Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline veloboldie  
#1 Posted : 26 October 2021 05:24:54(UTC)
veloboldie

United States   
IMG_3402.jpegI recently acquired Marklin's 2021 New Item, i.e. Class 212 Diesel Locomotive (Marklin 88214) which is a great addition to my Noch Cortina layout. I was very surprised how quiet it is and runs exceptionally smooth. It must be the its motor with a bell-shaped armature. I think the best part are the lights changing from three whites to two reds, depending what direction this locomotive travels. I bought mine at ajckids.com at a sale price.

Edited by user 27 October 2021 01:00:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by veloboldie
Offline zscalehobo  
#2 Posted : 26 October 2021 22:41:34(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
These do have bell-shaped armature. Here's one I tested before shipping ...
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by zscalehobo
Offline Zme  
#3 Posted : 27 October 2021 00:17:23(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello everyone. Hope all is well.

Yes, I like this model also. That new motor is a key to the quiet operation. It is so smooth. A joy to add to any collection.

Often the headlights are not as bright as the ones on this model. They stand right out there with great lighting effect. Can’t miss this one coming or going.

Take good care.

Dwight

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Zme  
#4 Posted : 27 October 2021 01:39:49(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. I just remembered my one complaint about the Br 100/212.

The buffers fall off. If anyone knows the secret to reinstall these let me know. They are supposed to just clip back in, but seems no matter what I do, it just keeps falling off.

Thanks for your input.

Dwight
Offline Carim  
#5 Posted : 27 October 2021 11:34:45(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Hi Dwight,

I think that you must have a defective model Crying rather than this being a generic fault with the type; I have a 88216 and the buffers have never fallen off - but now, since I said that, I've probably jinxed myself Huh Cursing

Carim

Edited by user 27 October 2021 16:34:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Zme  
#6 Posted : 27 October 2021 15:33:10(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello. Hope all is well

I think you are right. I have one or two which are like this. On one end a buffer is loose. I believe someone before me, dropped it and now this happens. I got a replacement filigree handrail but have had little success in getting the buffer to stay.

It is a small annoyance after all. Most of mine, honestly don’t have this problem, just the abused ones. Be careful and watch them, once they hit the floor, good luck.

This model is still one of my favorite and the most recent release is probably the best yet. It is a shame more weight was not added along with the new motor. I guess this would have been a challenge. It is terrific for a pulling medium sized strings of wagons.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline Mman  
#7 Posted : 27 October 2021 16:36:20(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
0444A60B-F58A-4C92-9AFA-545E7165540D.jpegI have what appears to be the Austrian version of this loco, 88218, ÖBB class 2048. It has the special motor and does indeed pull steadily, smoothly and quietly unless you give it the full 10 volts when it develops a ‘growl’.
Very low current consumption and stays nice and cool, it weighs in at 24.9 gr.
I bought mine from a shop in Vienna at what seems to be a good price back in 2019.
ChrisG
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Mman
Offline pstam  
#8 Posted : 16 November 2022 09:24:48(UTC)
pstam

Greece   
Hello,
I am an 88214 owner facing a power problem.
When I put the loco to the rails the power drops but the loco doesn't move.
This happened suddenly.
Do you have any suggestions?

IMG20221116101129.jpgIMG20221116101207.jpg
Offline Carim  
#9 Posted : 16 November 2022 10:53:43(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Hi,

First of all, check that the loco is sitting properly on the rails. If still no joy, have you not used it for some time? Could be hardened oil syndrome (HOS) - you may see some wax on the gears, etc - you will need to clean the engine. Have a look at this site: http://www.zscale.org/

I ususlly apply electricity directly to the motor first to check it works. If the motor works, I then work (applying power to the component) my way through the mechanism from the motor to the wheels to see where there is a problem.

Carim
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Carim
ZmeDonb
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#10 Posted : 16 November 2022 21:29:29(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: pstam Go to Quoted Post
Hello,
I am an 88214 owner facing a power problem.
When I put the loco to the rails the power drops but the loco doesn't move.
This happened suddenly.
Do you have any suggestions?

That looks to me like a short circuit somewhere. You'd expect the rail voltage to drop a bit on load but to reduce to practically nothing is indicative of a fault.

If you measure the resistance between the rails with no controller connected but the locomotive on the rails this will confirm this. Normal would be greater than 6o Ohms or so, anything less than 5 Ohms would indicate a fault.

There could be a bit of stray metal in there somewhere - I'd remove the bogies one at at time and measure the resistance between opposing wheels - you should get a very high reading here, but again any thing of a few Ohms or less indicates something is wrong. I don't have one of these myself, but looking at the exploded diagram I can see potential for the contacts between bogie and PCB shorting onto the metal chassis and that could cause exactly this problem.
Failing that I fear the motor may have failed, which is bad news, but quite unusual, I think. However I expect the loco is still under warranty, so not all bad news.

Hope that's of help, all the best

Chris
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
DonbZmeCarim
Offline Zme  
#11 Posted : 17 November 2022 01:05:42(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello,hope all is well. This is a great locomotive.

This locomotive has the new bell armature, but it still could be hardened oil at the bogies. Perhaps it was not stored, wheels down.

It is easy to check for shorting by removing the top shell. Just pull it up straight avoiding the handrails. Try it on the track when this is removed. If it works now, the short could be from the top shell. Sometimes unwanted contact may be solved with a bit of electrical tape. You might discover some obvious cause of problems, I am not sure where another short may occur.

Could you tell me if this locomotive was working and then suddenly stopped? I have not heard of a motor failure on these as they are relatively new,

If this is still under warranty, it is best to seek a solution with Marklin. Here is a link to the parts diagram for this one:

https://static.maerklin....61b3e7f6c11611045619.pdf

Let us know what you discover.

Best wishes, take good care.

Dwight

Offline Poor Skeleton  
#12 Posted : 17 November 2022 23:33:32(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
Hello,hope all is well. This is a great locomotive.

I have to say I'd really like one myself! From the exploded drawing I see that it has reduction gearing in the bogies and this always seems to promote smooth running. I'm hoping to pick up an 88697 when it's released (next year, perhaps...)

All the best

Chris

Offline Zme  
#13 Posted : 20 November 2022 21:26:14(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

Don’t get me started about the V100/212. I believe I have mentioned how is feel about this model a while back(love it!)

It is interesting, the 88690 and the 88697 appear very much alike. Same ERA and everything. The 88690 of course, has the five pole motor. I suspect the new model will have greater detail in addition to the new motor.

Take good care.

Dwight