Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mr. Ron  
#1 Posted : 15 December 2022 11:00:00(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
Growing up on Long Island, N.Y. I was surrounded by railroads. The Long Island, Pennsylvania, NY Central, B&M, Central of N.J. were within a stones throw from my house. I was brought up with 2 rail HO. The center solid rail of Marklin and their toy like appearance turned me off to them. Now in my late 80's, after a few decades of non model railroading, I am trying to build my last model railroad. I really wanted to go with 2 rail, but I went with Marklin instead. Marklin has a lot of pluses and minuses for me. I like both European and U.S. prototypes, but prefer an American background to a European one. I went with Marklin because of the ease of setting up trains quickly but find it hard to incorporate a European theme in the U.S. I like the idea of TCC, but can't afford it. Ho cars and locomotives are also very expensive. A freight car that now costs around $35 used to be less than $10 and even that was expensive back in the late 40's when I started modeling. All my Marklin trains I bought used. I have about $1500 invested and I don't intend on spending any more. I am now stuck with what I have and will try to do the best with what I got. Thanks to this Marklin forum, I can stay active in model railroading. As this is my railroad, expect to see German trains running in an American setting with American houses and buildings along with American scenery. I sure love those European scenes with the Alps for a background, but will have to live with a flat Mississippi one.
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#2 Posted : 15 December 2022 11:51:46(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
Mr Ron,

No worries from me!

Rule #1: It is your railroad, run what you like! BigGrin

and, co-incidentally, just a few days ago...

https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...3findunread-American-ICE

Rule #2: There is a Prototype for Everything!Love
Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 15 December 2022 14:12:21(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Mr Ron
Nice to read from you again.
The choice is easier now beween 2 rails and 3 rails:
- if your key need is to use the majority of US locos and rolling stock, then Trix is there for you
- if your key need is European trains and the 3 rails advantages (simple detection, no constrains in layout design) then Märklin is the choice.

Note: it is best to avoid convertion models from 2 rails to 3 rails or vice versa except on recent Trix models where only wiring change and pick-up replacement is needed.
Cheers
Jean
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 15 December 2022 14:24:29(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Just do what you love most

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 15 December 2022 22:43:52(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Mr. Ron Go to Quoted Post
Growing up on Long Island, N.Y. I was surrounded by railroads. The Long Island, Pennsylvania, NY Central, B&M, Central of N.J. were within a stones throw from my house. .... As this is my railroad, expect to see German trains running in an American setting with American houses and buildings along with American scenery. I sure love those European scenes with the Alps for a background, but will have to live with a flat Mississippi one.

Hi Ron,
I am glad you have found the Marklin-user forum useful and helpful.
I have some 2 rail and model Pennsylvania - great railroad!
Your American scenery would be very creative I am sure.
And a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you.

Kimball in Australia

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Bill L  
#6 Posted : 16 December 2022 00:55:22(UTC)
Bill L

United States   
One thing good about this hobby is that none of your passenger cars and freight cars that you have purchased years ago get outdated. Video games get outdated and thrown away. Take a look at this Marklin layout with mostly US trains by Alsterstreek. The layout seems to use very little space, very compact, but I love how it runs with many different US trains. https://www.marklin-user...-Desmaigne-Project/page7
I have Metal M track, K track and a few C track all connected together on my layout, so none of the old tracks are outdated. I still use my old trusted 6021 controller.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Bill L
Offline dickinsonj  
#7 Posted : 18 December 2022 01:37:00(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Many good comments on Mr. Ron's excellent post. I think it captures the heart of what model railroading means to many or us.

I had missed seeing your posts for a while there Mr. Ron and wondered if your quest for that new layout was still on.

Your positive attitude and ability to keep your eye on the MRR prize are inspiring to me.

Good luck on the layout building and keep us informed. I always enjoy your posts.

Merry Christmas to All.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Goofy  
#8 Posted : 18 December 2022 07:03:57(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Mr. Ron Go to Quoted Post
Growing up on Long Island, N.Y. I was surrounded by railroads. The Long Island, Pennsylvania, NY Central, B&M, Central of N.J. were within a stones throw from my house. I was brought up with 2 rail HO. The center solid rail of Marklin and their toy like appearance turned me off to them. Now in my late 80's, after a few decades of non model railroading, I am trying to build my last model railroad. I really wanted to go with 2 rail, but I went with Marklin instead. Marklin has a lot of pluses and minuses for me. I like both European and U.S. prototypes, but prefer an American background to a European one. I went with Marklin because of the ease of setting up trains quickly but find it hard to incorporate a European theme in the U.S. I like the idea of TCC, but can't afford it. Ho cars and locomotives are also very expensive. A freight car that now costs around $35 used to be less than $10 and even that was expensive back in the late 40's when I started modeling. All my Marklin trains I bought used. I have about $1500 invested and I don't intend on spending any more. I am now stuck with what I have and will try to do the best with what I got. Thanks to this Marklin forum, I can stay active in model railroading. As this is my railroad, expect to see German trains running in an American setting with American houses and buildings along with American scenery. I sure love those European scenes with the Alps for a background, but will have to live with a flat Mississippi one.

