Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Klaussic  
#1 Posted : 12 January 2023 01:41:25(UTC)
Klaussic

United States   
[color=blue]
Hello Everbody, I am the new guy. BigGrin

After around 55 years of exemption from model railroads, I finally got back into it. But when I started playing with Märklin H0 back in Germany in the golden 60ies, new trains were all analog and still affordable at below 100 Deutschmarks. Nowadays, and opposed to 6 decades ago, everything is now digital, insanely expensive, and I feel somewhat overwhelmed with all that added technology. Confused

I’m trying to find some reasonable deals on eBay for tracks and trains to get a starter platform together. But when I look up some more technical specs, I find myself with the difficulty to learn if, in example, the transformer for the tracks is suitable for 110V (that’s what we have in the US). Hence, I thought it might be a good idea to join this forum and see if there are some enthusiasts with knowledge in my area (greater New Orleans area in Louisiana). I would have to learn again from scratch and would like to build some nice railroad environments for my grandkids. Anybody in this forum willing to hold my hand as I go through this process? I may need tons of advices and recommendations to build the right thing and not to buy junk. And if you are from this area, I really would love to meet one day for some Märklin lessons.

Many thanks in advance for your invaluable input.

K
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Klaussic
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 12 January 2023 18:26:36(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Great Lakes region here, but I think there is a southeast chapter of the ETE group. (european train enthusiasts) A 220-230 volt circuit isn't that costly to do if you get any from accross the pond. I knew a German tool and die man for GM and he had all 220 volt Marklin transformers. He told me the trains run better too on it than 120 volts, but he had the older 6021 controllers. I don't know if it matters with switching mode power supplies like the newer MS2, and CS3's use. Mine run fine on 120.
Offline Klaussic  
#3 Posted : 12 January 2023 19:32:25(UTC)
Klaussic

United States   
Thanks for that info, I will look into that ETE group.
Yes, I can definitely see why the 220V version runs better. In Germany, 220V is standard, and 380V is what we use here as 220V high voltage. My concern simply was, if I buy a 220V transformer from Germany, how will it perform under 110V in the States. I don’t even know if Märklin produces any electrical equipment suitable for our US market. But since yours is working fine, I may just try this with a regular transformer 6631. Or do you think the analog trains are also controllable with a digital transformer 6023 or similar? I cannot find anything useable on Amazon, which would be easy to return. I order something from German, and freight is so high that it often is not worth it to ship it back when it doesn’t work.
Thanks again!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Klaussic
Offline 1borna  
#4 Posted : 12 January 2023 21:06:50(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
Analogue trains cannot be driven by transformers for digital controllers and by themselves!
The basic and important difference is that with analog driving the voltage on the track changes, while with digital it is
constant and high, the locomotives drive faster or slower thanks to the decoder inside that receives commands from
the steering wheel.
Study a little more various topics about it here on the forum and it will be clearer to you. As for transformers designed
for 220/230 volts on a current of 110 volts they will give half the lower voltage and will not be able to change the direction
of analog locomotives.
If you have more of them, it is worth getting a pre-transformer of the appropriate power that will raise the voltage from
110 to 220 volts.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline Mark5  
#5 Posted : 12 January 2023 21:31:59(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Klaussic Go to Quoted Post
Yes, I can definitely see why the 220V version runs better.

I have both 220v and 110v and both work perfectly fine.
You can easily acquire both kinds from within the US to minimize shipping issues and if you would like to then buy a step-up-step-down 110v-to-220v unit for around $20 or less.

But I prefer to go with the 110v "white trafos" like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/285081938057?

Cheaper ones are easily found too. The ETE guys near you would be great to contact.
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 12 January 2023 22:53:24(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Klaussic
Märklin fan (digital, HO, PC control) from Paris area.
In Europe voltage is standardized to 230 VAC (240 VAC in the UK)
Märklin offers regulated power supplies for the US market in case you want to run digital:
- 60045 with a US plug, 60 W 19 VDC, input voltage from 110 to 240 VAC
- 60195 with a US plug, 100 W 19 VDC, input voltage from 100 to 120 VAC

All these can feed a CS3 for a US digital layout.

Note: Märklin advises to keep 100 W PSUs for the 1 Scale but I use one (60101) for more than 10 years without any issue.
The reason is legal. They don't want to take the risk of fire cause by a weak wiring. The PSUs have a fantastic current protection where no deterioration can occur.
The only limit is with signals (sized for 2A)

Regarding the insane prices
Yes Märklin prices have increased but compare with Lionel prices.
I just purchased a BR 06 (39662) €566 instead of €629In your case that would be further 20% reduction because VAT-free. This time the seller was Haertle https://www.haertle.de/

My suggestion: to use a renowned distributor like MSL https://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/ or Haertle (see above) or others.
To demand prices w/o European VAT (19% in Germany) and they may ask you to provide your VAT number (not sure here).
Agreed I live in France (so its different) but once, during warranty I had a problem with a loco, they sent me the sticker for shipment-free sending back.
Add to this their prices are frequently below the official Märklin price list.
I don't know about US customs and their rate.

In my case, shipment is received between 3 to 5 days after the order.
Don't even think about changing the order once it has been validated

Don't give up on Märklin, it is so much fun like here with my little layout

Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Klaussic  
#7 Posted : 12 January 2023 23:02:11(UTC)
Klaussic

United States   
I sincerely appreciate your input. I may have to deal with the fact that I will start analog with used/preowned material to get back into the hobby and then switch to digital later when I know this is the hobby I really would like to pursue. For this matter, I will try to purchase transformers recommended by JohnJeanB that are suitable for US voltage.
Many thanks again!
K

Originally Posted by: 1borna Go to Quoted Post
Analogue trains cannot be driven by transformers for digital controllers and by themselves!
The basic and important difference is that with analog driving the voltage on the track changes, while with digital it is
constant and high, the locomotives drive faster or slower thanks to the decoder inside that receives commands from
the steering wheel.
Study a little more various topics about it here on the forum and it will be clearer to you. As for transformers designed
for 220/230 volts on a current of 110 volts they will give half the lower voltage and will not be able to change the direction
of analog locomotives.
If you have more of them, it is worth getting a pre-transformer of the appropriate power that will raise the voltage from
110 to 220 volts.

Offline Klaussic  
#8 Posted : 12 January 2023 23:22:39(UTC)
Klaussic

United States   
Bonjour JohnJeanB!

Many thanks for your extensive note, very helpful! I lived in Germany for nearly 30 years before I moved to Italy, then Chile, and finally, to USA. Different Electric Power Supply has been my constant companion and I am used to these challenges. I have some tracks already for analog operation and some others for digital trains. So, I will have a little mix for now and will try to get first started with analog in order to get back into the hobby. If I like it and stick to it, I will most likely switch to digital and will purchase then trains and tracks accordingly.

Having said this, I may have to seek US capable transformers for my analog operation first, before I jump on that expensive digital stuff. It’s great to know some good and reliable suppliers from Europe. Many thanks for that information. I will spy them out when it comes to purchases of new equipment. Right now, I’d like to find those opportunities where people are getting out of the hobby and sell older things for Pennies to the Dollar, and I found already a couple of older trains and wagons on eBay for a reasonable price. But if everything turns out to be very exciting and rewarding for me, I know I will spend money to go the extra mile.

When dealing with imports, sometimes, US customs doesn’t bother much with individuals and I might get away with sales taxes (VAT). But I will see that later on when it comes to that.

Later today, I will watch your YouTube video, and thanks for sharing that link with me. Every video I have seen so far is very inspiring and it may help to keep me away from my other hobby (riding insanely fast motorcycles), lol.

Thanks again for that input, I already can see that it is far easier going through this learning curve when experienced fellas are supportive with recommendations and insight.

Enjoy a fine rest of your week,

Merci bien,
K

Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Klaussic
Märklin offers regulated power supplies for the US market in case you want to run digital:

Note: Märklin advises to keep 100 W PSUs for the 1 Scale but I use one (60101) for more than 10 years without any issue.
The reason is legal. They don't want to take the risk of fire cause by a weak wiring. The PSUs have a fantastic current protection where no deterioration can occur.

I just purchased a BR 06 (39662) €566 instead of €629In your case that would be further 20% reduction because VAT-free. This time the seller was Haertle https://www.haertle.de/

My suggestion: to use a renowned distributor like MSL https://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/ or Haertle (see above) or others.
To demand prices w/o European VAT (19% in Germany) and they may ask you to provide your VAT number (not sure here).
Agreed I live in France (so its different) but once, during warranty I had a problem with a loco, they sent me the sticker for shipment-free sending back.

Cheers
Jean

Offline Klaussic  
#9 Posted : 13 January 2023 03:10:32(UTC)
Klaussic

United States   
I just watched your YouTube video. You have a quite impressive operation. I bet this wasn’t built in a couple of weeks, it looks like a life-long adventure. Really nice, I liked it.

Thanks again for sharing,

K
PS: At the end, it says “Die Ende”. You may want to change that to “Das Ende” Cool

Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Klaussic

Cheers
Jean

Offline Klaussic  
#10 Posted : 13 January 2023 03:15:24(UTC)
Klaussic

United States   
Hey Mark,

Many thanks for your info and for your great feedback.

I will try that eBay link. I also have gotten in touch with the ETE. Unfortunately, there is no chapter anywhere near New Orleans. But a nice guy (member coordinator) responded to my email and is looking for some contacts in my area. I might keep posting here and see how that all develops.

Many thanks again, you have a blessed week.

K

Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post
Yes, I can definitely see why the 220V version runs better.

I have both 220v and 110v and both work perfectly fine.
You can easily acquire both kinds from within the US to minimize shipping issues and if you would like to then buy a step-up-step-down 110v-to-220v unit for around $20 or less.

Cheaper ones are easily found too. The ETE guys near you would be great to contact.

Offline Alsterstreek  
#11 Posted : 13 January 2023 14:53:18(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
[...] in Germany in the golden 60ies, new trains were all analog and still affordable at below 100 Deutschmarks. Nowadays, and opposed to 6 decades ago, everything is now digital, insanely expensive[...]
Sentimentalism aside: Using a German inflation calculator demonstrates that DM 100 in 1960 equal DM 500 (thus roughly EUR 250) in 2022. For comparison, an Opel Kadett car was priced around DM 5,000 in the 1960s.

Yes, but...: The asking price for this analogue thingy is USD 133, while a reputable German dealer (who is shipping to the US of A) sells for USD 140 (plus freight) a new digital Mobile Station 2 complete with power pack and track connection:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/...shqty=1&isGTR=1#shId
Offline Klaussic  
#12 Posted : 13 January 2023 15:46:18(UTC)
Klaussic

United States   
One of my first cars was an Opel Kadett, it still was “cheap” in the Seventies. Nonetheless, a Märklin locomotive nowadays costs roughly between €500 and €800. I remember that the Euro at the beginning was around twice the Deutschmark. That would make a loco around DM1,000 to DM1,600. And I have the impression that nowadays several of them may even be made in China. BigGrin
Thanks for that input! Cool

Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
[...] in Germany in the golden 60ies, new trains were all analog and still affordable at below 100 Deutschmarks. Nowadays, and opposed to 6 decades ago, everything is now digital, insanely expensive[...]
Sentimentalism aside: Using a German inflation calculator demonstrates that DM 100 in 1960 equal DM 500 (thus roughly EUR 250) in 2022. For comparison, an Opel Kadett car was priced around DM 5,000 in the 1960s.

