Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline luckas  
#1 Posted : 10 June 2022 17:06:17(UTC)
luckas

Hello,

I have a modest Marklin CS3 layout controlled using software (iTrain).

I'd finally like to add some 'cosmetic' signals but can't seem to find any information on what is required (hardware wise) and how the signals are wired. Most of the information on the internet pertains to using signals to control movement, with contacts, decoders, braking modules etc. I already have this functionality - so I just want to add the 'cosmetics' of correctly displaying signals.

I'm using contact tracks via S88, with blocks between all turnouts. Initially I thought I'd experiment with a signal in one of my station areas, displaying the status of the next block, but I'm open to suggestions on what might be a more interesting first basic signal.

Any information gratefully received.

Paul
Offline pederbc  
#2 Posted : 10 June 2022 18:31:07(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Hi Paul,

I use Traincontroller, but I guess that iTrain is handling signals within the block handling. I only connect the signals as regular dcc accessories (2 wires to the track) and set the address in Traincontroller and add them to respective block. Traincontroller then take care of setting the correct aspect. I suppose iTrain handles it similary. I use semafores from Märklin and Viessmann and led signals from a Swedish hobbystore.

Good luck with the project!, Peder
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by pederbc
Offline luckas  
#3 Posted : 11 June 2022 03:25:20(UTC)
luckas

Thanks Peder, that makes sense. Yes, I believe iTrain will take care of setting the correct aspect once it's set up in software.

It has been a few months since I last had time to spend on my layout, so I had temporarily forgotten some of the basics - in this case just setting the signal up as a regular digital accessory.

Much appreciated,

Paul
Offline PeFu  
#4 Posted : 11 June 2022 08:35:32(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
If you are OK with simple 2 aspect signals (simply only shifting from ”red” to ”green” and vice versa), this decoder can manage 8 such signals:

https://www.ldt-infocent...ight-signal-decoder-8x2/

I use signals from Schneider, they come without individual decoders. I find them pretty price-worthy:

https://schneider-feinwerktechnik.de/

Smile

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 11 June 2022 11:39:03(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Paul
Rocrail user here but iTrain is probably very similar in principles.
How do you drive signals hardwarewise? Simply by adding a decoder to your signal. I use M83 (60832) but there are many others with ESU or with Viessmann.
How do you drive software wise? Each block, for each direction (+ or -) has a signal tab where you insert the digital address of the 2 position signals.

For more complex signals, the principle is the same (using more than one digital output per signal, but rather 2 or 3). Software wise, you need to create actions that may usually be linked to routes (from block A to block B). The action may also include a speed command to drive the loco at a different speed depending on the track works to be crossed.

Here is an example of a multi-position signal associated with variable speeds, etc

I hope this helps
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline luckas  
#6 Posted : 11 June 2022 13:54:44(UTC)
luckas

Thanks all. It's starting to make sense again. The alternative signals and decoders look interesting too.

Much appreciated,

Paul
Offline nzrailfan  
#7 Posted : 11 June 2022 20:43:43(UTC)
nzrailfan

New Zealand   
Traincontroller user but I use the Viessmann signals switched with ESU switchpilot in K84 mode , I find signals are more realistic when placed out side of the blocks and then logically programmed. I'm sure I Train will have the same capabilities. In T/C the empty trigger is the default aspect (red in my case) then the logical trigger to switch green i.e Block 1 is green , route 1 -2 is active , Block 2 is free (not occupied) and say Contact track 1 is off so as soon as the train leaves block 1 and turns contact track 1 on the signal then turns red giving a realistic visual experience. The trick with T/C to add as many logical triggers for the green aspect is to add the first group as a "I" then the rest as "and's" unsure how I Train does it but there must be something similar in the set up. When the signal is placed inside the block your programming options are limited that is why in my opinion you are better to place them outside the blocks.
Offline pederbc  
#8 Posted : 11 June 2022 21:09:23(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
I agree fully with the previous post. TC allows for very realistic signaling. I hope you have the same experience with the competitive softwares :-)

Peder
Offline Mark5  
#9 Posted : 09 August 2022 02:36:50(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post
If you are OK with simple 2 aspect signals (simply only shifting from ”red” to ”green” and vice versa), this decoder can manage 8 such signals:

I use signals from Schneider, they come without individual decoders. I find them pretty price-worthy:

Smile

Hello Pefu,
These are remarkably good looking signals considering their price!

Do they come with motors as well? I could not see on their website.
Also do you think they could be adapted to servos?

Impressed how many manufacturers of Modeleisenbahn that Germany has been able to sustain.

- Mark

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline PeFu  
#10 Posted : 11 August 2022 06:18:39(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post

Smile

Hello Pefu,
These are remarkably good looking signals considering their price!

Do they come with motors as well? I could not see on their website.
Also do you think they could be adapted to servos?

Impressed how many manufacturers of Modeleisenbahn that Germany has been able to sustain.

- Mark

I guess you are interested in their semaphore signals (Flügelsignale), as you mention servos? Unfortunately, I only have experience on Schneider’s light signals, where only a decoder is required, and no motor/servo. I guess you could send them a question by e-mail.

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline einotuominen  
#11 Posted : 07 February 2023 15:35:03(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Rocrail user here too, but I also have signals for cosmetic reasons only and they are not that prototypical. Here's how I do it:

- Two aspect signals, red and green driven with M84 decoder

- Signals default in red

- When a loco selects a Route (Rocrail term. iTrain propably has something similar), in addition of setting turnouts, I have added turning the signal aspect to green as well.

So all signals are red all the time, except when a route is selected, then the signal that plays the role of main signal (these are not prototypical) will switch to green. Rocrail has an option to switch it back to red, when the loco is in the target block of the route.

So turn signals to red/green the same way you switch turnouts in automatic operation.

-Eino