Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Purellum  
#1 Posted : 28 January 2023 22:00:38(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Hi guys.

As some of you know I mostly have 1-gauge Märklin, and a few years ago I also build a waggon with batteries etc.
to allow me to run "Dead rail" = running the trains without power coming from the tracks BigGrin

The system is very much home made, in a way quite simple; but at the same time in a way quite complex BigGrin

Just now, when writing this and trying to find a link to my description, I realize that I've never made a topic describing
what and how I did it; but at least the train can be seen here: https://www.marklin-user...aning-machine#post593289

A few more details can be seen here:

And here:

The "master plan" then were to make a system that would work on original Märklin decoders using Märklin Motorola; you can buy several
dead rail systems; but they all require DCC decoders in the locomotives, and I didn't want to exchange all my existing decoders BigGrin

Now, with the new 60667 MS2 coming from Märklin, I got this idea, maybe not the cheapest solution; but something that is quite easy
to do, and only using more or less "plug and play" standard parts from Märklin - and you can easily mount the parts and remove them again as needed :

Inside one of the bigger locomotives, you mount a 60112, 60113, 60114 or 60116 Digital Connector Box.

You also mount a 18V Dewalt / Milwaukee / etc. battery to supply power to the Digital Connector Box.

The original power pick up wires in the loco, which normally takes power from the tracks, are re-routed
to take power directly from the Digital Connector Box.

Then a 60117 WLAN receiver box, also mounted in the loco, is connected to the 60112, 60113, 60114 or 60116 Digital Connector Box.

And now you can control your loco from a 60667 WLAN MS2 on any layout without power coming from the tracks,
using all of the existing functions available on the originally installed decoder, no matter which protocol it's using BigGrin

A lot of smaller details could be interesting / needed, e.g. if running on a layout with live steam locomotives, you might need to disconnect
the original power pickup wires in the loco, since live steam locomotives usually makes a short on the tracks.

It could also be an idea to mount 60112, 60113, 60114 or 60116 Digital Connector Box + battery + 60117 WLAN receiver in a separate
wagon, to make it easy to take the parts out and use them elsewhere; then you just need 2 wires going from wagon to loco.

This has to be tested when 60667 and 60117 are available BigGrin

Per.

P.S: The next idea, which probably should have it's own topic, and surely requires someone smarter than me, is to make an APP connecting
a smartphone directly to a 60117, making it possible to control the locomotives directly, without the need for a 60667 MS2............ BigGrin

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 28 January 2023 23:42:18(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I would try using the IR transmitter and receiver from the H0 start sets. The IR receiver with a battery in a loco would be a reasonably small installation, although it wouldn't work out in the sun.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Purellum  
#3 Posted : 29 January 2023 01:14:35(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
I would try using the IR transmitter and receiver from the H0 start sets. The IR receiver with a battery in a loco would be a reasonably small installation, although it wouldn't work out in the sun.

I've done that, and most garden layouts are in the sun BigGrin

Also, I expect the current needed for a large 1-gauge loco would be more than the receiver can handle; even though I haven't
tested the receiver to it's limits ( Which I can't find documented anywhere ).

However, I have found a way to supply DC directly to the decoders, basically after the rectifier in the decoder, and the digital signal before
the rectifier in the decoder; which means I only need a few mA digital signal, and that part works fine BigGrin

The downside is that the IR system can only handle 4 functions + lights.

The system you can see in the videos above is actually made this way, the IR transmitter and receiver sits next to each other in the closed wagon,
and the I have relays to "push the buttons" on the transmitter; this way the sun can not disturb, and I have more than 50m. range on the cheap
433MHZ transmitter / receiver system.

The whole idea of my idea above was to use something that I expect to already have, once it's available from Märklin, and then as plug-and-play
install it either next to a layout or inside a locomotive / wagon, depending on where I'm running my trains BigGrin

A friend of mine, David, has what I believe is the biggest garden layout in Denmark, build for live steam, so no power in the tracks and I think about
400 meters of track, so we need long range remote control.

A video from the opening day of my friends garden layout:

Per.

P.S: The loco and wagon showed above was actually build for David's layout, to drive a track cleaning device, why "the system"
also have a relay-controlled power outlet, to power a rotating brush ( Illustrated by the lamp turning on/off in one of the videos above ) BigGrin

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum