Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rockyrap1  
#1 Posted : 03 February 2023 18:52:38(UTC)
Rockyrap1

United States   
I just purchased a mint 37055 steam loco and it is not included in the mobile station database. 37059 is but that doesn’t help me any. I selected it on the off-chance it might work. No such luck.

I also performed the find loco function…no luck there either.

Any ideas of how to get this baby up and running?

A little background. I just got back into the hobby after being away from it for about 15 years or so. I began with Marklin in the early 1980s and built up a large selection of analog locomotives, including steamers, electric, and a couple of period switching diesels (all era ll, lll, lV)
I was lucky enough to have had enough space to construct a 30x6 foot layout but had to tear it down when I moved to a new home. Beginning around 2005 I began collecting digital steamers for display.

I also retained all of my analog collection of locos, rolling stock, enough K-track, switches, transformers to construct another sizeable layout. Much of it has never been run, or run very little.

Several home moves later I decided to get back into the hobby, but at a much smaller scale and I’m in the process of building a 4x9 layout in a spare bedroom. I purchased a Marklin starter C Track set, extra track, switch es, etc., as the quickest and easiest way to get up and running.

All my digital locos work fine except for the 37055. The shop I bought it from stated it was a running example in excellent condition. It has all the original boxes and documentation. I just can’t get the darned thing entered into the mobile station to run it.
Thanks.
Offline mvd71  
#2 Posted : 03 February 2023 18:59:32(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
As an mfx loco it should automatically register. If not you can do a manual set up if you know the address. Factory is likely to be 59, but I couldn’t say for sure.
Offline rhfil  
#3 Posted : 03 February 2023 19:29:05(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Mine has address 15 but that might be the address selected by the handshake. I am not familiar enough with mobile stations to offer any help with a solution. Is there someone with a CS 3 nearby?
Offline rhfil  
#4 Posted : 03 February 2023 19:31:12(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Mine has address 15 but that might be the address selected by the handshake. I am not familiar enough with mobile stations to offer any help with a solution. Is there someone with a CS 3 nearby? Has you mobile station been updated?
Offline Rockyrap1  
#5 Posted : 03 February 2023 20:42:08(UTC)
Rockyrap1

United States   
Thanks. I’ve been thinking about adding a second mobile station. I assume it would be a newer version than what was included in the starter set. They’re pretty inexpensive anyway. Haven’t thought about a Central Station for such a small layout. Maybe I should investigate that further, especially if I want to control more than one train at a time without causing a disaster.
I appreciate the feedback
Offline rhfil  
#6 Posted : 03 February 2023 20:51:51(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
I and every one i know who has one love my CS3. Worth the money for the benefits and options it provides. Difficulty right now is finding one,
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline marklinist5999  
#7 Posted : 04 February 2023 15:05:37(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Having so mnay models with many functions, setting up my MS2 icons for each would be time consuming, and the small screen isn't optimal. Much easier on the CS3.
Offline Alsterstreek  
#8 Posted : 04 February 2023 18:27:17(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Rockyrap1 Go to Quoted Post
I just can’t get the darned thing entered into the mobile station to run it.
Do you have a Mobile Station 1 or a Mobile Station 2? Not sure about the older MS1, but with a MS2 the decoder address can be read and alternatively be overwritten.
Offline Rockyrap1  
#9 Posted : 04 February 2023 20:30:14(UTC)
Rockyrap1

United States   
I have the Mobile Station 2 that came with the starter set. I can pick up a new one from a shop in Germany for $85.
I can also reserve a CS3+ for $715 or a CS3 for $580 but I’m not sure of a delivery date as they don’t have it in stock.
Not many available in the U.S., although I did find a CS3+ for a bit over $900. It looks like I would also have to purchase a power pack suitable for the USA.
I assume both the U.S. and German versions of the mobile stations are the same.

Or, I could just use the 37055 as a display model in the engine shed and futz around with it later. Everything else runs fine. Digital turnouts work great, etc. just need to purchase an M83 for the uncoupler tracks and maybe a second MS2. Seems like the most cost-effective way to go.
Opinions anyone?
Offline Rockyrap1  
#10 Posted : 04 February 2023 21:15:35(UTC)
Rockyrap1

United States   
By the way, I’m currently running a 37112, a 37554, a 3796, a 37030, a Big Boy Insider for when I get the urge for something a bit different, a 3609, and the steamer that came with the starter set.
I may have a shop convert my 3315 croc and another steamer or two for digital operation. The last time they were run would have been in the mid 1980s.

Dumb question…if I have two MS2s, am I then able to program 22 locomotives rather than just the 11? I would almost think so.

Sorry to be so long-winded.
Thanks for your replies.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 04 February 2023 21:46:02(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Dumb question…if I have two MS2s, am I then able to program 22 locomotives rather than just the 11?

No, the lowest serial number one becomes the master that contains the database, and the higher serial numbered ones refer to that database. Bit as you are talking of only 11 locos then you should get your ms2 updated to the latest revision firmware as that gives 40 locos to select from.

Also your problem could well be related to the low revision level of the ms2, as there have been significant fixes over the years to various problems related to running mfx locos.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline rbw993  
#12 Posted : 04 February 2023 21:48:11(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Why 11? The manual says on page 4 that it can handle 40 active locomotives.

