Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Alex H  
#1 Posted : 24 January 2023 21:35:17(UTC)
Alex H

United Kingdom   
Hi
I am about to start planning the wiring on my DCC layout using Marklin C track

I have decided not to run a bus around the layout and use droppers - at my age crawling under layouts is not an option. I was intending to run each track power back to a central distribution near the front of the layout that I can access easily.

I was wondering how many track power points I should add, is there a recommendation. I looked on the Marklin site but couldn't seen anything

Thanks

Alex

Offline rbw993  
#2 Posted : 24 January 2023 22:37:42(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
The answer depends on what your layout configuration is; how big and how the tracks are situated over the layout.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline revmox  
#3 Posted : 24 January 2023 22:44:17(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
Hi Alex,

I also couldn't find much guidance. I agree about climbing under layouts. I think you will get lots of opinions on the best way to go.

Looking at it from the point of view of someone with an electronics and computing background, but no model railway knowledge, I decided to go with a simple rule/guess - no part of the track should be more than about 3 metres from a feed point. That gives 5 feed points on my modest layout.

I bring all the feed wires back to a common distribution box that has plugs and sockets. I've also mounted a LED on the feedbox to quickly confirm for me that the distribution box itself is getting power from the controller.

I can check if each feed point and its wiring are working by connecting them one at the time. I've found that the layout works OK'ish with just one of any of the five feed points in use.

So there you go - probably gross overkill - but that's what I did - hope it helps.

Cheers,

Mark
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 25 January 2023 00:29:09(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Alex
Originally Posted by: Alex H Go to Quoted Post
Hi
I am about to start planning the wiring on my DCC layout using Marklin C track

I have decided not to run a bus around the layout and use droppers - at my age crawling under layouts is not an option. I was intending to run each track power back to a central distribution near the front of the layout that I can access easily.

I was wondering how many track power points I should add, is there a recommendation. I looked on the Marklin site but couldn't seen anything

Märklin C track does not require ANY SPECIAL WIRING to use DCC.
The difficulty is to use Märklin C track with 2-rails engines and wagons. This is very very difficult on small radius turn-outs

How many track power points? On a small layout 2 square meters 4 at the properlocations (any track piece is less than 10 tracks away from the track power points.
For short-circuit easy detection, each section should be insulated (only the B part)

If you want to minimize wiring, my advice is:
- to use a software like Rocrail to makes possible to avoid any stop sections. Only detections are needed.
- to divide your layout in 2 meter sections for the "B" signal with minimum 0.75 mm² section

Another solution is to use this method with NO underneath wiring

IMO following this method could be a step backwards compared with Märklin's approach (DCC or MFX) with occupancy detection, etc

Here is my Märklin C track layout in 3 rails with a CS3, PC control and DCC, MFX and MM2 protocols allowed. Only ONE CS3 with a 100 Watt power supply for 26 MFX-Sound locos and many lighted trains. No bulbs, only LEDs, avoid using smoke units on steamers.

Cheers
Jean
Offline revmox  
#5 Posted : 25 January 2023 02:40:05(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
Great layout Jean, very impressive!

I thought Alex was simply asking about the number of track power feed points. The additional requirements to facilitate full computer automation might be a related but separate question.

After years of electronics, computing and industrial control I much prefer to now keep it all old school - hands on and simple. I'd much rather be part of the experience and drive the trains myself than poke around in code for hours to get some computer to be able to do it when I'm not even in the room. But to each their own ...

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by revmox
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 25 January 2023 08:04:51(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Alex H Go to Quoted Post
Märklin recommend a maximum distance of 2 to 3 metres between feeder points.
PDF (in German), see page 5:
https://www.maerklin.de/...faq/Technik-Tipp-201.pdf

Many posts on this forum recommend feeder points at 1 to 1.5 metres.
Add enough feeders before you glue and ballast the tracks, so make enough test runs with demanding trains that consume much power.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Copenhagen  
#7 Posted : 25 January 2023 09:56:44(UTC)
Copenhagen

Marklin also talks about adding feeder wire under the C track for about every 2 meters. So that you 2 meters from where the track box is connected you connect a double wire with 2 spade connectors to the track and run it 2 meters further away. If the layout is circular adding feeder wires in the opposite direction will already have you cover 12 meters of track.
You can then add more feeder wires 2 meters further away from where the last feeder wire ends etc. The C track provides good electric connectivity so that in a small to medium sized layout only a few feeders, or maybe none at all, are needed.
Offline Alex H  
#8 Posted : 25 January 2023 19:08:48(UTC)
Alex H

United Kingdom   
Thanks everyone for your useful comments

My layout is about 2.7m x 2.2m and is essentially three closed routes 11m, 10m, and 8m of track in total. There is also about 13m of sidings.

I am hoping to be able to do as Copenhagen suggests and route the power cables on each loop under the loop tracks, at approx 1.5/2m intervals; and so end up with just three feeds at my distribution board. I think I can also connect the sidings onto a single supply.

Can anyone tell me if its feasible to run the point motor cables under the track in addition to the power supply, or is there not sufficient space?

Once again, thanks to all for your help and suggestions

Alex
Offline rbw993  
#9 Posted : 25 January 2023 19:50:35(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
You shouldn't need power cables if you use the under track switch decoders (Marklin 74462). The manual for Marklin decoders says it does recognize DCC.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline nhumps  
#10 Posted : 25 January 2023 20:04:11(UTC)
nhumps

New Zealand   
I think you will run out of room quickly after the power drops are running under the track pieces. There may be sufficient space for 1 or 2 depending on wire gauge but it may well be an exercise in frustration too!

Depending on how many points and therefore budget the suggested switch decoders 74462 are a very suitable and convenient alternative to running wires back to a control point. The under track decoders take their power and signal from the track.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nhumps
Offline Alex H  
#11 Posted : 25 January 2023 21:08:12(UTC)
Alex H

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post
You shouldn't need power cables if you use the under track switch decoders (Marklin 74462). The manual for Marklin decoders says it does recognize DCC.

Thanks Im will use them BigGrin
Offline Alex H  
#12 Posted : 25 January 2023 21:11:51(UTC)
Alex H

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: nhumps Go to Quoted Post
I think you will run out of room quickly after the power drops are running under the track pieces. There may be sufficient space for 1 or 2 depending on wire gauge but it may well be an exercise in frustration too!

Depending on how many points and therefore budget the suggested switch decoders 74462 are a very suitable and convenient alternative to running wires back to a control point. The under track decoders take their power and signal from the track.

Thanks for the post - I have 29 points on the layout (12 in the sidings and 8 within the station area) but this layout is a retirement present to keep me occupied for the next 12 months, so I do have the budget.

Thanks again
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alex H