Yes, but...: The asking price for this analogue thingy is USD 133, while a reputable German dealer (who is shipping to the US of A) sells for USD 140 (plus freight) a new digital Mobile Station 2 complete with power pack and track connection:

Offline Alsterstreek  
#13 Posted : 13 January 2023 15:53:35(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
According to the Märklin dealer locator, there is a shop in your area, but you should rather call them to avoid disappointments…: Mike’s Train Shop, 2000 20th St., Kenner, LA 70062. Tel. (504) 466-853

The closest „real“ Märklin store (cum webshop) seems to be Annie Jewel & Charlie's Kids Inc. (https://ajckids.com) in Wichita Falls, TX. Inter alia, they sell a switched mode power pack for 120 volts / 60 Hertz input, as Märklin art. # Marklin 66367.
According to their website they can deliver Märklin starter sets with US 120 volt power supply: https://ajckids.com/coll...-scale-sets-starter-sets
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Klaussic  
#14 Posted : 13 January 2023 15:54:28(UTC)
Klaussic

United States   
One of my first cars was an Opel Kadett, it still was “cheap” in the Seventies. Nonetheless, a Märklin locomotive nowadays costs roughly between €500 and €800. I remember that the Euro at the beginning was around twice the Deutschmark. That would make a loco around DM1,000 to DM1,600. And I have the impression that nowadays several of them may even be made in China. BigGrin
Thanks for that input! Cool

With this Mobile Station 2 and the Power Pack, would I be able to operate analog trains and tracks? I think I need to find first some inexpensive analog equipment that works in the US in order to get my older stuff started. Later on, I will switch to digital once I know for myself that I like to pursue seriously this hobby. Does this make sense?
Thanks a lot!
K

Offline Alsterstreek  
#15 Posted : 13 January 2023 15:56:47(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
... a Märklin locomotive nowadays costs roughly between €500 and €800.
ajckids offers two Märklin starter sets with a "serious" locomotive model, respectively: art. 29060 for USD 270 and art. 29074 for USD 290.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline rbw993  
#16 Posted : 13 January 2023 15:59:30(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
I have dealt with AJCKids for years and they are excellent for service and technical support.

Welcome and best regards,
Roger
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline Klaussic  
#17 Posted : 13 January 2023 16:00:59(UTC)
Klaussic

United States   
Wow, can’t believe it, it’s just 3 minutes from my home (that Kenner address). Thanks for that, I will give them a call.
Much obliged,
K

According to the Märklin dealer locator, there is a shop in your area, but you should rather call them to avoid disappointments…: Mike’s Train Shop, 2000 20th St., Kenner, LA 70062. Tel. (504) 466-853

The closest „real“ Märklin store (cum webshop) seems to be Annie Jewel & Charlie's Kids Inc. (https://ajckids.com) in Wichita Falls, TX. Inter alia, they sell a switched mode power pack for input is 120 volts / 60 Hertz input, as Märklin art. # Marklin 66367.
According to their website they can deliver Märklin starter sets with US 120 volt power supply: https://ajckids.com/coll...-scale-sets-starter-sets

That’s also invaluable input, many thanks. I will check out Annie Jewel … as well. I really appreciate all your feedback, very helpful! Thank you,
K

Offline Klaussic  
#18 Posted : 13 January 2023 16:03:45(UTC)
Klaussic

United States   
That’s great to know, many thanks, Roger!

I hope I can find enthusiasts in this poorly developed area of the country. People around here are mostly enthusiastic about fishery and alligator hunting, lol.
K

Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post
I have dealt with AJCKids for years and they are excellent for service and technical support.

Roger

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Klaussic
Offline Alsterstreek  
#19 Posted : 13 January 2023 16:15:26(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
I hope I can find enthusiasts in this poorly developed area of the country.
There are forum members in Texas and Florida, but I guess that even for American standards that does not qualify as within the area...Glare

Offline vmsysprog  
#20 Posted : 13 January 2023 17:04:15(UTC)
vmsysprog

United States   
Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post

Roger

Sadly, this was not my experience. Their technical support is good. Service, not so much. (This was pre-Covid days). On two occasions, I called them, after about 10 business days, to find out the status of orders only to find they hadn’t been shipped. After each follow up call, the items were received within 5 business days. I wasn’t a big spender but a consistent one as I bought all my Marklin items from them. I don’t like to speak poorly of people but it would be a disservice to the list if I kept quiet. I considered myself kind and respectful when I talked to them. I no longer purchase from them. They did have pretty good prices.
YMMV
Steve
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by vmsysprog
Offline Alsterstreek  
#21 Posted : 13 January 2023 17:35:54(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
I just noted that there is another forum member active in Louisiana named “mcnall”. And not to forget “Mr. Ron” in Mississippi.
Offline dickinsonj  
#22 Posted : 14 January 2023 01:50:44(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: vmsysprog Go to Quoted Post

Sadly, this was not my experience.
Steve

It was my experience as well and I have bought many Marklin items from them over a good number of years. I guess we can all have a lapse in quality, as you had with Ajckids, and poor service after buying many items is a bad experience. But my business dealings with them have all been positive. Their tech support and warranty support are both top notch.

For many years I have consistently gotten great service, personal attention,and quick and reasonably priced shipping from Ajckids, and I have rewarded them with the majority of my Marklin trade. My Insider pike wagons were finally available from Marklin a week ago, after ordering them last February. But I was heading out of town for a week and would not be here to receive them. They held them back from shipment until earlier this week to coincide with my return. I got home yesterday. and they will be delivered tomorrow. That is good service.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Mark5  
#23 Posted : 14 January 2023 02:15:38(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: vmsysprog Go to Quoted Post

Sadly, this was not my experience.
Steve

It was my experience ..... That is good service.

On the one occasion I used their service they were very accommodating and understanding about shipping to Canada as I had to call them to talk about an a special order for a partial set, which they agreed to. I enjoy Charlie's explanations in his videos but cannot speak of technical help directly.

@dickinsonj you seemed to have a good experience but seem to start by saying your experience was similar wrt to shipping as @vmsysprog
Its unclear what was negative. As in most small family businesses as theirs is, I think many people waited for a lot of things during Covid. I would use their service again because I know I can call them and get someone on the line who will help me.

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline Klaussic  
#24 Posted : 14 January 2023 03:55:26(UTC)
Klaussic

United States   
I think everybody makes sometimes good and some other times bad experience with merchants around the globe. In a forum like this, it is quite interesting how many different opinions are posted for a specific topic or a specific business. It is important to read other members’ experience because often, it is all what we have to make an halfway informed decision of either building trust or staying away. I’m thankful for all the posts where members are sharing their experiences, which helps me making my own (experience). For over a decade, I’m a vivid Amazon.com shopper and I wish they had more Märklin stuff to offer, but I hardly find anything there. Maybe in their German operations, they carry more of Märklin. It is just so easy to deal with Amazon. As a Prime member, I feel to be treated very nicely, and returns are made just so easy and without being burdened with return shipping costs, like other merchants are practicing. Sorry I strayed away from the main topic, but it would make my life so much easier.

I will look for those Louisiana and Mississippi members, as mentioned in one of the above posts. And I will apply caution when purchasing from AJCKids, not giving them too much credit, but also not closing the door because of the negative experience some of you had made.

Again, many thanks to all of you for your invaluable input, I really enjoy reading all your comments and suggestions which are for me like the little balance wheels on a kid’s bicycle.

Enjoy a weekend filled with happiness and countless blessings,

K
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Klaussic
Offline dickinsonj  
#25 Posted : 14 January 2023 04:25:29(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
@dickinsonj you seemed to have a good experience but seem to start by saying your experience was similar wrt to shipping as @vmsysprog

My response was not clear. I meant that I had not had any bad experiences with Ajckids over many years.

Someone said they were well treated, @vmsysprog said it was not the case for them and I disagreed, because it was for me. It became a little convoluted.

They are a family business but treat me as well or better than the big boys like Amazon, with personal service and attention.They reserve items I preorder and ship them in groups when it is convenient for me, at the lowest cost. I don't see what more they could do to earn my business.