Roger
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline marklinist5999  
#13 Posted : 04 February 2023 22:10:59(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Rocky, AJC Kids in Witchita Falls Texas hos both the CS3, and Plus in stock @ $640, and $800 each. Mr. Guy there is extremely helpful and knowledgable! Belle is also very personable and helpful with orders and such. I got mine from them in 2021 with the power pack in 3 to 4 days UPS ground std. shipping. Anytime I emailed with a question, or problem, Guy replied with help!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline rhfil  
#14 Posted : 04 February 2023 22:56:45(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Marklin support is great - here, AJC, YouTube, Marklindudes. If they can't solve your problem no one can.
Offline Alsterstreek  
#15 Posted : 04 February 2023 23:11:09(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
I have the Mobile Station 2 that came with the starter set. I can pick up a new one from a shop in Germany for $85.
I can also reserve a CS3+ for $715 or a CS3 for $580 but I’m not sure of a delivery date as they don’t have it in stock.
Not many available in the U.S., although I did find a CS3+ for a bit over $900. It looks like I would also have to purchase a power pack suitable for the USA.

Or, I could just use the 37055 as a display model in the engine shed and futz around with it later. Everything else runs fine. Digital turnouts work great, etc. just need to purchase an M83 for the uncoupler tracks and maybe a second MS2. Seems like the most cost-effective way to go.
Opinions anyone?
Easy, easy, no need to purchase another MS2 or a CS. Obviously, your MS2 is working fine. Thus, the focus has to be on the loco itself. Did you try a manual selection? If not, the process is as follows:

Remove all other locomotives form the track. Switch on the MS2. Press simultaneously the keys "shift" & "locomotive". Then open "database" (in German: "aus Datenbank"). Subsequently scroll down to 37055 and select the article. This works only if the address set at the factory has not been changed.

(Thus if the loco does not respond, the decoder address had been changed. If you know the "new" address, you can overwrite it in the MS2.)
Offline kiwiAlan  
#16 Posted : 04 February 2023 23:12:42(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post
Why 11? The manual says on page 4 that it can handle 40 active locomotives.

Roger

Only if the software revision is 3.55 or later - hence my piece above, and why I know he needs to update the ms2 software.

Offline kiwiAlan  
#17 Posted : 04 February 2023 23:16:43(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post

Opinions anyone?
Easy, easy, no need to purchase another MS2 or a CS. Obviously, your MS2 is working fine. Thus, the focus has to be on the loco itself. Did you try a manual selection?

Process:
Remove all other locomotives form the track. Switch on the MS2. Press simultaneously the keys "shift" & "locomotive". Then open "database" (in German: "aus Datenbank"). Subsequently scroll down to 37055 and select the article. This works only if the address set at the factory has not been changed.

(Thus if the loco does not respond, the decoder address had been changed. If you know the "new" address, you can overwrite it in the MS2.)

That will not work as the 37055 is not in the database as it is an mfx loco. However the ms2 with early versions of software also have problems with later versions of mfx locos - hence my recommendation to upgrade the software.

Offline Alsterstreek  
#18 Posted : 05 February 2023 01:02:08(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
That will not work as the 37055 is not in the database as it is an mfx loco. However the ms2 with early versions of software also have problems with later versions of mfx locos - hence my recommendation to upgrade the software.
But even without upgrading the MS2, the loco could be entered in the MS2 via option "manual setting" (German: "manuelles Anlegen") instead of "database", if the address set in the 37055 loco was known? The decoder address set in the factory is mentioned in the 37055 manual...
Offline kiwiAlan  
#19 Posted : 05 February 2023 15:00:13(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
But even without upgrading the MS2, the loco could be entered in the MS2 via option "manual setting" (German: "manuelles Anlegen") instead of "database", if the address set in the 37055 loco was known? The decoder address set in the factory is mentioned in the 37055 manual...

Could be quite a lengthy procedure though.
1. turn off mfx mode in the ms2.
2. turn off mfx mode in the decoder.
3. install the loco manually on the ms2, and check it works.
4. turn on mfx mode in the ms2 to allow any other mfx locos already installed to work, and check they still work OK.
5. check the 37055 still works as manually installed.

Quite frankly for roughly a weeks turnaround mailing the ms2 to a shop or another member (assuming either are in the same country) to get it updated is a much simpler procedure.
Offline Rockyrap1  
#20 Posted : 06 February 2023 08:39:30(UTC)
Rockyrap1

United States   
Problem solved! Going to call AJC Kids and see what they recommend. I’ve worked with them before and was happy with them.
My MS2 appears to be version 3.55 or higher according to the manual that came with the starter set 29074.
I’m leaning towards a CS3 with the appropriate power supply.
It’s probably more than I need, but I’d rather have too much than not enough.

Thanks to everyone for your input. It is much appreciated.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Rockyrap1
Offline rhfil  
#21 Posted : 06 February 2023 19:03:02(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
According to the Marklindudes the current software update for the MS2 is 3.148. Not sure how that relates to yours
Offline H0  
#22 Posted : 06 February 2023 21:08:08(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: rhfil Go to Quoted Post
According to the Marklindudes the current software update for the MS2 is 3.148. Not sure how that relates to yours
3.148 is higher than 3.55.
But I think there are no significant changes when using the MS2 stand-alone without CS3.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0