A good point is to try mixed layout with both 2-rail and Märklin tracks.
I have seen layouts in real and in the Youtube.
You can use Märklins new digital system CS3 and mfx protocol in both 2-rail and Märklin track.
Yes even alone to use DCC protocol.
The list are long and you do what you feel best.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline mike c  
#9 Posted : 18 December 2022 18:39:14(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
You could opt for Maerklin radii for one or two tracks and Trix for a non-connected parallel line. That way, you could run AC and DC trains on the same layout.
I had been thinking about using R4 and R5 for my Maerklin mainline and having a Trix R3 track on the inside for DC operation.

This was my idea for en eventual layout, because that way, I could run my Hag, Maerklin, Roco and other AC trains on the mainline and still have the ability to run my few DC trains alongside them.

You could choose whether you wanted the DC to be the inner or outer loop.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Mr. Ron  
#10 Posted : 19 December 2022 01:55:59(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
Many good comments on Mr. Ron's excellent post. I think it captures the heart of what model railroading means to many or us.

I had missed seeing your posts for a while there Mr. Ron and wondered if your quest for that new layout was still on.

Your positive attitude and ability to keep your eye on the MRR prize are inspiring to me.

Good luck on the layout building and keep us informed. I always enjoy your posts.

Merry Christmas to All.

Thank you for your kind endorsement. I ask many questions and although I have been interested in trains off and on for at least 75 years, one might think I should be well informed. That is not the case. You can never know all there is to know. I am still trying to understand DCC. I probably won't go the DCC route and stay with DC and AC Marklin. I like the idea of combining AC and DC trains on the same layout. That would settle the arguement (in my mind at least) of which system to use. When in doubt, go with both. I know I ask a lot from this forum and my questions may sound dumb, repetitive or both, my aim is not only to learn, but also to pass on whatever knowledge I possess to others. I have learned over the years that as future model railroaders come on the scene, they will need all the help they can get, hence the repetitive questions. This hobby needs future model railroaders in order for this hobby to continue to grow. I have seen the progression of interest in trains over the years. Trains were of interest in areas where real trains were running. With the lack of trains in an area due to car, bus and truck transportation, trains have taken a back seat. The old timers are still out there, but age takes its share, leaving the younger generation that has grown up with much less exposure to trains. I grew up in an area (New York City) where trains were all around me. I couldn't help but not have an interest in trains. Now that I am retired on the Mississippi gulf coast, I never see a train and that explains the lack of interest in trains. Video games hasn't helped. They occupy kids minds. Trains are the last thing on their mind. Where I live, there is one(1) model railroad club. I visited it but found it was unlike any big club, like those featured in magazines. It did have a small HO layout, but also a lego railroad layout, an outdoor ride-on train for children and a small G gauge layout. I must commend them for addressing children as they may be future model railroaders, but little encouragement for old timer railroaders. There are NO model railroad shops in my area of the country. The big box stores carry children's versions of train sets, but if you want other train parts or accessories, I have to order it on line. If this hobby is to survive, we need new model railroaders. I notice model railroading is more popular in Europe and in Great Britain. That, I surmise, is due to the extensive passenger rail systems in GB and Europe. Not to leave out the U.S. trains are still of interest in major cities where there is still some train activity going on, but in the small rural areas of this country, train interest is dead.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline Harryv40  
#11 Posted : 19 December 2022 10:11:54(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Hi Mr Ron
I started with two rail DC has a child, then put it away for 20 years, sold it and got into N Gauge, but found it was not for me. So I ended up with Marklin and for the most part I really enjoy it. I don’t know if my fellow members would agree but I would buy a Marklin starter set with a mobile station, this would give you the opportunity to try the whole dcc/Marklin arrangement without a massive commitment.

My layout is on a small scale, I have a noch layout board with Marklin ho track and for the space I have it works for me. Although the older Marklin models do not have DCC as standard the modern one do.

Also don’t get hang up about buy new, a lot of members on this forum sell surplus items, also model railway exhibitions are attended by dealers in the UK, it maybe the same in the US, of course you have eBay, but you have to be selective.

Enjoy the hobby, run the trains you want, remember for the most part only a few people will see them run. My final two points, firstly purchase your stock slowly and build your collection, also remember companies like HAG, Roco, Piko and many other produce 3 Rail locos. Piko is very good for three rail non dcc locos. Finally ask the forum for advice we are all happy to help.
Harry
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Harryv40
Offline Copenhagen  
#12 Posted : 19 December 2022 13:59:56(UTC)
Copenhagen

Mr Ron clearly says that he doesn't intend to spend more money, so it's just a matter of getting going with what he already has - which is perfectly fine.
Just having a simple layout and running with what you have is quite pleasing.
Offline David Dewar  
#13 Posted : 19 December 2022 14:21:06(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Ron I find the older you get it is better to keep things simple. Using Marklin C track is great and allows turnouts with decoders to avoid wiring. Setting up a shuttle track with just circuit tracks is also easy. I just use the CS3 Plus to control without any additions other than S88.
Mainly just do what you want and are happy with.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by David Dewar