Sorry I was not more clear, but from my POV they are highly recommended.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline artfull dodger  
#26 Posted : 17 January 2023 19:37:07(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Welcome to the group! I myself hail from north central Indiana. I have trains in several scales, but my Marklin HO is stuck in the 60s and 70s with classic M track and analog control. I have messed with digital a bit, both early style and a more modern mobile station starter set. I found the older analog stuff more affordable. I can get loads of M track dirt cheap compared to C track and digital stuff for the switches and locomotives. But if you go digital, there are kits to update older locomotives to digital control. I will stick with my M track and simple transformer control. Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline Klaussic  
#27 Posted : 17 January 2023 21:26:29(UTC)
Klaussic

United States   
Originally Posted by: artfull dodger Go to Quoted Post
Welcome to the group! I myself hail from north central Indiana. I have trains in several scales, but my Marklin HO is stuck in the 60s and 70s with classic M track and analog control. I have messed with digital a bit, both early style and a more modern mobile station starter set. I found the older analog stuff more affordable. I can get loads of M track dirt cheap compared to C track and digital stuff for the switches and locomotives. But if you go digital, there are kits to update older locomotives to digital control. I will stick with my M track and simple transformer control. Mike

Hello Mike, thanks for your notes, mighty kind of you!
I am “re”-starting my H0 adventure, which I gave up on more or less in the early 70ies. I had nothing significant built back then, but I thought to give it another shot and build something for my grandkids (and for myself, of course). As much as I am a fanatic and passionate about nowadays technology (at my home, nothing is working without WiFi and Internet), I still think I may start with analog trains and tracks. As a personal taste, I prefer the K-tracks over the M (which I had over 50 years ago), just because they look more natural than the probably sturdier M-tracks. If there is a good source, besides eBay, where I can find good used or new K-tracks, transformers, switches, turns and what not, I really would appreciate you could point me in the right direction. And yes, it would be great to know the technique of how to transform analog trains to digital control, whenever I like to go that route.

Thus far, I have received great comments, suggestions and recommendations from other members of this portal, which I am very grateful for. But I surely appreciate any other piece of advice that I can get in order to make wise choices for my buying decisions which I like to make soon. I don’t want to spend a fortune without knowing if I even consider continuing this hobby, or if my grandkids even like it. But if I don’t try it, I won’t ever know.

So, if you have some ideas of where I can find good analog equipment (used or new, and other than eBay) that doesn’t break the bank and that could get me up and running with some basic stuff, that would be really much appreciated. And if you have equipment you like to sell, I am surely open to discuss in more details.

Thanks again, and enjoy a fine rest of your week!

Klaus

Offline artfull dodger  
#28 Posted : 18 January 2023 06:34:52(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Ebay is once source, you can put wanted posts here on the forum in the wanted to buy area. I have gotten many things there. I have been in and out of Marklin for many years. I am slowly getting back in as a shop in Indianapolis got in a large zip lock bag of Marklin, a 3081, a few freight wagons, couple passenger coaches. I bought that for next to nothing. Then I got a bunch of M track, along with several signals and a metal case transformer for USA voltage, I think from a member here. You can also watch facebook marketplace if your on that site. I do not know the shops down your way or the model train shows. But all can be a source. Many times I will find one or two items, or a whole bunch at the local shows. They are usually mixed in with all the other stuff, so a sharp eye looking at each table of second hand trains in pop can flats is necessary. I also have some catenary and a locomotive to run off that. I am on the hunt for a nice pair of Santa Fe F7's. I am torn between keeping or selling my prewar Lionel and Scale Craft OO scale trains. If I do, that $$ will go back into more Marklin. Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline cintrans  
#29 Posted : 19 January 2023 03:51:05(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Hello Klaus

I got back in model trains only a few years ago, i used to have a Lima lay-out back in Belgium in the late 70's early 80's, but on this side of the pond i started with Marklin analog trains just a few years ago via a friend that had a small Marklin museum here on the Island.
In the mean time i "upgraded" to digital, mainly by converting my analog and delta lok's with decoder and motor kits (i like to tinker BigGrin) and got myself a 6021 and ESU Ecos controller for the digital stuff

No local train / model shops here, so all has to be imported, mostly from Europe as there is a good supply of good and affordable used material available on that side of the pond.
I mostly try not to spend more then $100; when buying a "new" (to me...) lok, you would be amazed what is out there if you do your homework and execute patience!
Shipping it to here is sometimes on the pricey side, but solutions to that are friends and family that make the overseas trip and are willing to function as "couriers" BigGrin

Some places i bought from in the past:
https://www.benontspoord.nl/
https://www.maddog-trains.com/
https://www.cc-rails.com/
https://www.marktplaats.nl/
to name a few.....

