Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bryan  
#1 Posted : 19 January 2023 20:18:48(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Dear All

I have just had in for repair a Marklin 36321 BR81 loco. It is 6 months old and still actually under warrantee and bought in Europe. Firstly there was a fault with the MM/FX decoder, easily fixed. Still the loco would not run. The lights would work initially, however with the controller speed applied, the lights would flicker and the loco would not run. This was on both analog and digital. The current of the loco was then measured and it was 390mA. So the loco was stripped and cleaned and all the original grease was taken out. It was finally reassembled and Fleischmann oil used instead. Once the loco was reassembled, it ran like new. The current reading was now 165mA, a dramatic decrease.

Over the years I have always suspected the application of heavy grease in current model train manufacture. They all do it, Trix, Roco and the Chinese production Australian outline productions here. Really seems to be too heavy in grade for use in light weight model train gearboxes. Like the 36321, I have come across this before and basically always replace the grease during servicing, and always with better final results. It also maybe the case of once the grease slightly dries out, problems occur. So what is everyone else's experience with this heavy grease?

regards
David
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bryan
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 19 January 2023 21:09:22(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I havn't yet had any problems with, or noticed heavy grease on new models.
Offline bph  
#3 Posted : 19 January 2023 22:15:09(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Hi
did it look like it was the standard Tix grease used? or something else? eg in some "newer" locomotives, I have noticed that Marklin uses clear grease and not the brown Trix grease. could something else have been added?
and the Trix grease is nothing more than a very standard shell EP 2 industrial grease (Gadus S2 V220 2) containing additives for properties not needed in a model railroad locomotive. (ref the datasheet from Trix, and shell product info).
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 19 January 2023 23:11:03(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi David
Märklin fan from France here.
All my purchased locos are new (45 of them in the last 20 years).
Yes, since the adoption of wormgears, Märklin uses a soft grease (white on new models, brownish on recommended Trix grease).
Here, maybe because of absence of large temperature fluctuation, never was I bothered by a grease issue.
I suspect models don't appreciate extreme temperature especially the high temperatures.
My locos are used intensely with no need for grease. Only the old style Märklin motors "Coffeegrinders" require oil to run silently.
I suspect Lithium grease would be the best appropriate (Tamiya)
Cheers
Jean
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Mark5  
#5 Posted : 20 January 2023 03:12:12(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Hi Johnjean,
So what kind of oil do you use for your coffeegrinders?
And which models are those... ?
I will be going over all my old locos one by one to get them into tip top shape.
- Mark

Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
I suspect models don't appreciate extreme temperature especially the high temperatures.
My locos are used intensely with no need for grease. Only the old style Märklin motors "Coffeegrinders" require oil to run silently.
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 20 January 2023 12:02:51(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Mark
Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post

So what kind of oil do you use for your coffeegrinders?
And which models are those... ?

On all my locos I use Märklin oil 7149.
Some of my coffeegrinders 3036, 3037, 3075, 3072, 3001, SET800, SK800, 3096, 3002, 3003, 3005, 3352, 3610, 3014, 3050, 3016, 3309, 3065, 3021, 3038 and so many more.
Cheers
Jean

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline marklinist5999  
#7 Posted : 20 January 2023 14:06:54(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I don't oil any wheels or gears until they either squeak, get noisy, or I don't see any white grease on them. They don't need much, and any escessive can result in more frequently needed cleaning, and operational trouble. Marklin reccomends every 20 hours for most. Thats quite a long time. Lately I've been using "sparingly" Hetman brand medium bearing and linkage light synthetic oil for musical instrument rotray vales. It works very well on sticky coupler guides also. I find that it doesn't collect dirt. It dries up, and there isn't cleaning needed.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline bph  
#8 Posted : 20 January 2023 15:37:33(UTC)
bph

Norway   
one advice is to check for compatibility before switching grease/oil, unless you completely remove any old grease and oil. e.g. Since the Trix/shell grease is lithium based, it is incompatible with some other grease types.......

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by bph