you again.

What a rookie mistake LOL
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 05 March 2023 19:17:04(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
It is not too complicated to convert a Trix DC Traxx to 3 Rail. It takes a little rewiring and the slider just clips on to the underside of the bogie.
If the model has a Trix decoder, you may have to replace it with a different one.

I had a SBB and a Crossrail BR 185 (22631 ad 22636) which I converted via shell swap with Maerklin Traxx (37446) that I found on sale.
I was then able to sell the 37446 with the DC chassis to make back most of the money that it cost me

Regards

Mike C
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 06 March 2023 08:40:04(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
It is not too complicated to convert a Trix DC Traxx to 3 Rail. It takes a little rewiring and the slider just clips on to the underside of the bogie.
If you want to do it like Märklin do, get a bronze plate as spare part to make a contact for the centre-rail slider. It is also possible to solder the wire directly to the bronze spring of the slider.
Some of the locos I converted already had a tunnel for the centre-rail wire, with some I had to drill a hole.
Swap three or four wires inside the loco, not really complicated.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Vic  
#6 Posted : 06 March 2023 11:53:56(UTC)
Vic

Spain   
Thank you for the suggestions, but at this point I have returned it and plan to replace it with the Maerklin branded variant. As it was a new loco, I trust the wiring from factory more than mine... at least for now. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Vic
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 07 March 2023 19:24:39(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
If you want to do it like Märklin do, get a bronze plate as spare part to make a contact for the centre-rail slider. It is also possible to solder the wire directly to the bronze spring of the slider.
Some of the locos I converted already had a tunnel for the centre-rail wire, with some I had to drill a hole.

The Trix Traxx (not Hobby) has slots for the slider to clip in and the slider comes with the wire which can be slotted into the hole in the bogie.

Regards

Mike C

Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 07 March 2023 19:30:51(UTC)
H0

The Trix Traxx (not Hobby) has slots for the slider to clip in and the slider comes with the wire which can be slotted into the hole in the bogie.
When I made my conversions, the slider came without cable and the loco came without bronze plate.
E206370 is the standard slider without cable.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Vic  
#9 Posted : 12 March 2023 20:01:15(UTC)
Vic

Spain   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Regards

Mike C

Hello Mike.

Could you point out in the photo I uploaded where should be the slot for the slider?

If I get a Trix Traxx again in a mid-term future when my knowledge is enough (lots of assumptions tbh LOL), I might try to do the conversion...

Regards

Víctor.

Offline mike c  
#10 Posted : 12 March 2023 20:59:29(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
https://www.maerklin.de/...&artikelnummer=37446

You can see how part 19 clips into the 4 slots on the underside of part 18

Some models might have a base plate with a wire lead to it. Others require a wire to be soldered on to the slider directly

The slider part number is E206370

I was going to do this conversion to my 22631 and 22636 before I found a pair of 37446 on sale and did the shell swap.
For the price I paid, I got the slider, a sound decoder from the factory for the price of an ESU Loksound plus sliders and then I made some of the money back by selling the DC chassis with the 37446 shell, which was not available in DC, allowing somebody to have a second locomotive number other than the 22631.

Regards

Mike C