Was lucky to be able to buy a a whole bunch of K-track, lok's, freight cars and other Marklin goodies from the widow of a long time Marklin collector, that past away a few years ago, who decided that it was time to dismantle his lay-out and offer it up for sale locally.... (BTW she has still a lot of pieces left....)

120V mains here, so for the 220V transformer for the 6021 i use a simple step-up 110 to 220v transformer.

Hope this helps a bit in your quest!

Regards
Jean-Pierre

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cintrans
Offline Mr. Ron  
#30 Posted : 23 January 2023 21:01:25(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
[color=blue]

After around 55 years of exemption from model railroads, I finally got back into it. But when I started playing with Märklin H0 back in Germany in the golden 60ies, new trains were all analog and still affordable at below 100 Deutschmarks. Nowadays, and opposed to 6 decades ago, everything is now digital, insanely expensive, and I feel somewhat overwhelmed with all that added technology. Confused

I’m trying to find some reasonable deals on eBay for tracks and trains to get a starter platform together. But when I look up some more technical specs, I find myself with the difficulty to learn if, in example, the transformer for the tracks is suitable for 110V (that’s what we have in the US). Hence, I thought it might be a good idea to join this forum and see if there are some enthusiasts with knowledge in my area (greater New Orleans area in Louisiana). I would have to learn again from scratch and would like to build some nice railroad environments for my grandkids. Anybody in this forum willing to hold my hand as I go through this process? I may need tons of advices and recommendations to build the right thing and not to buy junk. And if you are from this area, I really would love to meet one day for some Märklin lessons.

K

Like you, I am getting back into model railroading after many years absence. This time around, I decided to go with Marklin. After checking the cost of both new and used stuff, I decided on the M-track system which is very much cheaper than the C and K track systems. I bought all of my M-track, switches, locomotives, rolling stock and accessories used off of E-bay. I believe I paid about 1/4 the cost of new. You are limited to a 437.4 mm radius curve in M-track. There are adapter track sections that allow you to connect M-track with C or K-track so you can use a larger radius if needed. I live in South Mississippi, but still an hour away from your location. I have mobility issues, so I am a stay-at-home modeler. I may be able to help you with questions if you need help.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline Klaussic  
#31 Posted : 23 January 2023 22:29:39(UTC)
Klaussic

United States   
Originally Posted by: Mr. Ron Go to Quoted Post
[color=blue]

K

Like you, I am getting back into model railroading after many years absence. This time around, I decided to go with Marklin. After checking the cost of both new and used stuff, I decided on the M-track system which is very much cheaper than the C and K track systems. I bought all of my M-track, switches, locomotives, rolling stock and accessories used off of E-bay. I believe I paid about 1/4 the cost of new. You are limited to a 437.4 mm radius curve in M-track. There are adapter track sections that allow you to connect M-track with C or K-track so you can use a larger radius if needed. I live in South Mississippi, but still an hour away from your location. I have mobility issues, so I am a stay-at-home modeler. I may be able to help you with questions if you need help.

Hello Ron, thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Although I like the K track more as it looks a bit more natural, M track is what I used in my childhood. However, nothing of that is left (pity), and I have to purchase everything from scratch. On eBay, I found a few things, but mostly all important from predominately Germany or other European countries. Not much available on US ground, it seems.

I rode through Vancleave several times while doing motorcycle trips through that area. It wouldn’t be a huge distance to overcome to visit from time to time and get some help with technology and my buying challenges. Riding (motorcycle) season will start soon and depending on your availability, I would be more than happy to coordinating a meeting. If that’s an option for you, you may want to send me a message to my inbox and we can exchange contact info. So far, you have been geographically the nearest of all nice guys in this forum that have helped me so far to get a better insight in the Märklin world.

Thanks again for your message and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

K