Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mr. Ron  
#1 Posted : 02 December 2022 18:43:53(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
Looking at the engine cabs of british and American locomotives, I can see many, many gauges and valves in the American engine cab, but very few in a British engine cab. British engines seem to operate very well as their layout is simple compared to an American cab. My question is: Why does an American steam locomotive have so many valves and gauges and a british engine have so few?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline EMD_GP7  
#2 Posted : 02 December 2022 21:35:50(UTC)
EMD_GP7

A steam locomotive only needs a few controls to make it work.
These are , A regulator ( Throttle) , Reverser/cut off control, Cylinder drain valve control, and a means of getting water into the boiler, a blower valve, Steam pressure gauge and
water level gauge(s) .
In addition there are usually brake controls but simple locos used a hand brake instead or as well.
The complication comes with additions like mechanical stoker which requires about 7 or 8 valves to control the steam jets, Turbo alternator controls, and gauges for pressure indication and temperature of parts of the steam circuit, not to mention soot blowers and other gadgets .
I tried to show a photo of my 5 inch gauge loco controls but cannot see how to pst a photo easily.
Colin

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by EMD_GP7
Offline Mr. Ron  
#3 Posted : 03 December 2022 18:47:03(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
Originally Posted by: EMD_GP7 Go to Quoted Post
A steam locomotive only needs a few controls to make it work.
These are , A regulator ( Throttle) , Reverser/cut off control, Cylinder drain valve control, and a means of getting water into the boiler, a blower valve, Steam pressure gauge and
water level gauge(s) .
In addition there are usually brake controls but simple locos used a hand brake instead or as well.
The complication comes with additions like mechanical stoker which requires about 7 or 8 valves to control the steam jets, Turbo alternator controls, and gauges for pressure indication and temperature of parts of the steam circuit, not to mention soot blowers and other gadgets .
I tried to show a photo of my 5 inch gauge loco controls but cannot see how to pst a photo easily.
Colin

Ah! That explains it.
Offline Alsterstreek  
#4 Posted : 05 December 2022 12:03:16(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
... but cannot see how to pst a photo easily.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-12-05 um 10.59.07.png
Offline EMD_GP7  
#5 Posted : 05 December 2022 14:37:48(UTC)
EMD_GP7

Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
... but cannot see how to pst a photo easily.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-12-05 um 10.59.07.png

Thanks for the explanation, I used Quick reply which does not have the menu !

Here is the photo I wanted to post showing the controls of my 5 inch gauge loco which has minimal controls but still works.

File0569.jpg
You can see the regulator ( Centre) , reverser ( Left), Handbrake ( Right) Water gauges on boiler backhead , and cylinder drain cock control at base of handbrake column. Pressure gauge and whistle valve on top of firebox.

To add further to the original question, British locomotives had the basic controls but did not need many others.
They did not usually have mechanical stokers, generators, water heaters, but had things like carriage steam warming valves, Vacuum brakes ( one control for loco and train), and a few more depending on the loco or railway concerned.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by EMD_GP7