Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline W3Machinist  
#1 Posted : 18 November 2022 19:50:04(UTC)
W3Machinist

United States   
I am a novice on digital, and wish to understand the uses of the 2295, its advantages and disadvantages and how it compares to mechanical circuit track or magnetic circuit track?
thank you for any help you can give!
W3machinist
Offline cintrans  
#2 Posted : 22 November 2022 02:02:24(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Hi there

I did not see any reaction on your question, so let me take a shot at trying to answer you....

These two pieces of rail have an open (cut) in one side of the rails, so you can effectively isolate one side of a certain length of track with it. The moment a lok or rolling stock goes over that piece of track, the isolated part will become "energized" (by the "0" side of the Marklin circuit) via the axles of the train. Could be used to power e.o. a crossing or similar stuff.

Advantage:
No moving parts, a "signal" as long as the train is between the two "open" points in the track instead of the momentary signal of the mechanical one....

Hope this helps

Regards
Jean-Pierre
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cintrans
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 22 November 2022 02:35:50(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
It is handy when you've got a siding or station tracks and you would like to run your trains automatic, if you locate your contact tracks on either end side of the siding, anything that is on this track will energize this track and tells (memory, S88's, track plan) there is something on this track and another train will not enter this track., it is usually placed behind the closest point of turnouts., whereas the outside tack is live and the inside track is mute unless there are wheels on the track.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline W3Machinist  
#4 Posted : 22 November 2022 03:52:54(UTC)
W3Machinist

United States   
Originally Posted by: cintrans Go to Quoted Post
Hi there

I did not see any reaction on your question, so let me take a shot at trying to answer you....

These two pieces of rail have an open (cut) in one side of the rails, so you can effectively isolate one side of a certain length of track with it. The moment a lok or rolling stock goes over that piece of track, the isolated part will become "energized" (by the "0" side of the Marklin circuit) via the axles of the train. Could be used to power e.o. a crossing or similar stuff.

Advantage:
No moving parts, a "signal" as long as the train is between the two "open" points in the track instead of the momentary signal of the mechanical one....

Hope this helps

Regards
Jean-Pierre

After doing more digging, I found contact tracks(mechanical or magnetic) are useful for the actuation of solenoid devices, The circuit has the potential of burning out solenoids as the circuit is always on as long as any car or Loco is inside the circuit area.I found 3 recommendations for use. Turn on lights(like at a station, automatic road crossing with arms, or as a track occupation signal(as a hidden storage track, or inside a mountain, etc)

Thank you for your information and concern with my issue.

Happy railroading,
Woody Woodward BigGrin
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 22 November 2022 12:17:07(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Woody
Originally Posted by: W3Machinist Go to Quoted Post
The circuit has the potential of burning out solenoids as the circuit is always on as long as any car or Loco is inside the circuit area.I found 3 recommendations for use.

Long streches of detection are mostly used in combination with a Central Station or an equivalent. Why?
Because it allows to protect a long zone of track by detecting its occupation. Where the CS kicks in is it transforms this signal into activation of solenoids not during the occupation or non-occupation but rather when the occupation starts (e.g.: to turn a signal red) or when it ends (e.g.: to turn a signal green or to start a MEMORY string of commands)

To come back to your first question, Märklin designed the 2295 to provide an easy start to contact tracks creation. Of course, later, with insulated rail joiners or regular rail pieces cut with a Dremel / Proxxon-like tool you may design the contact section according to your needs either very short ones (e.g.: to trigger a decoupler) or very long ones (occupancy or level crossing)
At the begin of this video you can see the use of contact tracks to:
- slow down a train
- uncouple a loco
- reverse its direction
- etc

These detection sections play a key role in automation of a layout
Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB